carrying wine / champagne bottle - safest way?

firsttimer2006

We will be taking 2 wine bottles and 1 Champagne bottle. We were thinking of placing the bottles in the carry ons? Can we take is separately in a bag or airline will not allow it? Any issues that would arise?

Thanks!

one more week for our first cruise-- so excited!!

We usually take 4 bottles wine/champagne and put two bottles each in our two wheeled carry-ons. I wrap them in bubble wrap, then put them in 2-gallon baggies, then put in carry-ons with other items. We've never had a problem either at airport or pier.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Carnival: Fantasy 1/2000

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

Imagination 2/2006

We sailed the Fascination 2 weekends ago, in our carry on were 3 bottles of red wine and 1 bottle of champagne for our anniversary. We merely wrapped those in the clothes that we intended to pack in there anyway and had no problem at all. Since it was a carry on we had 0 worry that it was going to be tossed around or mishandled. My advice, pack what you'll need in carry on luggage, that way, you have complete control over how gently your bags are handled.

I am awed at the folks who can pack well enough to put alcohol in checked bags. Watching the guys throw (toss would be too gentle a term from what I saw) the bags onto the loading belt when we flew to Miami--and God knows what happened to them once on the plane--I cannot imagine being a good enough packer that no bottles get broken through all of that. I was glad that we packed in carry ons. No stress at all that our clothes were going to arrive full of red wine. Of course, if you have hard sided luggage, this may all be moot.

Lucy:

I travel a lot internationally for business (in fact I am leaving tomorrow for Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong), and I am always bringing back bottles of booze from Duty Free shops. Of course, they are sealed and the only alcohol you can consume on a plane is what the flight attendants serve. In fact, they make that announcement.

But I ALWAYS carry them on with me and I never put them in checked luggage. Some people do put them in checked luggage -- I just don't feel comfortable taking that risk.

CTMak

You will not have any problem taking wine on the plane -- California banks on the fact that people will buy lots of wine and take it back home. One thing I learned from the folks in Napa is that you should take wine and especially champagne in your carry-on. The luggage area is not pressurized. Therefore, the cork may separate from the bottle, thus allowing air into the bottle. This will cause the wine to taste terrible. With champagne, it can cause the bottle to pop since there is so much pressure.

Carrying wine onto the plane is very simple, just put in your carry on. We retruned from Italy last year and brought back two bottles of Red. Alot of times when cruising the Carib, they will package them in a carry on hard cardboard for you. This will be no problem when going thru airports and security.

Enjoy your first cruise, you will be hooked for life.

Carnival for 4 cruises and just booked the 5th for this coming December.

Archived