Mergavilia Fjords Questions :)

Sch3cter

Hi Guys, 

We're going cruising on the Mergavilia from Kiel to the Fjords on Sept' 7th. The ports of call are Copenhagen, Hellesylt, Flam and Stavanger. I was just wondering, if there are any ports you can just walk off the ship and explorer by yourself? We have a 20 month old son so some if not most of the excursions are a no go. 

Also, does any one know what Port in Kiel, MSC leave from and what shuttle bus we get from Kiel hbf?
Thanks 

Sch3cter

I think it depends on where you dock in Copenhagen.  Stavanger will be easy.  Flam...easy if you dock, if you tender, just get off the tender and walk around.  Hellesylt will be tender to a very small community, but I'm sure you can wander around there also.  EM

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

Here is a link to webcams in Kiel.  the upper one (streaming) is of the cruise port, the lower one is the ferry dock for Stena line.

https://www.portofkiel.com/webcam-en.html

A google pic of the port,with the two Mein Schiff ships in port, and lower down the Stena Scandinavica

enhance

enhance

This is brill'! Thank you 🙂

This is Stavanger port.  Very walkable...I think there is park area around the lake, and the area to the left is older town, scenic if you are not 20 months old...  Can't remember if it is pedestrian only...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Flaam

enhance

enhance

enhance

2 hours ago, Sch3cter said:

Hi Guys, 

We're going cruising on the Mergavilia from Kiel to the Fjords on Sept' 7th. The ports of call are Copenhagen, Hellesylt, Flam and Stavanger. I was just wondering, if there are any ports you can just walk off the ship and explorer by yourself? We have a 20 month old son so some if not most of the excursions are a no go. 

Also, does any one know what Port in Kiel, MSC leave from and what shuttle bus we get from Kiel hbf?
Thanks 

Sch3cter

The Flam train would be very doable with a 20 month old.  It is a short walk from where you disembark to the train, and the ride is about an hour each way with about a 5 minute turnaround.  Terrific scenary, including some lovely waterfalls.  

In Flam, Meraviglia is booked for the wharf from 8am to 7pm on 11 September.

Flam arrivals

The main Flamsbana website shows limited availablility for independent travellers on that date.

Flamsbana

However, you can also book on the Norwegian railways site (same trains, slightly cheaper prices).

VY.no

More information on that site:

Seat 61

4 hours ago, Bpmsmith said:

However, you can also book on the Norwegian railways site (same trains, slightly cheaper prices).

VY.no

Although VY.no is showing better availability, it does not give the round trip discount (NOK 590 instead of NOK 410 x 2).

However, it will still be cheaper than the cruise line excursion to Voss, and you will have the ability to choose a later train back.

Hello,

just a small add from me:

In Kiel the Meraviglia docks at the "Ostuferhafen". That's on the east side of the port.

But as far as i know there are shuttle busses and even a shuttle ferry going from Kiel HBF.

In Kopenhagen you will dock at the northern end of the port (Oceankaj). You couldn't stop more far away from the City centre there ;) There are busses (Hop On, Hop Off) going into the centre though. With about 30 € per person quite expensive, but it would be way to far going there by foot (afaik your son can ride for free btw.).

Hellesylt should be just for tendering. Flam and Stavanger are absolutley no problem as it has been already stated here. Flam overs a lot of excursions you can do on your own (Fjord boat tour, going with the train and bus tours).

Have a nice trip!

There a several options to get from Oceankaj to Copenhagen Centre.  There are the Hop on Hop off buses already mentioned, plus MSC run shuttle buses which from memory were about €16 per adult.  Alternatively you can do what we did earlier this week and walk the 100m or so to the bus stop opposite terminal 1.  There’s a ticket machine there which takes cards  - a day pass for all buses and metro is €8 for an adult.  If you take the 25 bus to Nørreport you can get to lots of places from there. 

• Thanks 1