Ardastra Gardens and zoo in nassau

prinn4953

4 hours ago, prinn4953 said:

Traveling from port  to Ardastra Gardens and zoo in nassau, taking local bus to the zoo, then walking short distance to zoo after bus stop

My question did you feel safe doing this?

Hi!

I do this every time we stop in Nassau! I think we've been there three times. We have taken the jitney AND we have walked. It's not too far , but if it is hot out....well...  I don't know why the ships don't have an excursion there?

26 minutes ago, HLR said:

Hi!

I do this every time we stop in Nassau! I think we've been there three times. We have taken the jitney AND we have walked. It's not too far , but if it is hot out....well...  I don't know why the ships don't have an excursion there?

Hey there - can you give me more info on how to do this - I was planning on staying on the ship, but this sounds like a nice alternative.

2 hours ago, dthogue said:

Hey there - can you give me more info on how to do this - I was planning on staying on the ship, but this sounds like a nice alternative.

Sure  This is from tripadvisor can get on the #10 jitney for $1 each and it takes about 5 mins. You get off by the Fish Fry and hang a left up the road. Just follow the signs.

2 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi!

Thank you  for you imput

4 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

Yes, we did.

Thank you

2 hours ago, prinn4953 said:

Sure  This is from tripadvisor can get on the #10 jitney for $1 each and it takes about 5 mins. You get off by the Fish Fry and hang a left up the road. Just follow the signs.

If the weather is nice and you want to walk...when exiting the pier you go to the right and follow Bay Street. Left onto Chippingham....then there should be a sign about 2 blocks down. Let's see if the Google Maps Link stays when I publish this. The #10 Jitney would drop you off on Chippingham also. Remember they drive on the other side! Don't miss the Flamingo show!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ardastra+Gardens,+Zoo+and+Conservation+Centre/@25.0741102,-77.3637531,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5b3782576be85549!8m2!3d25.075665!4d-77.3616932

The zoo actually seems very small when you first get there...but once you start exploring it is bigger than it seems. There are a lot of paths to follow and there are birds roaming free all around...Peacocks and pure white Peacocks...Victoria Crowned Pigeons, Parrots. They also have Trumpeter Horn Bills! And a few large cats too....lion type cats I mean! You can feed the Lories in their flight cage and there is the Flamingo parade show in the little amphitheater. You should look up the times of these things before you go so you can time your visit right!

4 hours ago, prinn4953 said:

It's actually $1.25 for the bus.  You'll want to have exact change (or just round up to the next dollar) because the drivers don't give change. 

Walking from port is about a mile and a half - doable but not enjoyable if it's very hot. 

Definitely time your visit to feed the lorry parrots.  That's so much fun.

13 hours ago, HLR said:

If the weather is nice and you want to walk...when exiting the pier you go to the right and follow Bay Street. Left onto Chippingham....then there should be a sign about 2 blocks down. Let's see if the Google Maps Link stays when I publish this. The #10 Jitney would drop you off on Chippingham also. Remember they drive on the other side! Don't miss the Flamingo show!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ardastra+Gardens,+Zoo+and+Conservation+Centre/@25.0741102,-77.3637531,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5b3782576be85549!8m2!3d25.075665!4d-77.3616932

Thank you so much for the information