First Time Traveling with COPD

thegoodone

My husband was diagnosed with COPD a few months ago and this is our first time traveling/cruise since his diagnoses.

He uses a portable oxygen concentrater for when he is walking around and doing things - does not need when sleeping or sitting and relaxing.  We are having problems finding a portable one that has a batter life longer than 2 hours without having to carry 4 spare batteries when we are in port - that will get kind of heavy but will gladly do so if that's our only option.  (he is a continuous flow with a setting of 2)  We also decided to rent a scooter for when we are in port and not planning on doing an excursion.

Would appreciate any advice for us and also any places for rentals of the POC and Scooters

Thank You

52 minutes ago, thegoodone said:

My husband was diagnosed with COPD a few months ago and this is our first time traveling/cruise since his diagnoses.

He uses a portable oxygen concentrater for when he is walking around and doing things - does not need when sleeping or sitting and relaxing.  We are having problems finding a portable one that has a batter life longer than 2 hours without having to carry 4 spare batteries when we are in port - that will get kind of heavy but will gladly do so if that's our only option.  (he is a continuous flow with a setting of 2)  We also decided to rent a scooter for when we are in port and not planning on doing an excursion.

Would appreciate any advice for us and also any places for rentals of the POC and Scooters

Thank You

For starters, have you asked his pulmonologist? 
His office should have some information or referrals for others in this situation.

GC

I will also answer this post:

Does your husband medically Require constant, or is it a preference?   The reason I ask, is that there are so many options available for pulse users.  My DH has severe lung disease, and uses pulse, although he is using pulse level 4, it is still pulse.   We own our units, and have all double batteries which can last up to 8 hours on pulse dosage 2. 

You can rent at Special needs at sea ( https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/oxygen-rental/   I believe for constant they have a Repironics unit, and a  Sequal unit, and both also have a very short battery life also.  

You will need a Dr’s prescription to rent a unit.   

They also rent other medical equipment.  We have used them in the past, and have a very good reputation.   They deliver scooters directly to most cruise lines (and are one of the few that the cruise lines allow delivery from for scooters).  I would ask your husbands pulmonologist to recommend appropriate oxygen therapy.   If I can be of any assistance, please ask. 

Have you researched cabin size?  Because if you rent a scooter it must be able to fit in your cabin - it cannot be left outside in the hallway.  Unless you have booked an accessible cabin, there will be a lot of planning to fit a scooter in the cabin.  EM

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

For starters, have you asked his pulmonologist? 
His office should have some information or referrals for others in this situation.

GC

That's who we've been working with trying to find a longer lasting unit - to no luck

Thank you

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you researched cabin size?  Because if you rent a scooter it must be able to fit in your cabin - it cannot be left outside in the hallway.  Unless you have booked an accessible cabin, there will be a lot of planning to fit a scooter in the cabin.  EM

This is all new to us - so thank you for the info on the sccoter sizes - My husband is calling Royal this morning to discuss the scenario with them

Be sure to ask for a basket when you rent your scooter.  You'll need it for the POC and the extra batteries!  If he is able to use a setting of 2 or 3 pulsed, I highly recommend Inogen's G3 with 2 double batteries.  If he needs continuous, either the Respironics Simply Go or the larger and rather unwieldy Sequal would be my choice.  If you are flying to or from your cruise, be sure to contact the airline to get their form so that you can have your dr. sign it, something I think all airlines require.  Also, if you are flying, remember that cabins are only pressurized to 8,000 or 10,000 ft so he will probably need to increase his oxygen while at altitude.  I have found that I need a setting of 3 rather than my usual 2 when aloft.  I always bring my pulse oximeter to make sure that my setting is appropriate.  If you don't have one, you can buy online or from a drug store without RX.  Best of luck!

Your pulmonologist can do a walk test to see if your husband can use a pulse POC. If  he can , the pulse POC are lighter in weight and have longer battery life. you need to know which pulse setting he would need in order to find one that meets his needs. As for the airlines, many no longer require a Dr note to fly, so make sure you check with yours. In addition, if flying, Federal regulations require anyone using a POC to sit in a window seat. as stated above be sure to have a pulse oximeter available.

As for a scooter,  check with the cruise line as to the width of the door as well as the space allotment in the room. Hope this helps

May I suggest you consider buying a regular wheelchair or transporter chair if you are able and willing to push him in it. The corridors on most cruise ships are very long. My late husband had emphysema and we got our own chair once walking those distances became too much for him. We did not need a handicap cabin with a wide door since the chair folded easily.

Of course this won’t work if the two of you want to do separate things and he doesn’t want to be dependent on you. He may tire easily and wish to stay on board (maybe even rest in the cabin) when you want to be out and about. I suggest booking a cabin with the most square footage you can afford so he’ll be more comfortable in the cabin.

Best wishes, and happy cruising.