9/1 Breakaway Cancelled

Ryanv

I am booked on the 9/1 sailing on the Breakaway. I booked via Delta Skymiles Cruises. Was originally scheduled to fly in tomorrow at 11:23am (flights were booked via Norwegian thru free at sea). After seeing the update that they were calling for all passengers to be at the port no later than 11am tomorrow, I just called Skymiles Cruises to see if we could get an earlier flight and the rep contacted Norwegian and came back to tell me that Norwegian has cancelled this sailing. I know this is quite different from their 4:00 update...has anyone else heard this yet?? 

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing
Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the departure schedule for the September 1, 2019 voyage on Norwegian Breakaway has been revised to accommodate an earlier check-in beginning at 9 a.m. All guests must be at the port by 11 a.m. or sooner, as the United States Coast Guard will be taking all necessary precautions to prepare the port for closure later that day, in advance of the storm.  The ship will sail her original Western Caribbean itinerary.

13 minutes ago, detwings said:

Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the departure schedule for the September 1, 2019 voyage on Norwegian Breakaway has been revised to accommodate an earlier check-in beginning at 9 a.m. All guests must be at the port by 11 a.m. or sooner, as the United States Coast Guard will be taking all necessary precautions to prepare the port for closure later that day, in advance of the storm.  The ship will sail her original Western Caribbean itinerary.

This was actually the update that I called my travel agent about, to see if we could get a flight in prior to 11am and that was when Norwegian told her the cruise is cancelled and will be offering refunds. It also looks like they pulled down the previous 4:00 update from their site. This doesn't look good 😞

Edited by Ryanv

From Carnival Cruise's website:

Carnival Horizon 09/01/19 – PortMiami is closed to inbound traffic.  Port officials approved Carnival Horizon to dock this evening to give guests aboard the opportunity to disembark, with the requirement that it depart later tonight.  Our request to remain docked in port through Sunday afternoon was denied.  Regrettably, guests who are already in town for the September 1 cruise will not be able to board the ship this evening.

The port is expected to re-open as early as Monday or as late as Wednesday. Embarkation for your cruise will be delayed and we now plan to operate a shortened cruise, on the day the ship returns to Miami. 

8 minutes ago, Ryanv said:

From Carnival Cruise's website:

Carnival Horizon 09/01/19 – PortMiami is closed to inbound traffic.  Port officials approved Carnival Horizon to dock this evening to give guests aboard the opportunity to disembark, with the requirement that it depart later tonight.  Our request to remain docked in port through Sunday afternoon was denied.  Regrettably, guests who are already in town for the September 1 cruise will not be able to board the ship this evening.

The port is expected to re-open as early as Monday or as late as Wednesday. Embarkation for your cruise will be delayed and we now plan to operate a shortened cruise, on the day the ship returns to Miami. 

That is so strange.  The Port of Miami website says OPEN   no issues reported about it being closed to inbound traffic

Tweets

• PORT USERS | #PortMiami is open.  The Port will continue to monitor this weather event and will advise as information is made available. Passengers please contact the cruise lines https://bddy.me/2UiyXSr  for up to date itinerary information. #OurCounty

Edited by david_sobe

Just now, Ryanv said:

It looks like they are allowing incoming ships but not embarkation. 

That sucks.  Beyond NCL's control.  Life is not fair but its not fair ships not affiliated with Miami get priority. I feel so bad for graphicguy who just flew to Atlanta then to Miami for his cruise.  Many people have a right to be angry but take it up with the coast guard or the ports who made this decision.

Just a really bad situation.  So where will the Breakaway go.  Its so dumb to allow her to disembark but not let her embark to leave the port and make room for the other ships.  Someone is not thinking this through.

Just got off the phone with my sister.  She flew down to Miami this morning and was ready to go to the port early as per the website.  Her friend who was flying in later got a call from the consultant warning them that there was talk of the cruise being cancelled.  Supposedly they took the update off the homepage so they can come up with the correct wording. 

2 minutes ago, tiggrbaby said:

Just got off the phone with my sister.  She flew down to Miami this morning and was ready to go to the port early as per the website.  Her friend who was flying in later got a call from the consultant warning them that there was talk of the cruise being cancelled.  Supposedly they took the update off the homepage so they can come up with the correct wording. 

Wow, this really SUCKS.  But nothing to do with NCL if the Port wont allow the ship to dock.  I am wondering why the port is closing.  Beautiful day here in Miami today.  We are out of the cone of concern too.  This is really an unbelievable situation.

I can't see that they would just cancel the whole thing. They must be going to offer some sort of shortened itinerary after dropping of the current passengers. The alternative would be just floating around for a few days, and that just doesn't make any sense.

29 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Wow, this really SUCKS.  But nothing to do with NCL if the Port wont allow the ship to dock.  I am wondering why the port is closing.  Beautiful day here in Miami today.  We are out of the cone of concern too.  This is really an unbelievable situation.

I refer to it as the cone of confusion. 🙂

I am wondering how they will compensate people who used the free airfare/hotel.  I know last night my sister called Delta to try and get on a later flight today, and they told her she would have to go through the booking agent.  The agency NCL used only had regular M - F business hours...

12 minutes ago, designergirl said:

I can't see that they would just cancel the whole thing. They must be going to offer some sort of shortened itinerary after dropping of the current passengers. The alternative would be just floating around for a few days, and that just doesn't make any sense.

I agree.  But the port of Miami will not say when they will reopen and give as late as Wednesday. With that amount of time and uncertainty, NCL had no option.  

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

That is so strange.  The Port of Miami website says OPEN   no issues reported about it being closed to inbound traffic

Tweets

• PORT USERS | #PortMiami is open.  The Port will continue to monitor this weather event and will advise as information is made available. Passengers please contact the cruise lines https://bddy.me/2UiyXSr  for up to date itinerary information. #OurCounty

You need to go further and read the documentation that the announcement talks about.

https://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/2019-08-31-portmiami-condition-yankee.pdf

Note that ships are not allowed to embark or debark passengers or cargo.

3 hours ago, Ryanv said:

I am booked on the 9/1 sailing on the Breakaway. I booked via Delta Skymiles Cruises. Was originally scheduled to fly in tomorrow at 11:23am (flights were booked via Norwegian thru free at sea). After seeing the update that they were calling for all passengers to be at the port no later than 11am tomorrow, I just called Skymiles Cruises to see if we could get an earlier flight and the rep contacted Norwegian and came back to tell me that Norwegian has cancelled this sailing. I know this is quite different from their 4:00 update...has anyone else heard this yet?? 

I can confirm that it is cancelled. We were literally 3 steps from boarding our plane from baltimore before I was able to get ahold of ncl and confirm... now our bags are having a vacation in Ft. Lauderdale...

***** is the truth??

From NCL Site:

HURRICANE DORIAN UPDATE

Hurricane Dorian – UPDATE: August 31, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST (1:00 AM UTC)

The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority. We continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean and are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard, as to any necessary itinerary changes.  As such, we have modified the following itineraries for Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Sun.

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing
Norwegian Breakaway departed Cozumel, Mexico early this morning, August 31, 2019 for her return to Miami, Florida on September 1, as originally scheduled.

You've got to be kidding me. This is getting kind of ridiculous.  

-- 4pm website update directing 9/1 guests to arrive early. 

--  By 5pm said website update is gone. Inbound calls to NCL indicate 9/1 sailing is cancelled. 

-- 9pm website update directing 9/1 guests to arrive early. 

What's going on, NCL?

From NCL’s FB

Hurricane Dorian Update, 8/31:

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing
Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the United States Coast Guard are taking all necessary precautions to prepare for the storm and have made the final decision to close PortMiami this evening, August 31, 2019.  As such, Norwegian Breakaway’s scheduled return on September 1 has been postponed.  We are working closely with government and local port authorities to confirm the ship’s anticipated return of September 4. 

Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the United States Coast Guard are taking all necessary precautions to prepare for the storm and have made the final decision to close PortMiami this evening, August 31, 2019.  As such, Norwegian Breakaway’s seven-day Western Caribbean cruise will be modified.  She will no longer call to Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize; nor Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico.  Instead, she will sail a modified four-day itinerary, which will include a sail date of Wednesday, September 4, pending approval by government and local port authorities.  If confirmed, she will spend a day at sea on September 5, call to Cozumel, Mexico on September 6 and remain at sea on September 7 before returning to Miami, Florida on September 8, as planned.

We are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard, as we continue to monitor the storm and will provide an update by Sunday, September 1 at 8 p.m. or earlier.