Teens on Princess?

keristin24

We've taken our girls (13 &15) on Royal and Carnival before.  We've found an itinerary that we love on the brand new Sky Princess, but have never sailed with Princess.  I'm getting mixed reviews online.  The price and itinerary are great, but concerned that it might be an older crowd and not as fun.  Anyone have thoughts on if our teens will be bored?  ps-They don't participate in the Kids-Clubs.  Thanks!

From what I've read, there have been comments about not being as much fun for teens.  I was paraphrasing what I had read.  My parents are a lot of fun and are in their 60's.  I have no doubt that older people are fun.

49 minutes ago, keristin24 said:

We've taken our girls (13 &15) on Royal and Carnival before.  We've found an itinerary that we love on the brand new Sky Princess, but have never sailed with Princess.  I'm getting mixed reviews online.  The price and itinerary are great, but concerned that it might be an older crowd and not as fun.  Anyone have thoughts on if our teens will be bored?  ps-They don't participate in the Kids-Clubs.  Thanks!

I would be slightly staggered if 13 & 15 year olds wanted to go to kids clubs.

They will love it, let them just have the freedom of the ship, and dont embarrass them by wanting them near you. Parents do this appaerently.

They will be fine, and will feel like grown ups.

Just dont let them on board on my cruise. Cant bear kids.😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also...don't discount the Teen Club.  On the new ships, they are pretty nice spots.  Your kids would probably prefer to hang out in the hot tub at the Teen Center than hang out in the hot tub with the older crowd.  Also, signing up for the Teen Club is a great way to simply meet up with new friends.  No obligation to actually stay at the Teen Center.  But they have to be signed up to go there to meet others.  In other words, after they meet some new friends on day one, day two might be: "Let's meet at the Teen Center at noon and then we'll figure out what we want to do."  But in order to do that, they have to be registered.  My daughter signed up on every cruise from age 13-18 and made many new friends.  But on average, she probably spent less than a third of the time actually in the Teen Club.  The rest of the time the kids were out and about at pools, movies, dining venues, etc.  But instead of herding cats, it was just easier for all her friends to pick a time to meet at the Teen Center as home base.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keristin24 said:

They like the dancing during dinner on Carnival.  The fun games buy the pool, comedy shows, etc...  Just curious what types of activities there are on Princess. 

No dancing during diner

If you are in the Caribbean there may be some pool games.

Princess pretty much has a family rated comedian on board as a guest entertainer. The shows will be in the theater. There is no comedy club. There is a youth center for teens

3 hours ago, keristin24 said:

Mixed reviews? The ship is not in service yet.  🤔

What cruise? What date?

We took our teens, 17 & 16 on the Grand in June for a 10 day Alaska cruise and they were fine.  We did not pay for internet so they had to find things to do.  They did not participate in the teen club.  They did hang out with us a bit but they also wandered off on their own a lot as well.  They did not swim but we saw others that did.

They did most of the onboard activities:   trivia, art auctions (watched), karaoke, the voice, princess theater, Movie's under the stars (one night) . . we just highlighted the patter every day and went off in pairs or as a family off and on depending on what everyone wanted to do.  Nobody complained of being bored.    And, of course, lots of eating 🙂  They loved it. 

45 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Mixed reviews? The ship is not in service yet.  🤔

What cruise? What date?

Sorry, I heard mixed reviews on Princess in general.  It’s the Eastern Caribbean over spring break. 

29 minutes ago, keristin24 said:

Sorry, I heard mixed reviews on Princess in general.  It’s the Eastern Caribbean over spring break. 

I think they will have a blast..

If you book it..........

Closer to the cruise if you call Princess they will give you an age breakdown for kids booked on your cruise.

I think your kids will enjoy the cruise.  They could be home working at a burger joint to help pay for their college.

Spring break is a great time to cruise with kids.  That is why I never again will book a cruise during spring break.

The things about kids that upset the average Princess cruiser are:

Taking up seats in the bars.  Playing on the stairs or elevators.  Hogging the dance floor.  Running.  Trying to use the adult pool area.  Talking loudly. Littering.  And the worst sin they can do is that stupid dance called The Floss.  That is the biggest dork alert known to mankind.

5 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

I think your kids will enjoy the cruise.  They could be home working at a burger joint to help pay for their college.

Spring break is a great time to cruise with kids.  That is why I never again will book a cruise during spring break.

The things about kids that upset the average Princess cruiser are:

Taking up seats in the bars.  Playing on the stairs or elevators.  Hogging the dance floor.  Running.  Trying to use the adult pool area.  Talking loudly. Littering.  And the worst sin they can do is that stupid dance called The Floss.  That is the biggest dork alert known to mankind.

Bah Humbug

1 hour ago, keristin24 said:

Is there a cruise line - or at least a mass-market cruise line - that doesn't have mixed reviews?  I imagine one can find both positive and negative reviews for any cruise line.  I think Princess offers a great experience for what we pay.  We have not cruised all the lines and admittedly go on general reputation in deciphering atmosphere and quality of other lines we can afford.  

I know we would not sail Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, MSC, NCL, Cunard - all for different reasons.  I would consider HAL someday I suppose.  I would consider Celebrity again.  I'd like to consider some of the more exclusive lines, but more than we want to spend at this time.

Edited by steelers36

I say take the the kids. I remember going on a Princess Cruise there were 17 family members. 5 of them were kids to this day my  nieces tell me what a great time they had on the cruise. I took them  parasailing and on the BOB ride. We talk about it all the time. They always say uncle Anthony we never had so much fun. Thank you so much.

See Pictures (BOB Ride). 

Tony

DD81AF08-A89C-4B0D-A4D3-C4A5BFF36975.jpeg

DCEF3CD0-2C47-42C0-860E-9BBAA5E13CE4.jpeg

2B3F6AF8-14AC-4011-B9D8-B529DCAFC1A8.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I say take the the kids. I remember going on a Princess Cruise there were 17 family members. 5 of them were kids to this day my  nieces tell me what a great time they had on the cruise. I took them  parasailing and on the BOB ride. We talk about it all the time. They always say uncle Anthony we never had so much fun. Thank you so much.

See Pictures (BOB Ride). 

Tony

Tony, I think it must be time to take them again.  You are not picking up on the hints!!  They are obviously looking for an adventure beyond what the rowboat offers.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Tony, I think it must be time to take them again.  You are not picking up on the hints!!  They are obviously looking for an adventure beyond what the rowboat offers.

Hi Mr. G.

You may be right? But the girls love taking the Rowboat for the week end. I let them because they always bring it back looking like new.   See picture.

Tony

C5EE7AD5-DFB5-4840-A8DC-B99947E59EDA.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, keristin24 said:

If you are expecting Royal Caribbean you will be disappointed. Teens usually meet in the teen club and then hang out around the ship hi jacking the elevators. If they like bingo, trivia or reading a book they will be fine.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Also...don't discount the Teen Club.  On the new ships, they are pretty nice spots.  Your kids would probably prefer to hang out in the hot tub at the Teen Center than hang out in the hot tub with the older crowd.  Also, signing up for the Teen Club is a great way to simply meet up with new friends.  No obligation to actually stay at the Teen Center.  But they have to be signed up to go there to meet others.  In other words, after they meet some new friends on day one, day two might be: "Let's meet at the Teen Center at noon and then we'll figure out what we want to do."  But in order to do that, they have to be registered.  My daughter signed up on every cruise from age 13-18 and made many new friends.  But on average, she probably spent less than a third of the time actually in the Teen Club.  The rest of the time the kids were out and about at pools, movies, dining venues, etc.  But instead of herding cats, it was just easier for all her friends to pick a time to meet at the Teen Center as home base.

I totally agree.

Our two girls would do exactly the same. They had the most fantastic time and some of the other “cruise kids” they met are still friends years later.

Just get them registered on the first day when everyone is looking to make friends. Leave it any later and it becomes very difficult to break into established friendship groups.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Mr. G.

You may be right? But the girls love taking the Rowboat for the week end. I let them because they always bring it back looking like new.   See picture.

Tony

C5EE7AD5-DFB5-4840-A8DC-B99947E59EDA.jpeg

Sweeet!!!  When will the 2021 schedule be released?

Edited by steelers36