Royal Caribbean excursions, Coco Cay

bfsoar2019

This is my first cruise and I need some suggestions for your favorite Royal Caribbean excursion in Coco Cay. My boyfriend and I are both 22 and open to any suggestions. There are just so many its overwhelming. Please tell me about your favorite one on this island and why. We will be on Harmony of the Seas in November.

First off, I'd ask yourself if you really "need" an excursion.  Just because you get off the ship doesn't mean you need to book an excursion every time.  

Coco Cay has the huge pool with the swim-up bar, and there are beaches to hang out on that are all free, including lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade, if desired.  There is a free beach BBQ buffet, and also the Snack Shack with some fried foods and salads that are also free. 

There are things you can do for a fee, if you want -- the big balloon that takes you up in the air for an up-high view of the island, or the waterpark with slides and wave pool is a big attraction and you can add the zipline to the waterpark (note that wait times can be an hour or more for the more popular slides).  

There are also activities that you can spend money on, if you want to -- go parasailing, ride a jetski, paddle a kayak, feed a stingray, feed the pigs that were stranded on an island for the sole purpose of taking money from tourists who ride on a boat to see them, snorkel, etc.  However, none of those activities are unique to Coco Cay -- they are simply activities that you can spend money on if you really feel the need (you can do those same "excursions" at basically any Caribbean island/beach, although the pig exploitation so far seems to be limited to the Bahamas, thankfully).  

Another option, if you really don't want to spend the day at the beach or at the pool, is to stay on the ship -- Harmony is a HUGE ship with a gazillion different things to see and do.  Some people stay on board at one or more ports just to enjoy the ship's features with shorter lines while most people are ashore.  

But there is no such thing as "the best excursion" in any port -- it all comes down to what YOU are interested in and what YOU enjoy doing.  Some people go to the waterpark and have a blast, others go to the waterpark and are disappointed because of the long lines.  Some people hang out on the beach, some people hate sand.  Some people ride jetskis, some people hate the noise and speed.  Some people hang out in the pool and use their drink package at the swim-up bar all day, some people hate chlorine or don't drink or whatever.  

Sit down and talk to your boyfriend and decide what types of things interest you and where you want to spend your money in each port.  I personally like to use the private island stops as a "free beach day" to relax and recharge, and I spend my money on excursions at other ports that have unique offerings I can't find elsewhere.  Other people spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars doing every activity available on the private island stops.  We're all happy with our individual choices -- there is something (or nothing) for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 2

Brillohead is so right.  While all cruise lines are certainly happy to accept your money, unless you specifically want to do something while on Coco Cay, there is a lot you can do for free/included in the original price you paid for the cruise.  Since it is your first cruise you might really want to take the beach day to relax.  Harmony OTS will indeed be a lot and while there are a TON of people on it, it's well designed and generally pretty much everyone is spread out across the ship and you will rarely feel crowded in.  Yes, the shows can be packed, and the parades down the Royal Promenade but not much more so than some of the smaller ships because they have so much more room. Make sure that you catch the aqua-show during the cruise!

Okay back to topic.  There are some activities that don't cost as much as the water park tickets, like jet-skis and snorkeling, that you can do on your own.  Basically, this is elementary school recess for the adults. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, bfsoar2019 said:

This is my first cruise and I need some suggestions for your favorite Royal Caribbean excursion in Coco Cay. My boyfriend and I are both 22 and open to any suggestions. There are just so many its overwhelming. Please tell me about your favorite one on this island and why. We will be on Harmony of the Seas in November.

Don't forget to book other entertainment for the cruise...ice show, Grease, specialty dining, etc. Just make sure you give yourself some time between events so you won't be rushed. Go online and look at what is offered. Planning can make it a pleasurable cruise without the dashing around trying to get things done at the last minute. This is a big ship and you can't do everything. Just be selective. Good luck!