Ijmuiden to Amsterdam shuttle information

robinsj62

Has anyone had experience of the shuttle run between Ijmuiden and Amsterdam? How often does it run? Are the morning buses reserved for people on ships tours? Where in Amsterdam is the drop off pick up point or points? Is there a cost effective alternative that is quicker? Does it run through the night? Anything else worth knowing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, Lanky Lad said:

On the same basic subject, is there anything to do in Ijmuiden?

Port shuttle buses are not used. Within easy walking (for me) of the cruise terminal building is a beach and marina. There are also a few quite basic shops, bars and restaurants. Probably better in the summer. There is the Bunker  Museum which is about the defences built in the 1940s. As I discovered it closes on Mondays. Oddly there is a red telephone box. 

There may may be more but I did not find it. It was a warm day for my visit so I sat on the beach and read my book and had a coffee in one of the beach bars. It was very quiet which made a nice break from my Marella 1990s music themed cruise. I do not know if they do this for every cruise but there were sniffer dogs at the gangway for passengers returning to the ship. 

I quite enjoyed the port as a quiet place to relax without the hassle of ports in big cities. A nice beach day for me just not St Tropez. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Shuttle buses ran from around 8:00AM into Amsterdam and the last back was around 10:00PM on the first day. It dropped off at the central station and was okay. We only had a short wait each way. 

The second day had an all aboard time of 2:30PM so unless you were on a trip or just wanted two hours max in Amsterdam it really wasn’t worth the bother. In fact we had a leisurely breakfast, spent an hour in the aft hot tub then went for a walk along the sea wall to the beach. The reply above covers what else to do. We may have gone for a walk into the dunes if we knew they were accessible..

So if you have a similar itinerary then I’d go for a full day in Amsterdam and unless on a booked tour stay near IJmuiden and relax. 

• Like 1