Fly Cruise into Malta: alcohol & internet

Flowerpower22

Hello all

We are booked on Oceana 22 days Gulf repositioning cruise in October and will fly into Malta.  I'm not really keen on packing any alcohol in my suitcase as I need all the space for clothes and shoes!  Is there anywhere to buy spirits at Malta airport before we embark the ship? (I know many Spanish airports have a Duty Paid shop as you exit, so Malta may too).  As we are arriving in the evening, I anticipate no time to get back off and shop, so it would need to be a quick swoop.

Also, internet.  We are thinking of getting the Browse package for the whole cruise.  Does this give you adequate access to email (send and receive) and do you know if our 8.5% discount for Mediterranean tier would apply? Do we buy through P&O or via our travel agent?  

Thanks in advance

-

30 minutes ago, Flowerpower22 said:

Well I've just phoned my travel agent and they tell me I can't buy the package in advance - only on board.  This doesn't seem right. If anyone has any experience regarding this I would be grateful.

Thanks

That's correct. Available to purchase when you get onboard and BTW it's useless. We had a full refund last time as it was truly dreadful. There's a reason why the crew all flock to the nearest wi-fi facility in port; it's because internet reception on board is dire. It's not available in the cabins as the cruise line want you out of the cabins, moving around the ship, spending money. This is not just P&O. 

Had no problem using wifi in our cabin on our last cruise on Arcadia. Not brilliantly fast, but good enough for the odd email, Facebook posts etc.

Edited by wowzz

Hi, not too sure about the airport but from experience they move people through pretty quickly. It was manic the last time we went.

Just a thought - it may be more expensive but how about buying your alcohol on the plane?

Alternatively, what we have done is to buy alcohol in the duty free at the airport (in the UK once through security) and put it in 2 bottle carriers to carry on to the ship. As you are arriving late your cabin will be ready so you won't be carrying it long.

Edited by Presto2

Thanks everyone.  Now I know I can buy spirits in Malta, that's the plan.

With regard to the internet, I'm going to go for it regardless of speed.  I'm a politics junkie so will want to know what's going on!  Just needed to know if discount applied and if there was a best time to buy.  I don't have an issue using internet in public rooms if necessary.