Sharing advice on getting to Pisa from Livorno

nhsgary

Livorno is a bit of  a dump.  It’s claim to fame is its proximity to Pisa, Lucca and Florence.  Don’t waste your money on the Livorno city tour, not much to see.  Beware, the taxi drivers have quite scam going and seem to have a ‘mafia’ like grip on all the taxis in the city. Our plan was to take a much less expensive train to Lucca and hit Pisa on the way back to the ship.  We are a family of 4, so paying for a tour on a per-person basis can get fairly pricey.  Train travel is more adventurous and much less expensive to see  the same sights.

We got off the ship and tried to hail a taxi from the ship’s terminal directly to the train station but none of the taxis would work with us.  The taxi company refused to call a taxi for us, insisting they were only doing tours of Lucca/Pisa/Florence.  Clearly, they didn’t want us getting to the train station and going it on our own.  It was very frustrating so we hopped on the 5 Euro shuttle bus into town thinking we could get a taxi from the city center to the train station a few miles away.  Once in town, we and several other passengers ran into the same problem.  The taxis would only do the Lucca/Pisa/Florence tours for 25 Euro per person with a group of 8 people, or you could take a bus tour for 15 Euro per person to Pisa only.  Exasperated, frustrated and really ticked off, we opted for what seemed like our only choice…Pisa by bus tour for 15 Euro per person.  I was really disappointed that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get to the Livorno train station on the other side of town so that we could explore on our own. (We later were told that there is a city bus that goes to the train station, but we didn't have time to figure out how that worked.) 

Now I understand why there is no Uber service in Italy as the Taxi Mafia has prevented them from doing business in Italy!  It is not at all in the best interests of the tourist.   I was certain once in the city we could hail a taxi without any problem.  The pickings were ripe for the taxi drivers.  All in all, lots of passengers VERY disappointed with the taxi mafia and lack of choices. 

By the way, the 15 Euro R/T bus trip to Pisa (with 2.5 hours there) was fine.  Air conditioned bus and decent wifi.  Were I to do this over, I would pre-book that trip (I think it's 10 Euros if booked ahead) and skip the hassle of looking for a taxi.

The company which is run by the local authority also do a tour to Lucca and Pisa and another to Florence. You can book in advance or hope there is room on the day. They leave from the shuttle bus drop off. The Lucca/Pisa trip is currently 30 Euros.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, nhsgary said:

Now I understand why there is no Uber service in Italy as the Taxi Mafia has prevented them from doing business in Italy! 

The taxi service in Europe is Licensed and Regulated.  Uber is not!  That is the reason there is no Uber Service.  If Uber agrees to the Licensing arrangements and recognises the Regulatory Body then Uber may co-exist with Taxis, otherwise it will not happen in many European Countries.  

On 9/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, nhsgary said:

It is not at all in the best interests of the tourist.

I have yet to find a taxi driver anywhere who has the best interest of the tourist at heart.  Taxi drivers are interested in themselves.  Taxi driver - yes; Philanthropist - Not!

Edited by VMax1700

I have to say that I have spent a port day in Livorno and enjoyed it.  This was after we have visited Florence, San Gimignano, Lucca and Pisa on previous trips.  

If you are on  the NCL Epic you will not have the same problems- they do a shuttle direct to the station.  I don’t understand why other ships don’t offer it.  You would expect the ship to have the best interest of the passengers at heart.  Once you are at the station the options are wide.  My favourite trip was to Lucca by train and stop off at Pisa on the way back.