Silver Cloud Expedition LIVE!!!! 8/14/19 - 8/26/19, Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq

rich48100

10 hours ago, Sodashire said:

JP. Any chance when you have the time to scan some MDR menus for both dinner and lunch please. So excited to be boarding next month. It would be nice to get the feel of what culinary delights maybe on offer. Do they buy in fresh fish when in port? As well as having frozen. 

We are new to Expedition cruising. Mentioned earlier that you are out into Zodiac groups. Do these groups stay the same for the duration of the cruise? When are you told what time the Zodiac/tour is departing? My understanding from reading recent reports is that One is not able to have late nights if very early morning tour.

we have never been in a zodiac before. We are aware staff will help us in and out, but how easy is it to sit and hang onto the ropes? 

If anyone has a copy of the daily new sheet The Chronicles would be interested to see what is available and also the time of meals, bars etc.

we have enjoyed the last couple of voyages with JP, Rachel and Rich etc giving their input. Appreciate the time it takes and the problems with wifi, but it does make us at home feel as if we are travelling along. Well done to all

Many thanks

New on this trip, they were purchasing local fresh fish which we much enjoyed.  That is totally new on Silversea (we have experienced it on Regent.). Previously all fish was frozen.  I think the new policy is part of the SALT concept which is going to be introduced.

the zodiacs on this ship are the easiest to get in and out of that I have ever seen.  And that is with hundreds of zodiac trips under my belt.  There is a very stable landing platform which is wide, and they will help you as much as needed.  I have seen those guys haul a 350 lb woman with limited mobility on and off.  The seating is on the edge of the zodiac, but it is not uncomfortable.

if you want to stay up late at night, be my guest.  The bar is open as long as there are people in the lounge.  I usually crash at about 11 pm.

Well, we made it back last night.  Not to worse for wear, but flights delayed some because of storms.  No big deal really.  Fortunately we did not get caught by the dreaded SSSS, for check in.

when we were leaving Greenland, storms in Reykjavik and Radar problems in Greenland delayed our departure by 3 hours.  Instead of getting to the hotel in Reykjavik at about 8pm, we got there about 11.  Then quick turnaround for our flight out of Reykjavik.  Hectic repacking, but relatively easy compared to what it could have been.

overall, Greenland was better than expected.  The excursions were well done, and a couple of extra stops not listed.  Weather really cooperated.  Lots of nice, well travelled people, and everyone wanted to have a good time.

i still think service on the ship this time around was a little lacking.  Just didn’t seem to be enough folks around or poorly distributed.  

Anyway, glad we did it, but good to be back home and in our own bed.

glad to contribute to this blog to let folks know about our trip.  Hope it was well worth it.  I enjoyed sharing our adventure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home, Rich! Thanks for taking us along with you in spirit. Really enjoyed seeing more of Greenland. Glad your weather on the second leg cooperated more than our Icelandic weather did!

Hope to see you again on another cruise!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Amy just said, “Dang!”.  We’re in trouble if RachelG is able to hang until 11p after getting up at the crack of dawn too.  😊

Welcome to the big leagues, Stumbles! There are 24 hours in a day of vacation...

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Amy just said, “Dang!”.  We’re in trouble if RachelG is able to hang until 11p after getting up at the crack of dawn too.  😊

You have to work hard on vacation.  JP, Chris, and I have been toughened up by years of being on call.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Welcome to the big leagues, Stumbles! There are 24 hours in a day of vacation...

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

You have to work hard on vacation.  JP, Chris, and I have been toughened up by years of being on call.

Okay, I’ve got 4-months to get in shape.  I’ll be ready.

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

😃 So I need to start adjusting my 9:30 bedtime...

I think I can hang late, it’s waking up in time for breakfast that I struggle with. 😁

• Haha 1