Roatan with small kids

bpandi1

Hi we're trying to figure out Roatan with 2 small kids (ages 3&4) and no stroller. I was looking at booking one of the private drivers and seeing animals is our priority rather than beaches. My question is which animal areas are best with small kids? I see there is Daniels' sloths, Manawakie, Gumbalimba Park etc. I'm not sure how to organize the day with the driver as they all seem to include several hours of beach time which we don't want. Or what the differences are between the various parks and what's best for small kiddos. Any advice would be great!

You might also want to look at Maya Key.  Short water taxi type ride from Coxen Hole Animals and small beach.  Ship Excursion only as is Gumbalinda Park, which is also a good choice.

Any of the private vendors like Rony or Victor Bodden can set up a private tour for you, and you can spend as little or as long at the beach as you want.

I would second Maya Key for convenience.

We have done it twice from Coxen Hole with toddler. No transport problems- no car seat necessary. 5 minute ride on ferry - beach, pool, animals, room to run around.

Edited by c-leg5

We’re taking our 2 and 5 year olds to Roatan for the third time week after next. We use a private driver. Research the activities in Roatan because you know you’re children best and what they’d have fun doing. Ours are water babies and we must include swimming and beach time. Animals too. My wife and I will each get a 1 tank scuba dive while the other stays on the beach with the kids. We mix in a little sight seeing also. A private driver wouldn’t be absolutely necessary with our plans but we are using the same driver for the third time because she is great with our kids. She stays with us at all times and is very aware of how much time we have remaining. It’s very comforting having someone watching out for us that knows the area and gets around well. Once we had a delicious meal on the cheap at a gas station of all places. 

If you do decide on getting a driver, it wouldn’t hurt to ask the operator if they have a driver that works well with kids. And definitely leave the stroller on the ship. I don’t know of anywhere on the island that it would be useful.