Curious about Dawn

dw64

Not a newbie. However we haven't cruised NCL since 2006. Just booked the Dawn for fall; New England cruise.

Have a few questions & would appreciate any pearls of wisdom that might be shared.

Does Dawn have coffee pots in outside cabins?

How about a coffee card / package.? 

We don't really go to the speciality restaurants . Any tidbits to get the most out of the " free" restaurants that aren't really published? ( shrimp cocktail, french onion soup, escargot,  things like that)

Is there a free sauna/ steam room to enjoy?

How about an adults only pool?

Thanks,

NCL uses 1 out of 14 MDR menus each day, with some items being offered as everyday choices, and other daily menus rotated based on provisioning - a few items are repeated and available more than once on a typical 7 nights cruise.  The MDR lunch menu does not changed - it is the same every day, except on extended 10+ days cruises, where 1 or 2 chef's specials/choices are usually offered on sea days (as MDR typically closed on port days).  

French onion soup is on the MDR menu, escargot is sometimes offered (when available) and you will also find shrimps, just not shrimp (baby) cocktail as a starter item ... but, you'll find Cajun shrimp salad w. Caesar dressing.  

The (1-cup brew) coffee maker can be requested (subject to availablilty) via your Room Steward if staying with an Inside or Oceanview stateroom - along with coffee/creamer/sugar setup, complimentary.  Ice/bucket no longer provided, except for balconies & higher, unless requested onboard via RS.  

Sauna/ steam room are not complimentary unless you are in a spa balcony but passes can be purchased (in limited #'s) ... I stand corrected on this as we don't pay attention to it.  There are no adults only pool.  

For a quiet oasis, look for the "secret" public lounge (iCafe before) on Deck 9, midship behind the Mid elevators - to read, relax, listen to music or perhaps live "events" taking place below - looking down toward the atrium lobby (can also access via spiral staircases on Deck 8, where O'Sheehan's (24/7 comfort food) is located (formerly, the Blue Lagoon, which you might recall ...) 

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping to order shrimp cocktail,  or ceasar salad every pm in the dining room. Princess, RCCL & Celebrity all have sheimp cocktail every evening FREE in the dining room. 

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

The (1-cup brew) coffee maker can be requested (subject to availablilty) via your Room Steward if staying with an Inside or Oceanview stateroom - along with coffee/creamer/sugar setup, complimentary.  Ice/bucket no longer provided, except for balconies & higher, unless requested onboard via RS.  

Is this likely to be true on other ships, such as the Star?  That would make me very happy!  😄

• Like 1

@Joanne G. - we had been able to request it on the Gem, Escape & Breakaway in earlier cruises ... should not be a problem.  One of the consideration when it's time to fill out those "Vacation Hero" cards for crews that earned them, treasured just as much as  giving them a cash tip directly, as one of the RS said " it is nice to get an extra 4 to 6 hours as time-off, just to sleep in and/or to be able to go ashore at some of the ports".  

This is what that 1-cup looked like (photo from the Escape) ... same ones used for the fleet, I believe, good for a small cup.  

P.S.  speaking of the Dawn again, you probably want to bring a 110 volt power tap (not those with surge protector) as it has only one 110v wall outlet, one 220v Euro outlet and one 220v UK outlet (adapter plugs for those for dual-voltage devices/chargers)  There are no USB outlets bedside or elsewhere ... 

IMG20190107_16383a.jpg

IMGOS0616_1012.jpg

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@Joanne G. - we had been able to request it on the Gem, Escape & Breakaway in earlier cruises ... should not be a problem.  One of the consideration when it's time to fill out those "Vacation Hero" cards for crews that earned them, treasured just as much as  giving them a cash tip directly, as one of the RS said " it is nice to get an extra 4 to 6 hours as time-off, just to sleep in and/or to be able to go ashore at some of the ports".  

This is what that 1-cup looked like (photo from the Escape) ... same ones used for the fleet, I believe, good for a small cup.  

P.S.  speaking of the Dawn again, you probably want to bring a 110 volt power tap (not those with surge protector) as it has only one 110v wall outlet, one 220v Euro outlet and one 220v UK outlet (adapter plugs for those for dual-voltage devices/chargers)  There are no USB outlets bedside or elsewhere ... 

IMG20190107_16383a.jpg

IMGOS0616_1012.jpg

About those USB There are no USB outlets bedside or elsewhere ... 

Bring a converter plug or use one of the USB outlets on a your laptop tablet or other device.

AND caution your Cabin Attendant may disconnect these as he is required.

Also on the newer ships when leaving your cabin the electric service may be disconnected

the key card in the slot by the entry door.

Have multiple USA devices get the converter with multiple outlets.

Big power user suggest getting a small portable battery pack to supplement.

• 1 month later...

Hi I know this post is real old but would love input on anyone who did the Canada & new england 13 day cruise.Quebec to NYC.  I have many questions.  What shore excursions did you do and where ship docks do they have little golf carts to take you to the end of the pier if you decide to take taxi to a private tour place?  I'm cruising oct 6 so I know this is last minute but trying to book excursion.  See ones on the Norweign Dawn but alot cheaper off the ship.  If you did NYC how do you get to a tour place? Is it safer to book of ship however just one available.

anyone who did the Canada & new england 13 day cruise.Quebec to NYC.  I have many questions.  What shore excursions did you do and where ship docks do they have little golf carts to take you to the end of the pier if you decide to take taxi to a private tour place?  I'm cruising oct 6 so I know this is last minute but trying to book excursion.  See ones on the Norweign Dawn but alot cheaper off the ship.  If you did NYC how do you get to a tour place? Is it safer to book of ship however just one available.

You should probably start a new thread asking this question.

Been on the Dawn several years ago. Ditto for bringing your own 110 volt extension cord with several outlets. You can request your own coffee maker. I would suggest you bring a bag of your favorite ground coffee as the coffee that is served free is a bit weak although you can buy stronger coffee and espresso drinks at their coffee bar.

I would suggest bringing a couple of thermal insulated containers for bringing your own coffee around the ship or ship filtered water on excursion trips.

Dawn is a nice ship, small enough for me with 1,800 plus passengers as opposed to the new mega ships with 3,000 passengers. A little more intimate.

For meals, I prefer the sit down meals with waiter service in the Main Dining room located at the back of the ship. Go there at beginning of meal time to prevent waiting for a table, and make sure you time your meals so that you have enough time time to gain good seats for the main evening entertainment shows located at the front of the ship.

Dawn is a bit older than the new mega ship as it was built in the 1990s.