What To Do In Perth After Cruise

USAWanderer

Hello all. There are 187 pages of topics under Australia & New Zealand. Too much to check and extremely time consuming. I apologize to Cruise Critic and the public if my topic has been posted but, I need suggestions.

I am going on a 46 night Princess cruise in 2020 and disembark in Perth on a Tuesday morning. My flight home to the US does not leave until 11:00 PM. I truly don't want to spend all day and evening at the Perth airport. Any suggestions on activities/places to visit in Perth that will past the time? Where can I store my luggage to keep from dragging it around all day/evening? Is there a hotel or other place with a view (say a rooftop garden/restaurant) where my luggage & I can hang out, have some lunch, and just relax until time to go to the airport?

I can't help with what to do with your luggage, but if I had just one day in Perth, I would spend it on a trip to Rottnest Island.  You can get tickets for a trip that includes the ferry from Perth to Rottnest Island and a bicycle so that you ride around the island.  If you are not a cyclist, there are guided bus tours of the island once you get there.  If Rottnest Island does not interest you, check out the myriad of things to see and do in Perth here:   https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255103-Activities-Perth_Greater_Perth_Western_Australia.html

Your ship will dock at Fremantle which is a about 30 mins by either car or train to the city of Perth.

You obviously have plenty of time so I'd suggest a look around Fremantle before hopping aboard the ferry to Perth. Fremantle is mostly walkable if you can leave your luggage at the pier somewhere. There's an old convict gaol and trendy cafe society. The cruise up the Swan River takes about an hour and has a guided commentary. It's a wonderful and leisurely way to reach the waterfront area of Perth where there are cafes and restaurants to while away the hours before you have to head to the airport.

if you're happy to handle your own luggage you can catch the CAT buses to the airport. You can pick up a map at the waterfront or just check the signs at the bus stop to see which coloured route you need. Within the city area the CATs are free but there's a small charge for the airport bus which you can pick up along Adelaide Terrace/ St Georges Terrace. 

• Like 1

We have the same situation, but in Sydney.  Our flights home will not leave till late in the evening and since we will have 4 large suitcases, carry ons and backpacks, we have decided to just get a hotel room for the evening.  We will valet the luggage since we know we will not be able to get into a room.  Take off and explore some more and then later in the evening, will come back, get our luggage and go to the room.  We will be able to shower and change into something comfortable to wear for a 11 hour flight and then check out.  We will look for something that is very reasonable to pay since we won't need all the frills!!  Hope this helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions every one. I should have mentioned that I have spent time in Perth after a past cruise. However, I have not visited Rottnest Island and that sounds like a good idea. I think I will start by taking Cool Cruiser's idea and see if I can book a hotel room for the day, valet the luggage, and go from there.

I just checked the links provided by GradUT and possum52. Thanks for the links. Plenty of luggage storage facilities and a nice selection of Fremantle and Perth activities I can choose from to past the day and early evening. THANKS GUYS. I enjoy planning my trips and I will have a ball planning my after cruise day activity.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:46 AM, sailco said:

Your ship will dock at Fremantle which is a about 30 mins by either car or train to the city of Perth.

You obviously have plenty of time so I'd suggest a look around Fremantle before hopping aboard the ferry to Perth. Fremantle is mostly walkable if you can leave your luggage at the pier somewhere. There's an old convict gaol and trendy cafe society. The cruise up the Swan River takes about an hour and has a guided commentary. It's a wonderful and leisurely way to reach the waterfront area of Perth where there are cafes and restaurants to while away the hours before you have to head to the airport.

if you're happy to handle your own luggage you can catch the CAT buses to the airport. You can pick up a map at the waterfront or just check the signs at the bus stop to see which coloured route you need. Within the city area the CATs are free but there's a small charge for the airport bus which you can pick up along Adelaide Terrace/ St Georges Terrace. 

Top suggestions. I would suggest that once you leave the ferry at Barrack Street Jetty, a great place to have lunch and enjoy a view from Rottnest to the Hills is C-Restaurant, a revolving restaurant serving French/Australian fare. It's just a short walk straight up Barrack Street from the Jetty to St George's Terrace and to the left. The food really is excellent, and the views are fantastic. Whatever you do, whether it's C-restaurant, a HOHO bus, or a visit to Rottnest, enjoy.

• Like 1