Norwegian Gem Grand Pacific Restaurant

waltero61

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.

Part 1.

I was on the Gem in May of this year. You are able to make reservations online for the Grand Pacific. However, when you arrive there, they tell you there are no reservations and that it is first come, first served. Until this last trip, there was never a line longer than 2 or 3 couples for this venue. However, on this last trip, some nights the line was up the steps and past the elevators.

People with "reservations" were trying to get down the stairs to the hostess desk, and there were people arguing with each other because they thought they had reservations, when they really didn't. It's the only time I've been on the Gem (this was my 9th sailing on the Gem) where I saw this happen. I'm going on the Gem again in October and I've already made my "reservations" for the Grand Pacific for multiple nights already knowing that they probably mean nothing.

I e-mailed the President of NCL and got no response. I then printed that e-mail and dropped it in the mail. I'm not expecting a response...but who knows.

Can anyone here with a similar experience shed any light on this?

Part 2.

One of the times I was online for the Grand Pacific last May, a couple walked down the left side of the stairs right past the line of angry people. I walked down after them myself and inquired politely as to why they were walking past everyone. They said that they were Platinum Latitudes members and that entitled them to front-of-the-line privileges. I too am a Platinum member, and politely followed in their footsteps and was given  front-of-the-line access, as well. We actually needed to do it on a number of occasions, and each time succeeded. To be quite honest, I felt a little guilty. But not guilty enough to avail myself of this privilege.

When I returned home, I investigated this and could not find where in the Platinum benefits list front-of-the-line restaurant access was available. I did notice that there was a reference in the Platinum Plus category that states... "Priority Restaurant & Entertainment Seating(subject to availability)...*Present your keycard to receive these benefits and discounts."

Unfortunately, that is a very vague description. And to be 100% honest, when I presented my card to the hostess, she looked at it like she wasn't quite sure what to do before granting us the privilege.

Once again, can anyone with a similar experience shed any light on this?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Check out "elliott.org" and get "Vivian Ewart"'s email address & direct your query to her.  She's NCL's Senior VP for Guest Relations or somesuch so start with her.  Elliott.org is a consumer advocacy organization & recommends that you use the company's chain-of-command and NOT start out by writing directly to the company's president or corporate CEO.  If Ms. Ewart doesn't answer your query or you're not happy with her response then escalate your request up the chain of command.

Now as to your original question; we have also sailed on the Gem a number of times and dined in the Grand Pacific.  I don't know how many were in your dining party but we've found that unless you have a BIG group (6 or more) reservations are pretty much useless; especially if you insist on dining at peak hours (usually between 630PM-8PM in our experience).   They DO seem to seat the bigger parties more quickly than the smaller ones but once it reaches peak time everyone seems to wait about the same length of time whether they have a reservation or not.  We usually dine between 5-530 to avoid this!

I agree with you re: "line cutting" with Platinum status; I've NEVER heard of it nor seen it in all my cruising on any NCL ship.  The wait staff DO pay attention to your status (it's right there on your key card, after all...) as we've gotten window seating over similarly situated pax.  I'd be interested if you ever hear from Ms. Ewart or someone in NCL's senior management whether this is an actual Platinum Perquisite.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Thanks for the reply, Tom. 

I will follow your advice and try Vivian Ewart. I’ve found in the past that when you write to the CEO...it usually filters down to the appropriate person. 

I do hope to get an actual answer to what “priority restaurant and entertainment seating” for Platinum Plus members really means one of these days. 

And thanks for the the nice wishes.