Mystery Island Glass Bottom Boat

Hi all

has anyone done a Glass Bottom Boat tour on Mystery Island and booked it with locals once you’re there? 

The cost in RCI’s cruise planner at the moment seems ridiculous for a one hour trip out in a glass bottom boat so unless the cost halves in some future sale, I’d be keen to go direct on the day if that’s a reliable option. 

I know technically this should go into the Pacific Islands section but I figure it’s us Aussies and Kiwis that go there most often and are likely to be in the know 😉

thanks

We have done something similar at Mystery Island a few years ago. It wasn't the glass bottom boat tour, bur a snorkeling tour. We had a father/son and their tinny. They took us out to the reef and the son jumped in the water with us and guided us through the coral garden, whilst the father stayed in the boat and then picked us up at the other end of the reef. It was fabulous and well worth doing. Cost...........AUD$5 each! There were 6 of us in the boat from memory and the tour was about 45 minutes. Well worth doing. 

It was a few years ago, so I would imagine the price would have gone up since then, but in answer to your query, I would have no hesitation in booking with the locals when you get off the tender.....there are plenty of them there just waiting for your business!! 

Thanks for the replies!

My son is only 6 and not a confident swimmer yet so snorkelling is out, although it sounds amazing.

Feel good now about waiting til we get to the island and putting money directly into the hands of the locals for a tour.

Been to Mystery Island many times.

Look for a local who would be near the Pier and ask him for the Boat Tour.

Remember the MONEY goes to the locals which comes in very handy.

They also have a tour that takes you to the local village on the mainland, well worth doing.

• Thanks 1

I just had a look in cruise planner for our visit to Mystery Island in February 2020. I remembered why I had ruled out a couple of shore tours offered by RCI. Glass bottom boat , one hour, $80.82 (AUD) per adult , $65.75 (AUD) per child. Stand up paddle board one hour thirty minutes , $142.47 (AUD) per adult , $127.40 (AUD) per child . Cheers, Buzz.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zac#1 said:

Been to Mystery Island many times.

Look for a local who would be near the Pier and ask him for the Boat Tour.

Remember the MONEY goes to the locals which comes in very handy.

They also have a tour that takes you to the local village on the mainland, well worth doing.

Ah yes. I well remember the race around the island between different operators. Great fun.