Westin Bayshore Inn to Horseshoe Bay Ferry

Hi everyone.

I am staying at the Westin Bayshore Inn in September prior to a cruise.

A friend of mine from my high school years (don’t ask how long ago that was!!) has suggested that we meet for lunch.  She lives in Nanaimo and would take the ferry as a walk-on passenger.  She suggested meeting at Horseshoe Bay where the ferry docks as there is/are restaurants.  I have a couple of questions:

(1)    What would the approximate cost be for a taxi from the Bayshore Inn to Horseshoe Bay?

(2)    Public transit – my friend indicated that the 250 bus goes direct – as this is a Sunday – how often does it run?  Would the bus stop be close to the hotel or the ferry dock?

(3)    If I decide on a taxi from Horseshoe Bay – would there be taxis waiting for possible passengers?

(4)    If there are several taxi companies in Vancouver  -- would someone be willing to recommend a reliable taxi company.  (I know that in Winnipeg, I prefer one of the three companies – for service, etc.)

I am not familiar with Vancouver so I am unsure about the public transportation.  Also, in mid-September, it tends to get darker earlier in the day and I would be hesitant to have to walk to the bus stops.  I am assuming that the transit system is usually safe to ride on.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

2 hours ago, Safety Squirrel said:

Hi everyone.

I am staying at the Westin Bayshore Inn in September prior to a cruise.

A friend of mine from my high school years (don’t ask how long ago that was!!) has suggested that we meet for lunch.  She lives in Nanaimo and would take the ferry as a walk-on passenger.  She suggested meeting at Horseshoe Bay where the ferry docks as there is/are restaurants.  I have a couple of questions:

(1)    What would the approximate cost be for a taxi from the Bayshore Inn to Horseshoe Bay?

(2)    Public transit – my friend indicated that the 250 bus goes direct – as this is a Sunday – how often does it run?  Would the bus stop be close to the hotel or the ferry dock?

(3)    If I decide on a taxi from Horseshoe Bay – would there be taxis waiting for possible passengers?

(4)    If there are several taxi companies in Vancouver  -- would someone be willing to recommend a reliable taxi company.  (I know that in Winnipeg, I prefer one of the three companies – for service, etc.)

I am not familiar with Vancouver so I am unsure about the public transportation.  Also, in mid-September, it tends to get darker earlier in the day and I would be hesitant to have to walk to the bus stops.  I am assuming that the transit system is usually safe to ride on.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

1) Sorry can't help with taxi costs

2) The West Van Blue Buses run from Vancouver to H/S Bay. At H/S Bay it is about 200 yds from arrivals. In Vancouver it starts downtown on W Georgia, probably just over 1 mile from the hotel. First stop is the mall in West Van

3) Normally lots of taxis at H/S Bay, especially when ferries arrive

4) Sorry, can't comment, as never use them.

Sunset mid-September is about 19:30, so reasonable light until after 20:00. Rarely use public transit, but when we do, we feel perfectly safe.

Thank you Heidi13 and cruiseryyc for your suggestions.  Also for the links to taxi fares and transit.  When I went on the transit site -- I had no idea which area I was in.  So this has been a big help.

Will find out when my friend anticipates arriving and decide on which way I will travel.  Also - whether it is raining or not.

Looking forward to a short but nice visit in Vancouver.  Will probably do one of the Ho-ho tours on Saturday as my flight arrives early from Winnipeg and rooms will probably not be ready.

CC members are always a great help.  thanks once again.

You would want the 257 express bus. Runs every 30 minutes. Takes 30 minutes to Horseshoe Bay

Stops on the corner next to the hotel and 2 minutes from the ferry.  Cost 3$.  Your hotel will have complete information.

Edited by Earl Rosebery
  • Thanks 1