Air Discounters or Consoladators?

Mincruiser

We are looking into air fares from USA to New Zealand and then Australia back to USA for our December 06 cruise. We have cruise air listed at the present time. Our TA said she would look at the fares from discounters/consoladators in order to compare prices. We have never used these in the past, so I am a bit unsure about going this direction. Any thoughts or hints? Can a disconter-consoladator leave you hanging? Are these fares do-able for open jaw type trips? For overseas trips?

We are looking into air fares from USA to New Zealand and then Australia back to USA for our December 06 cruise. We have cruise air listed at the present time. Our TA said she would look at the fares from discounters/consoladators in order to compare prices. We have never used these in the past, so I am a bit unsure about going this direction. Any thoughts or hints? Can a disconter-consoladator leave you hanging? Are these fares do-able for open jaw type trips? For overseas trips?

Yes, consolidators could leave you hanging. Just depends on the company you are dealing with. Not likely, but possible.

Post your EXACT dates and I will take a look at the company databases (we are in the global logistics business). Open jaw NZ and Australia is very easy on Qantas, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific (with a stop in Fiji), and others. You may be better off booking Minnesota to LAX and a separate, open jaw ticket to NZ/Australia. Lots of times the fares from inland USA are really high, compared to two tickets for the same journey. The overseas airlines do not have much authority to fly in the USA, so you end up on a "partner" airline at a high price. Only difference is you will have to collect your luggage in California and recheck it. Not a big deal.

Doubtful that a consolidator will leave you hanging this far out. I have used them for open jaws and usually come out better, but not very much better. If you use a consolidator make sure to add theur fees to ticket cost. (used them once to save $35/ticket forget their fee and paid more than booking directly.)

I was interested in flying Business Class, LAX to AKL with a return from Osaka to Detroit, also in Business Class. The best fare offered turned out to be from Holland America, using their air deviation program. An airline consolidator I talked with was able to offer a fare that was more inexpensive than I could have done on my own, but the routing required to "save" some money was ridiculous.

Thanks for all your input. It will be interesting to see what Hal does with their cruise air program. I also have requested an air deviation from them and want to look into business class. Still waiting to hear back from them. Maybe they don't know anything this far out from December. I'll ride it out for now and see if anything comes through in the coming weeks.

Archived