Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

According to the Meteorologist at my work Bahamas is definitely going to be hit on Friday and Saturday so I hope Norwegian reroutes us. even if it's safe to go to the Bahamas, nobody wants to be in Bahamas on a vacation while it's raining. 

Does anyone know how RCI handles Delays?  We are set to leave PC on 9/2 to go to the Bahamas.  If the storm doesnt die down or stays North, that wont be possible.  

Do they compensate a hotel?  Do they issue OBC for a lost day?  

28 minutes ago, CruiserJess said:

Are cruises to nowhere possible with the Jones Act? We leave Thursday out of Charleston and originally it is supposed to be a 4 day cruise to Princess Cay, putting us in the Bahamas on Saturday. Don't think Princess Cay will happen, but is it possible we can still cruise with no ports? I would love a re-route to Bermuda but not sure if that is feasible in 4 days. Honestly would be fine with a cruise to nowhere, hoping that it isn't just cancelled 😞

Just an FYI:  The Jones Act only applies to cargo:

The Jones Act is a federal law that regulates maritime commerce in the United States. The Jones Act requires goods shipped between U.S. ports to be transported on ships that are built, owned, and operated by United States citizens or permanent residents. It is also known as the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act applies to passenger ships such as cruise ships:

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a protectionist piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $762) for each passenger so transported and landed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserJess said:

Are cruises to nowhere possible with the Jones Act? We leave Thursday out of Charleston and originally it is supposed to be a 4 day cruise to Princess Cay, putting us in the Bahamas on Saturday. Don't think Princess Cay will happen, but is it possible we can still cruise with no ports? I would love a re-route to Bermuda but not sure if that is feasible in 4 days. Honestly would be fine with a cruise to nowhere, hoping that it isn't just cancelled 😞

I'll be on same cruise and would love a cruise to nowhere!  I was hoping for Bermuda too but looks like there's some weather activity heading that way too.  I just don't know where our cruise could go at this point, weather north and a hurricane/TS south, i worry about this one getting cancelled.  

2 minutes ago, karajeboo said:

I'll be on same cruise and would love a cruise to nowhere!  I was hoping for Bermuda too but looks like there's some weather activity heading that way too.  I just don't know where our cruise could go at this point, weather north and a hurricane/TS south, i worry about this one getting cancelled.  

They can always go to Mexico or Belize

Just read up on this too:

"Simply put, because of the Jones Act, cruise ships that were not U.S. built, U.S. owned and with U.S. crews cannot travel between U.S. ports, unless they stop at a foreign port. "

Full info here, but this DOES pertain to cruise ships, not just cargo:  https://www.travelersunited.org/what-is-the-jones-act-and-what-it-means-for-cruise-travelers/

This is why on Alaska sailings you see ships stopping in Vancouver if they sail out of San Fran to get that one foreign port in.

Edited by karajeboo
  • Like 1

Let’s all just hope the Dominican Republic tears her up. I know it doesn’t look likely, but there is still hope. Or at least tears her up enough that she is just a very weak storm when she hits Florida. We are on Harmony 9/1 (7 day) and waiting will all of you to get any news. When we cruised after Harvey RC was already sending us possible cancellation emails and our flights were all cancelled so I am having good thoughts that I haven’t heard anything yet. 

• Like 1

When any of the cruise lines shorten a cruise, they provide compensation for the change.  If shortened and changed significantly, they sometimes let you cancel for refund.  Every situation has been different.  NCL is notoriously stingier than other lines about these things. It is rare to offer help on extra hotel nights.  Trip insurance is supposed to handle that when necessary.  I hope everyone traveling in hurricane season has trip insurance. Actually, I hope everyone does for all cruises.

Strength and path coming into Florida still have a lot of variables.  A blocking high pressure to the north is expected to steer it into Florida. If that is south to mid florida the storm could continue to the Gulf although I doubt with any real strength left. It's a small storm.  The path has been shifting slightly north.  It is presently forecast toward Port. St. Lucie.  But a shift south comes back to West Palm or Fort Lauderdale and a shift north is toward Port Canaveral.  So keep watching, we really need to see what happens in the next two days.

A hurricane hunter this morning had trouble finding defined circulation.  That is good.  Let's see what the 11am update looks like. Maybe it is a little weaker now.  Puerto Rico doesn't need tropical storm force winds where people are still living in tents since the last once.

yes, excellent news.  As I suspected from the hurricane hunter report, Dorian is NOT expected to be Cat 1 as it passes PR and DR now.

Everything else is the same.  Tropical storm, passing 10 miles off the SW tip of PR.  Being a small storm, that should keep winds to 20-40mph on land.  Now we wait for another day to pass.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, GA Buddy said:

Thanks Bill for the info!

Also just got off the phone with NCL and they said as of now we will be sailing out Thursday.

Maybe a reroute depending on how things go over the next two days.

Maybe they will take you north to......Brunswick.  🤣

• Haha 1

My feelings exactly!  I’ve tried over the the past few days to get some type of information out of them and it’s like pulling hen’s teeth. They really need to work on informing their passengers and improving their customer service when it comes to situations like this. From what I’ve seen and read, every other cruise line has either sent out some form of communication regarding their intentions or given some type of an update. 

Edited by Jetdoctorbox
Added info
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.