Be careful what & where you drink (repost from Reddit)

Bahbert

Saw this post on Reddit about a couple that had a bad experience in Costa Maya and thought it would be good to point it out here. Note that the poster mentions in the comments that they were drinking at the swim-up bar in port. Other comments point out that they were likely served cheap/bogus liquor, rather than being drugged. Alarming information. Be sure you know where your booze comes from!

Edited by Bahbert

Interesting that appears to have happened back in 2016.   Only swim up bar I know of at that time was the one at Mamacitas at the port. .

And while there can be drunks and stumblebums a plenty in any port, this is the first time I've heard of drugged cruisers in CM, although that was around the time there were drugged cruisers and vacationers in Cozumel and Cancun.

39 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Interesting that appears to have happened back in 2016.   Only swim up bar I know of at that time was the one at Mamacitas at the port. .

And while there can be drunks and stumblebums a plenty in any port, this is the first time I've heard of drugged cruisers in CM, although that was around the time there were drugged cruisers and vacationers in Cozumel and Cancun.

the poster said the pics were not his, just of the bar.

it supposedly happened last week

15 hours ago, proggieus said:

the poster said the pics were not his, just of the bar.

it supposedly happened last week

Thanks.   Based on the story, and not having heard of any other tainted drinks in CM, I would suspect that a morning scuba diving in the hot sun, a meal of maybe unfamiliar items (not sure where the had lunch, but not all places have great food), followed by a couple of probably large strong margaritas, would certainly contribute to the malaise.

Not unusual for loss of memory due to being drunk and hangovers affect people differently.

Not saying the poster is making this up, but certainly other factors could easily contribute to what happened.  Good warning to all though. Don't go gaga overboard in ports.  They're lucky they were at the port; could have easily missed the ship entirely.   

On 8/20/2019 at 7:08 AM, crewsweeper said:

Thanks.   Based on the story, and not having heard of any other tainted drinks in CM, I would suspect that a morning scuba diving in the hot sun, a meal of maybe unfamiliar items (not sure where the had lunch, but not all places have great food), followed by a couple of probably large strong margaritas, would certainly contribute to the malaise.

Not unusual for loss of memory due to being drunk and hangovers affect people differently.

Not saying the poster is making this up, but certainly other factors could easily contribute to what happened.  Good warning to all though. Don't go gaga overboard in ports.  They're lucky they were at the port; could have easily missed the ship entirely.   

Exactly. The bar in the port area serves hundreds of drinks a day. I can't imagine they would drug one couple's drinks. Never mind that nothing happened to them other than running up a big bar tab, breaking a watch and making it back to port late.