Two "Odd" Excursion Gratuity Questions

jgrahamiii

I've read some posts on suggested tipping on excursions in Alaska (a far cry from the few Euro's per person suggested on Viking included tours, but  understandable).  I can't figure out what's expected on a couple of tours. First, we booked the Yukon Bus/Train combo with Chilkoot based on many recommendations here.  What I'm wondering is whether the same guide that you have on the bus portion also is the narrator on the train portion?  If not, what's a good division of gratuity?  And are there others to give small tips to also (bus driver, train personnel)? Or do they just all split it up?  Second issue is the Tundra Wildlife Tour that was included (with upgrade) in our Princess package. What's an appropriate amount there for an 8 hour tour?

Thanks for any thoughts.  I know everyone has different opinions, but any guidance is better than none!  Thanks. -John

For the Tundra Wilderness Tour booked through the National Park Service's tour agent, my Nephew and I both tipped $10.

My Nephew is an Alaskan resident who works for an Anchorage Tour Company during the Summer.  He appreciates whatever gratuities that are offered (he makes minimum wage), but believes a $10/person gratuity for an entire day tour is appropriate.  (He is the van's driver, narrator, and guide.)

• Thanks 1

Tipping opinions vary wildly, and truly it is a personal decision.  Out of curiosity, and not because I care, I will frequently watch the line ahead of me to see if tipping is standard.  What I see does not affect my tip, but it helps me understand the tour guide's situation.  I figure if the tour guide is with the group for most of the day, it would be great for the group in total to add $100 to whatever pittance he or she makes from the company.  If we have 20 or so people on the trip, I will probably tip $10 per person.  I know a number will not choose to tip, so my $20 (two of us) combined with a few like-minded people will give the tour guide a decent return for their effort.  If the tour is smaller and they give us more personalized attention for a lengthy time, my tip will be more.  We had a private 6-hour boat tour in Homer where I tipped $100.  On the flip side, if the tour is an hour or less with a full van, I will tip more like $5 per person, and for the van driver who simply takes you from the ship to the tour, only $1 or $2.

There is nothing magical about what I do.  I'm just listing it as an example.