Group Cruises-Help

Diggerof4

Pick the week and itinerary that you are interested in. Tell all your relatives and friends what week, what itinerary and who you booked the cruise with. Do not under any circumstances pay a deposit for anyone except for your immediate family. If you tell fifty people about the voyage be prepared to have only less than ten people come with you. Everyone at the beginning will want to come until the final payment date arrives. You will be surprised to hear some of the reasons why some will back out of the trip. Also, some people will complain about the price, what time of year the sailing is scheduled, and they have a friend of a friend that can definitely get you a better price. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

February 2021 is not too early, we have February 2021 and August 2021 already booked for our group.  Next up thought is August of 2020.  Just got back from a group cruise (72 people) on the Breeze. 

I am the organizer but my TA handles all of the bookings; he and his wife now sail with us as well.  LOL I picked the itinerary, ship and date and send out info via email/Facebook.  Everyone contacts the TA to deposit and for all other payments. 

If you wind up with 8 cabins, you get the amenity points as well as a tour conductor credit.  I select on board credit for the amenity points for each cabin instead of things like champagne or strawberries.  Works better for my group.  Then, I also share my TC credit as on board credit with all of the cabins.  I know everyone, so would not feel right keeping it.  :classic_smile:      

With one time as an exception, group airfare was actually more expensive for us than booking individual airfare, so just check the rates before you decide. 

5 hours ago, Klark73 said:

I just finished organizing a cruise for a group of 18 leaving Mar 2020. It was actually not that difficult. We had a specific date already in mind. We just had to choose a port to leave from. We chose one close to home to eliminate the flight. I gave everyone a chart of different cabin types with the rates, added taxes, gratuities and port taxes. And gave them their total with the deposit amount. And gave a very fluid list of possible extra expenses, cheers packages, optional tips, etc. Everyone sent me their deposit via pay pal. I went in and reserved everyone's cabin under my cruise manager and attached each booking to the respective person. Then they were fully responsible for paying the remaining balances and making any changes they needed to make. I was able to get 7 cabins on one floor close together and 2 cabins on another floor directly under us, all near the elevator. All of our rooms are synced and we will be able to dine together or very close.

And as for any group discounts, we wouldn't have qualified because initially not enough people decided to go. We started with three couples and it just gradually blossomed from there. I don't regret doing it this way at all.

Damn!  I'm impressed!  I could never pull this off with my group of friends.  Because herding cats.  How did you manage all this?  It must have taken boatloads (pun intended) of charisma and leadership on your part.

That said, I've seen cruising-related groups on Meetup, so perhaps that's an option, in case solo cruising loses its appeal for me.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Here is what I have already done and will do:

We have already agreed on Time, Place and Port

I am setting up:

-Cruise: for group discounts only. Each person would be responsible for their own financial responsibilities. We are going to have several get together to explain the W’s. Who, what….etc

Pre-cruise hotel:. I only arranged group discounts only. Payment, booking their room, deposit is up to them. Picked hotel that had airport transfers, breakfast and a nice place to meet up (patio or lobby), place to park (for those who drove) and a business center for those who forgot to get something, like print up passes.

-Transportation: Individuals are responsible for their own transportation from the hotel to the pier, Pier back to hotel or airport, however I am renting a limo bus. As time gets closer it will depend on the size of the vehicle regarding how many people we have will determine cost. I have already told individuals the approx cost and added tip, gave high end amount, so they are prepared and they are aware of changes can occur. I would need payment before we go in either check or case form. Gave due date of payment. *this is the only money transaction that I will be doing for the group.

-Called Delta and AA and they told me they do not offer group discounts, the only perk was you can extend payment process for your ticket. Some only applied to international and not domestic flights only. But, everyone is responsible for their own flights.

-Perks for being TC, I will split the OBC among all the cabins.

-Any on board activities, they are responsible.

Have I missed anything?   Thank you SO MUCH for all the great advice and situations for me to think about.  Trying to avoid some of "situations" that was astound upon you . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, Diggerof4 said:

Here is what I have already done and will do:

We have already agreed on Time, Place and Port

I am setting up:

-Cruise: for group discounts only. Each person would be responsible for their own financial responsibilities. We are going to have several get together to explain the W’s. Who, what….etc

Pre-cruise hotel:. I only arranged group discounts only. Payment, booking their room, deposit is up to them. Picked hotel that had airport transfers, breakfast and a nice place to meet up (patio or lobby), place to park (for those who drove) and a business center for those who forgot to get something, like print up passes.

-Transportation: Individuals are responsible for their own transportation from the hotel to the pier, Pier back to hotel or airport, however I am renting a limo bus. As time gets closer it will depend on the size of the vehicle regarding how many people we have will determine cost. I have already told individuals the approx cost and added tip, gave high end amount, so they are prepared and they are aware of changes can occur. I would need payment before we go in either check or case form. Gave due date of payment. *this is the only money transaction that I will be doing for the group.

-Called Delta and AA and they told me they do not offer group discounts, the only perk was you can extend payment process for your ticket. Some only applied to international and not domestic flights only. But, everyone is responsible for their own flights.

-Perks for being TC, I will split the OBC among all the cabins.

-Any on board activities, they are responsible.

Have I missed anything?   Thank you SO MUCH for all the great advice and situations for me to think about.  Trying to avoid some of "situations" that was astound upon you . 

You go girl!!!  You have covered everything.

If you have not done so already, create a "group contact" - whether through email, text and/or FB. For me, I used email for sending lengthy information & text messages for payment reminders. And do have those get togethers for your Q&As.

Have you thought of Southwest Airline? Our TA got us a group rate out of BWI to Las Vegas. We started with 15, turned into 13 of us.

As stated here, you cannot please everybody and some will drop out - life happens.  Don't take it personally, things just happen.

As always, you can come back here for help.

Happy Sails. 🛳️

4 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

You go girl!!!  You have covered everything.

If you have not done so already, create a "group contact" - whether through email, text and/or FB. For me, I used email for sending lengthy information & text messages for payment reminders. And do have those get togethers for your Q&As.

Have you thought of Southwest Airline? Our TA got us a group rate out of BWI to Las Vegas. We started with 15, turned into 13 of us.

As stated here, you cannot please everybody and some will drop out - life happens.  Don't take it personally, things just happen.

As always, you can come back here for help.

Happy Sails. 🛳️

Yep, we already have a FB and I do polls, stating majority wins.  I haven't tried SW air, will call to see what  can do.  However, people are coming from all over with a possible different times so it may not work.  BUT! it doesn't hurt to call to see what they can offer.  Thank you so much for the tips and the "You Go Girl-which is the first thing I read before my coffee!"  I am still smiling 😍😋😊

• Like 1

No Travel Agent needed. Simple call Carnival, ask for the groups dept. Once transferred explain that you have a group of 20 and would like to block off space. They will ask you how many cabins you want of each  type....Balcony, OV, Interior. They will all be double occupancy, any suites, triples or quads will require full deposit up front. Once you give them all the details they will give you  the group phone number, pin number for the leader(you)and a group pin number. I would recommend that you set it up so that each passenger/family calls in to book their cabin.

You should call as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 8:51 AM, Diggerof4 said:

Yep, we already have a FB and I do polls, stating majority wins.  I haven't tried SW air, will call to see what  can do.  However, people are coming from all over with a possible different times so it may not work.  BUT! it doesn't hurt to call to see what they can offer.  Thank you so much for the tips and the "You Go Girl-which is the first thing I read before my coffee!"  I am still smiling 😍😋😊

LOL, glad I made your day! 

I've re-read your post.  I don't know what  "I would need payment before we go in either check or case form." mean.

I think you need 10 people leaving from same airport for a group rate with SW.  But, still call - you may be able work something out.

5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I hope you're explaining the non-refundable rates with no changes, like Early Saver. I've found that Early Saver can be a real pain for the uninitiated.

Love when everybody thinks they know everything....why use an expert, I know more than they do.😎

On 9/25/2019 at 11:10 PM, CoolOne56 said:

LOL, glad I made your day! 

I've re-read your post.  I don't know what  "I would need payment before we go in either check or case form." mean.

I think you need 10 people leaving from same airport for a group rate with SW.  But, still call - you may be able work something out.

Oh sure, I will explain a lot better: If we happened to obtain a shuttle from Houston Hotel to the Pier, I advised I would need either cash or check ahead of time so that I could make the payment all at once. Payment would also include tip to the driver. With this many people a shuttle should be pretty responsible and we get to be together.  Hope this helps.  This will be the only money transaction I will do.  Besides,  DH & I have to get to the pier.  

4 hours ago, Diggerof4 said:

Oh sure, I will explain a lot better: If we happened to obtain a shuttle from Houston Hotel to the Pier, I advised I would need either cash or check ahead of time so that I could make the payment all at once. Payment would also include tip to the driver. With this many people a shuttle should be pretty responsible and we get to be together.  Hope this helps.  This will be the only money transaction I will do.  Besides,  DH & I have to get to the pier.  

Thanks for the explanation. Please keep us posted with your progress.

• Like 1