Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

Here's a better view of the timing for Orlando Airport. Tropical Storm force winds arriving Monday morning, which is why I think the airport could close Sunday night. Airlines will NOT want their planes on the ground there.  I have been in a plane when winds gusted to 50mph. The plane literally lifted a bit on the landing gear hydraulics. 

174338_most_likely_toa_34.png

I found more information in the Coast Guard notices.

Ports are in condition X-Ray, which means ships > 500 gross tons must be ready to sail.

Condition Yankee means they must leave port.

Condition Zulu is port close and is set when gale force winds are expected to arrive.  gale force is 34-37 knots, or 39-43mph.  For comparison, Tropical Storm force is 34-64mph.

At this time, that is Sunday 8pm in Miami and FLL, and Monday morning in Canaveral.  

So condition Yankee would be set before that and keep in mind ships need to sail with time to get clear - they can't just run west! Will be interesting to see if any cruise ships are in port tomorrow.  I am looking for ships heading in right now.

Ships heading in to port, or in Bahamas, showing next port if set in AIS right now.

Ships heading IN to port:  Ecstasy (Jacksonville),  Breeze (Canaveral, can't fix their position, last seen 7 hr ago, so should be close)

In the Bahamas: Fantasy (Canaveral), Magic (Everglades), Elation, Pride and Symphony. 

21 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I wasn't trying to quote anything but quick question for you Bill.  We are getting on the Breakaway regardless of when it becomes available and we'll take the shortened cruise and enjoy ourselves.  We still haven't changed our Sunday morning flight into Miami so would be it smarter to keep that flight (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) so we are here or change flight to Tuesday/Wednesday morning depending when NCL confirms their itinerary by 8pm tonight?

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Getting gas might be a issue in Florida.  People are gassing up now to get out.  The gas trucks will not make it in during the storm..There is a app.  Maybe called Gas Buddy that tells you what stations have gas.

My in-laws live off Hwy 27 just above Sebring, 1.5 hours SW of Orlando. We spoke to them last night and the stores & gas stations by them are already out of gas and water.  

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I found more information in the Coast Guard notices.

Ports are in condition X-Ray, which means ships > 500 gross tons must be ready to sail.

Condition Yankee means they must leave port.

Condition Zulu is port close and is set when gale force winds are expected to arrive.  gale force is 34-37 knots, or 39-43mph.  For comparison, Tropical Storm force is 34-64mph.

At this time, that is Sunday 8pm in Miami and FLL, and Monday morning in Canaveral.  

So condition Yankee would be set before that and keep in mind ships need to sail with time to get clear - they can't just run west! Will be interesting to see if any cruise ships are in port tomorrow.  I am looking for ships heading in right now.

The Equinox is headed in to FLL, which we are supposed to leave out on tmrw at 3:30.  So far Celebrity says it’s a go.  We are boarding our first flight that way now.  Also could someone please clarify when to get to the port?  As long as nothing changes my pass says 12:30.  But somewhere I saw to arrive two hours prior so I’m a little confused.  Also we are Concierge class and I saw something about priority check in.  Thanks for all help. Praying for everyone in the path of this storm. 

Ports Jacksonville, Everglades and Miami are under port condition x-ray.  Everglades and Miami are expected to go to yankee today.  Port conditions are based on wind conditions not the actual arrival of the hurricane.  They need to be closed and ships rerouted long before the hurricane arrives.  Check the port administration web page for local port conditions affecting your cruise.  

PORT CONDITION WHISKEY: Gale force winds (34 knots or 39 mph) are predicted to arrive within 72 hours. Ports Status: Open to all commercial and recreational traffic.
PORT CONDITION X-RAY: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 48 hours. Port Status: Open to all commercial and recreational traffic.
PORT CONDITION YANKEE: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 24 hours. Ports status: Closed to inbound traffic and vessel traffic control measures in effect on vessel movements within the port.
PORT CONDITION ZULU: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 12 hours. Ports Status: Closed to all inbound and outbound traffic.

17 minutes ago, mattc99 said:

I wasn't trying to quote anything but quick question for you Bill.  We are getting on the Breakaway regardless of when it becomes available and we'll take the shortened cruise and enjoy ourselves.  We still haven't changed our Sunday morning flight into Miami so would be it smarter to keep that flight (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) so we are here or change flight to Tuesday/Wednesday morning depending when NCL confirms their itinerary by 8pm tonight?

Hmmm.  Too close to call?  If you are adventurous decent chance you would get in if you can get a safe hotel room for the duration.  Otherwise I would see if I could get a Tuesday flight and cross my fingers that can make it in for Wednesday.  Can't wait to see what Breakaway's sailing will look like for you. Hope you get a great credit and a credit toward a future cruise! Breakaway is my favorite ship and I will be on her in October for my 5th time, and have a 6th booked for Nov. 2020.

17 minutes ago, gapeachcruzr said:

My in-laws live off Hwy 27 just above Sebring, 1.5 hours SW of Orlando. We spoke to them last night and the stores & gas stations by them are already out of gas and water.  

Wow.  They are kind of in the middle of nowhere, Florida, and could be battered for over a day.

7 minutes ago, KimmieQ said:

The Equinox is headed in to FLL, which we are supposed to leave out on tmrw at 3:30.  So far Celebrity says it’s a go.  We are boarding our first flight that way now.  Also could someone please clarify when to get to the port?  As long as nothing changes my pass says 12:30.  But somewhere I saw to arrive two hours prior so I’m a little confused.  Also we are Concierge class and I saw something about priority check in.  Thanks for all help. Praying for everyone in the path of this storm. 

Oh, yes.. I could not find the Equinox, will add to my list.  The two hours prior means you MUST check in 2 hours or more prior to sailing... under ordinary circumstances.  I would be there early. Watch to see if the ship gets in early.  I would be there 10am because they might set condition Yankee and the ship might have to sail early.

1 minute ago, buckeyefrank said:

I would assume that the Sunshine traveling from Key West on Saturday at 5pm would have enough time to get north above the storm for entry into Charleston on Monday?

Looking for the Sunshine now and will add when I figure it out.

1 minute ago, p50lve said:

Ports Jacksonville, Everglades and Miami are under port condition x-ray.  Everglades and Miami are expected to go to yankee today.  Port conditions are based on wind conditions not the actual arrival of the hurricane.  They need to be closed and ships rerouted long before the hurricane arrives.  Check the port administration web page for local port conditions affecting your cruise.  

PORT CONDITION WHISKEY: Gale force winds (34 knots or 39 mph) are predicted to arrive within 72 hours. Ports Status: Open to all commercial and recreational traffic.
PORT CONDITION X-RAY: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 48 hours. Port Status: Open to all commercial and recreational traffic.
PORT CONDITION YANKEE: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 24 hours. Ports status: Closed to inbound traffic and vessel traffic control measures in effect on vessel movements within the port.
PORT CONDITION ZULU: Gale force winds are predicted to arrive within 12 hours. Ports Status: Closed to all inbound and outbound traffic.

Oh, super, thanks.  Note Canaveral also in X-Ray as of yesterday 3pm.  This suggests Yankee by 8am Sunday on the current forecast.  No time to board cruises Sunday, so Saturday is last for Miami and Everglades/FLL.  Sunday may be OK for Canaveral but ships would have to run north and east around the back.

8 minutes ago, SCOYLE058 said:

Any chance the Breakaway changes its plans of staying in Cozumel due to the storms slow down?

Most everyone is assumimg Wednesday is the possible return to port, assume the port is declared safe to navigate.

Edited by PelicanBill

27 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

I would assume that the Sunshine traveling from Key West on Saturday at 5pm would have enough time to get north above the storm for entry into Charleston on Monday?

If the plan was to sail straight from Key West to Charleston, the answer is No.  You will be delayed to return until the passage is lower than tropical storm force wind. You'll sail sailing around Monday (maybe stay in port? that would be lucky.)  And perhaps return Tuesday.

37 minutes ago, KimmieQ said:

I cannot locate the Equinox on AIS, and the last report is 9 hours ago well before rounding the western tip of Cuba.  It should be just south of Key West about now.  Added to my list of incoming.  

Ships heading in to port, or in Bahamas, showing next port if set in AIS right now.

Ships heading in to port:  
Ce Equinox (Everglades)
Ca Ecstasy (Jacksonville)
Ca Breeze (Canaveral, can't fix their position, last seen 7 hr ago, so should be close)
Ca Paradise (Tampa)
Ca Miracle
Ca Sensation
RC Conquest of the Seas (Miami)

In the Bahamas: 
Di Fantasy @Castaway Cay (Canaveral)
Ca Magic @Nassau (Everglades)
Ca Elation @Nassau
RC Symphony of the Sea @Nassau

Ca Pride @Freeport

All Royal Caribbean Itinerary Changes can be found here: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Basically if you leave on 9/1 or 9/2 - you now leave on 9/4 

Those who were set to return on 9/1 or 9/2 - you get an extended cruise until 9/4 

If you choose to cruise on a shortened cruise - they will refund you a prorated amount for missed days, and looks like giving out future cruise credits as well. If you choose not to cruise -100% of your cost is given in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. All prepaid items (drinks, dining, excursions) are refunded. 

PS I had a Future cruise credit for several years from buying it on board, and it didn't expire. I kept forgetting to use it and finally did about 6 years later! 

So sorry for all who have been affected, and praying for safety of those in the path! 

11 am Friday update.

Strength hovering just under cat 3 now.  

Florida landfall just north of Jupiter (same as before) in early morning hours of Tuesday, however, strong storm effects will start late Monday.

Once landfall happens, forecast to turn sharply NNW now, passing between the coast and Orlando, which would "rake" the coastline with damaging wind and surge.  Forecast is to remain a hurricane inland for over 24 hours, dropping from Cat 4 to Cat 1. At 8 am Wednesday it would still keep Port Canaveral closed for the day.

Dangerous wind and surf and flooding can now be seen for the coast of Georgia and possibly South Carolina.

29 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

If the plan was to sail straight from Key West to Charleston, the answer is No.  You will be delayed to return until the passage is lower than tropical storm force wind. You'll sail sailing around Monday (maybe stay in port? that would be lucky.)  And perhaps return Tuesday.

That is not the answer I wanted to hear :(.  We are on the 9/2 sailing and trying to prepare.  Looks like there's a good chance we will have an extra vacation day in Charleston at this point.  I guess I'll see if I can extend my hotel stay an extra day.

• Like 1

So we got notification from X that they do plan on sailing one hour early from FLL at this point so the previous posting on another board was correct; we are just glad to have some word and are currently having air travel issues trying to get to FLL.  This is for Equinox 8/31.

I'm in travel insurance limbo here.  When do you think NHC will issue hurricane warnings for Ft. Lauderdale?  I see they're up for the Bahamas.  If NHC does this before my flight is scheduled to leave tomorrow I can recoup those costs if I walk away.  Otherwise insurance says I have to take my scheduled flight and they will reimburse me for all of the extra costs I incur during the 3 days til the ship sails or until the cruise is officially canceled.  

Obviously I'll just eat the costs of the flight over potentially getting stuck in a mess in Ft. Lauderdale, but want some beacon of hope that the timing falls inline so it is covered!