Celebrity Cruise Around the Horn (South America). Recommendations?

Jimbo59

11 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

The Falklands was a highlight for us as Brits which is why we sailed Princess (Celebrity didn't stop there when we were looking). That said if you are not interested in the history and/or penguins then you probably won't miss it.

We chose Princess over X for this cruise in 2014 for the Falklands too, and I wouldn't trade the King penguins we visited for anything, but I also wouldn't choose Princess over Celebrity again if all other things were equal.  Even though we didn't love the ship and food, it still remains a favorite cruise for us.  It's one of the few I would repeat, and I would encourage anyone contemplating it to book it. 

We went from Santiago to Buenos Aires, and the glacier viewing day began at dawn with a naturalist speaking over the decks.  Sadly, it was foggy and miserable outside, and the entire ship was up and crowding the decks and buffets, and the whole thing was over by mid-morning.  Our favorite bartender, who had been doing the back and forth all summer, said that the glacier viewing was in the afternoon going the other direction (from BA to Santiago) and it was usually better.  I might investigate that and see if it's the same on Celebrity if scenic cruising is important to you. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, Jimbo59 said:

I’m considering a Celebrity cruise Buenos Aires to Santiago (or reverse) this winter. Anyone who has done it: What did you like? What did you dislike? Recommendations?

We just completed an around the horn cruise from BA to Lima on the Oceania Sirena. Strongly recommend flying to BA a few days early and taking a side trip to the Iguazu Falls. Absolutely amazing. Stay at the Melia hotel inside the park... walking distance to the falls. We visited the Falkland Islands for penguin viewing... amazing!!  Unbelievably our sail around the cape was in calm waters... almost never happens. Ushuaia was beautiful. Enjoyed visiting Tierra del Fuega national park. Viewing the Chilean fjords and glaciers was special. Do it... you will have a great time!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

OK, so now I need advice on airfare from the USA to South America. Prices are high using the three US majors (Delta, American, or United). Has anyone used a consolidator? Anyone used one of the foreign airlines?

We are going on Eclipse in January out of Chile.  We are from the Northeast and will likely fly to Miami and then take the overnight flight to Santiago.  LATAM airlines is an option but not any less expensive.  They have a direct flight from JFK to Santiago.  Major US airlines offer non-stop flights from DFW, MIA, and ATL.  Coming back from Buenos Aires kind of the same choices.  On very long flights we would like to go business class but the prices are ridiculous!

Another question- our cruise leaves from San Antonio.  Not Valparaiso.  Anybody cruise from San Antonio?  It is 90km from Santiago.  Advice on a way to get there?