Edge Sky Suites: Bed Position and Magic Carpet Obstruction

flowery

My apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Are all Category S1s guaranteed an unobstructed view from the MC or its tracks? Do some S2s or S3s have view obstructions from either the MC or life boats? I've seen the links to spread sheets on individual rooms but am having some trouble interpreting them and/or seeing only a view entries. I've also scrutinized deck plans and photos of the MC but remain confused especially in regard to some midship sky suites.  I'm wondering if there are any consistent rules re: obstructions.

Also, some posters really like sky suites with beds facing the water but most photos show the beds facing the wall. Do certain categories of sky suites or port vs starboard rooms have beds facing the water?  Thanks for any replies or advice!

We we're in an 
S1 on the Edge.  I believe all S3's have obstructions   I would suggest you go to the opposite side of the ship- not the Magic Carpet side- regardless of the cabin category-  

The sky suites- except the S3's all face the ocean.  Enjoy your cruise-  The suite deck is awesome!  Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Cruise a holic- appreciate the info re: obstructions and bed position! I love the views sailing into ports so I was leaning toward starboard- especially if we tender on E Caribbean stops. But I know when we park and/or change sailing direction that views on the port side might be better.

The aft S1's and the S3's do not have beds facing the ocean. All S2's and the S1's that are along the sides of the ship all face the ocean and have the "magic mirror" that I love (mirror opens to a window looking at the ocean). 🙂 Some of the S3's have decent views and would work for me (not first choice, but less expensive), but look at the info and pictures below to see if they might work for you.

Here are few threads with lots of information. After reviewing these, if you need help with choosing a specific sky suite, I can try to give you some specific info (and I'm sure others will chime in). 🙂

I think it depends upon what you want in your cabin. I pick an ocean view to enjoy the sounds of the ocean and essentially connect with the sea. The cabins along the MC will have more activity... perhaps are more interesting in terms of views and sounds etc. If you think hearing sounds from the MC or have concerns about it passing by your cabin... no humans on board... will annoy you then go to the other side.

The Gateway deck exits on the starboard side, so if you want a cabin facing the dock... I think starboard is what you want... if you prefer facing opposite where you are docking... then port side.  We had an IV on port side... I loved it myself... I think if I did Edge again, I would try the starboard side... near.. but not too near the MC, just to experience some of the movement ...without having it disrupt my view too much. One thing to consider is that the section with the MC... sticks out a good 12 ft or more.. so depending upon where your cabin is... the view left or right could be impacted somewhat.

• Thanks 1

Wow! Thanks so much vtcruising for all the links- so much helpful info and photos. Truly amazing! I don't know why I didn't find these when I did searches on the topics.

Thanks also Kearney for your comments.

Re: the sky suite S1 midship cabins on deck 10 starboard- would there be any awareness at all of the Magic Carpet? The consensus seems to be port side is best.

The unfortunate truth is that we've become spoiled and need Luminae dining so can't downgrade from suite class. I also dislike the specialty dining venues we've tried on other Celebrity ships and while the food and vibe in Blu was a bit better than the MDR,  the pace was too slow.

I use my favorite cruising website that allows custom searches for ports, ship ratings etc. but never actually book with them. The prices that we first saw must've been for S3s. Now thinking we will be monitoring prices after the 90 deposit deadline and closer to the sailing to see if we can find a midship S1 that's more affordable.

Thanks again everyone!!

21 minutes ago, flowery said:

Wow! Thanks so much vtcruising for all the links- so much helpful info and photos. Truly amazing! I don't know why I didn't find these when I did searches on the topics.

Thanks also Kearney for your comments.

Re: the sky suite S1 midship cabins on deck 10 starboard- would there be any awareness at all of the Magic Carpet? The consensus seems to be port side is best.

The unfortunate truth is that we've become spoiled and need Luminae dining so can't downgrade from suite class. I also dislike the specialty dining venues we've tried on other Celebrity ships and while the food and vibe in Blu was a bit better than the MDR,  the pace was too slow.

I use my favorite cruising website that allows custom searches for ports, ship ratings etc. but never actually book with them. The prices that we first saw must've been for S3s. Now thinking we will be monitoring prices after the 90 deposit deadline and closer to the sailing to see if we can find a midship S1 that's more affordable.

Thanks again everyone!!

You may find the specialty dining on the Edge better than the other X ships since they are all different, but food is subjective. We've been to all of the specialties and enjoyed them all, but Murano is still my favorite for X ships for a special occasion. We hated missing Luminae to go to the specialties, but we needed to try them. 🙂

I'm not sure if you are also considering the S2's on 9 and 10 - they are exactly the same as the S1 port suites, just down 1 deck for the ones on 9 and further from midship for those on 10. I wouldn't recommend 10101, 10103, 10105 as the forward view is a bit obstructed and someone reported 10117 as being noisy due to a cabin steward doorway across the hall. They are $100-200 PP cheaper than the S1's. if that matters.

If available, I would recommend choosing a sky suite next to a firewall as they have one solid balcony wall so they are quieter and don't have a pole on the balcony (irritating for some). The portside S1's with a firewall are 10141, 10147 (the one we had on two cruises and loved it), 10151, 10179, 11197, 11211. The S2 portsides with firewalls are 9177, 9183, 9187, 9215, 10115, 10117 (wouldn't recommend because of noise), 10123, 10191, 10205.

I have 10123 booked for a future cruise - was $400 less than an S1 and is close to elevators up to Luminae, Retreat Lounge and Retreat Sundeck, has a firewall, no pole and easy to remember 123 suite number. 😉

VT — Thank you for the info on S1 10147 (firewall). We originally had a S1 on deck 10 with the larger balcony in the back of the ship. We decided to change rooms last week for our Dec. 5 cruise and blindly chose 10147 because of less footsteps to the Retreat, Luminae and the theatre. Plus it was $1,000 cheaper. What would we do without you VT. 

54 minutes ago, alexsarasota said:

VT — Thank you for the info on S1 10147 (firewall). We originally had a S1 on deck 10 with the larger balcony in the back of the ship. We decided to change rooms last week for our Dec. 5 cruise and blindly chose 10147 because of less footsteps to the Retreat, Luminae and the theatre. Plus it was $1,000 cheaper. What would we do without you VT. 

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

The view from your bathroom sink 🙂

image.thumb.png.f0632672f2a6c733388d7491e1c2f1dc.png

The balcony

image.thumb.png.02bb4c5de6659a279b690bf10a24681e.png

Edited by vtcruising