Bike Rentals

DeeDee309

41 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Personally, I'd be scared to bike on the roads.

A woman last week on my Bermuda sailing broke her hip on an electric pedal bike. Another passenger on the sailing was badly hurt on a scooter. I will stick with taxis, ferries, minibuses and buses in Bermuda. 

DeeDee - last time we bussed back to the Dockyard from Horseshoe, the bus driver was tailgating a man on a pedal bike.  That poor guy was pedaling like he was in the Tour de France for at least 10 minutes until he could find a place to pull off.  The entire front of the bus cheered when he finally pulled into a store parking area.  If that biker had lost control, he'd have been badly injured, at best.  Maybe you'd be okay biking around St. George or on the old railway trail, but not on any of the shoulder-less main roads, please.  

On 8/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, Charles4515 said:

A woman last week on my Bermuda sailing broke her hip on an electric pedal bike. Another passenger on the sailing was badly hurt on a scooter. I will stick with taxis, ferries, minibuses and buses in Bermuda. 

I saw a couple get knocked off a scooter in Cozumel by a taxi, very sad

On 8/28/2019 at 9:50 PM, SuzeCruz1 said:

DeeDee - last time we bussed back to the Dockyard from Horseshoe, the bus driver was tailgating a man on a pedal bike.  That poor guy was pedaling like he was in the Tour de France for at least 10 minutes until he could find a place to pull off.  The entire front of the bus cheered when he finally pulled into a store parking area.  If that biker had lost control, he'd have been badly injured, at best.  Maybe you'd be okay biking around St. George or on the old railway trail, but not on any of the shoulder-less main roads, please.  

Oh boy, I would never be able to pedal that fast.  Yes something like the old railway trail is what I am looking for, do you know if this is a tour or rent a bike and find your own way there?

2 hours ago, DeeDee309 said:

Oh boy, I would never be able to pedal that fast.  Yes something like the old railway trail is what I am looking for, do you know if this is a tour or rent a bike and find your own way there?

There is a large section of the Railway Trail that starts in Somerset not far from the Dockyard. You can rent pedal bikes at Oleanders in the Dockyard. If you want to do a tour the Island Cruise Centre offers a tour. Bermuda Railway by Bike. 

https://www.islandtourcentre.com/reservations/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, Charles4515 said:

There is a large section of the Railway Trail that starts in Somerset not far from the Dockyard. You can rent pedal bikes at Oleanders in the Dockyard. If you want to do a tour the Island Cruise Centre offers a tour. Bermuda Railway by Bike. 

https://www.islandtourcentre.com/reservations/

Thank You! I did look into this and seems like this is what we will do

On 9/15/2019 at 1:16 PM, DeeDee309 said:

Thank You! I did look into this and seems like this is what we will do

DeeDee, think I better give you a heads up here.  I was just in Bermuda and rented a pedal bike at the shop mentioned here.  First let me tell you the rental for a pedal bike is expensive, $40 for 1 day.  Second you will need to ride on the roads for about 2 miles to reach that bike trail which is near the police station.  It was not an easy ride if you aren’t in decent bike riding shape, there are hills and it was very hot.  You will have the stress of cars, trucks, buses and scooters constantly behind you so be aware.  Once on the trail things are better and less stress.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, snowbird1 said:

DeeDee, think I better give you a heads up here.  I was just in Bermuda and rented a pedal bike at the shop mentioned here.  First let me tell you the rental for a pedal bike is expensive, $40 for 1 day.  Second you will need to ride on the roads for about 2 miles to reach that bike trail which is near the police station.  It was not an easy ride if you aren’t in decent bike riding shape, there are hills and it was very hot.  You will have the stress of cars, trucks, buses and scooters constantly behind you so be aware.  Once on the trail things are better and less stress.

Thank You so very much for letting me know this, I think we will skip doing this in Bermuda.  I don't want to be out on the busy streets.  Your info is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeeDee309 said:

Thank You so very much for letting me know this, I think we will skip doing this in Bermuda.  I don't want to be out on the busy streets.  Your info is very much appreciated.

Well that was my experience from the Dockyard.  Now I think I saw a tour somewhere in which they may start on the trail.  There is a little tour shack right off the pier, go in and check.

13 hours ago, snowbird1 said:

Well that was my experience from the Dockyard.  Now I think I saw a tour somewhere in which they may start on the trail.  There is a little tour shack right off the pier, go in and check.

That tour shack is the Island Tour Centre.  https://www.islandtourcentre.com/ They do have a Railway Bicycle excursion. I don’t know if they ride from the Dockyard or pick up the bicycles near the trail. 

Dee Dee could send them an email. Or look for TripAdvisor reviews with descriptions. 

• Thanks 1

Here is a direct link to the company that does the Bicycle ride that the tour center is booking . Fantasea Water Sports. http://fantasea.bm/tours-activitieslinks/#Inventory/2671 

They do shuttle riders to the trail.  You could book direct with them or thru the Island Tour Centre. 

“Maximize your time in Bermuda on this great combination tour! First, enjoy sight-seeing in the rural West End on your shuttle to Ely's Harbour. Here you will be provided a 21 speed, Trek Mountain Bike and a quality bike helmet. After receiving instruction on riding and safety, you will begin your guided cycle tour along the original and famous Bermuda Railway Trail. During the bike ride, your guide will stop at various points of interest along the 5-8 miles of mostly flat trail to provide an informative commentary on the natural environment and historic points of interest. You will enjoy spectacular scenery along the trail, including Heydon Trust Park and the historic Fort Scaur. After your ride, cool off with a refreshing swim at the beach and enjoy a complimentary beverage before returning to Dockyard.“

Edited by Charles4515