Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

32 minutes ago, adamrayan said:

Hello Roger and thanks for your answer. I emailed arash and hope they have availability! If not, I booked a (refundable) car through Europcar, looks like a 20ish minutes walk from port (perhaps we can take a taxi?)

I am having a hard time finding the post you are referring too, any chance you can point it out to me? Thanks!

Hi , Hopefully you will get Arash as it will save you a lot of time.

I will give you 2 routes to do or you could do both.

1) Cruise terminal to Soller by the coast road.

Head for P de Andratx ,then on to Valdermossa and pt de Soller.

2) Cruise terminal to Sa Calobra.

Head for P de Soller stopping in Soller ,then on to Sa Calobra returning via Inca and Santa Maria.

You will have to plan your route via Google maps,look at the various towns on the routes to see if you want to stop.

https://themallorcainsider.com/the-most-scenic-driving-route-in-mallorca/

Roger b

13 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi , Hopefully you will get Arash as it will save you a lot of time.

I will give you 2 routes to do or you could do both.

1) Cruise terminal to Soller by the coast road.

Head for P de Andratx ,then on to Valdermossa and pt de Soller.

2) Cruise terminal to Sa Calobra.

Head for P de Soller stopping in Soller ,then on to Sa Calobra returning via Inca and Santa Maria.

You will have to plan your route via Google maps,look at the various towns on the routes to see if you want to stop.

https://themallorcainsider.com/the-most-scenic-driving-route-in-mallorca/

Roger b

Thank you! Just got a confirmation from Arash! Can’t wait to explore Mallorca!

3 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

Roger we will be in Palma Oct 21st. Will be able to get into the palace on that day? I can't find tickets online. Do I have to buy them at the facility itself or are they available online somewhere I'm not looking? 

Hi,

You should have no problem with buying tickets in advance busy season will be over  ,I don't think it will be nessarsary.

Here are the details:

https://tickets.patrimonionacional.es/en-GB/informacion-recinto/13/palacio-almudaina

Roger b

We will be on the NCL Prima stopping in Mallorca on Saturday, November 17, 2023 from 10:30 am to 8:30 pm.  I was thinking of doing the train to Soller and Port of Soller, but I just read there is only one train and it leaves at 10:30.  Is this correct?  If so, obviously we won't be able to make that.  Back up plan?

1 hour ago, tjbarney said:

We will be on the NCL Prima stopping in Mallorca on Saturday, November 17, 2023 from 10:30 am to 8:30 pm.  I was thinking of doing the train to Soller and Port of Soller, but I just read there is only one train and it leaves at 10:30.  Is this correct?  If so, obviously we won't be able to make that.  Back up plan?

Hi ,you will be able to get a later train around 12.15 pm ,not sure of exact time as it will be the winter timetable, which will not come out until later in the year.

Look back in this thread and will give you different  suggestions of what to do at this time of the year.

Roger b

https://trendesoller.com/eng/timetable.php?register_vars[ckAnalitica]=1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi ,you will be able to get a later train around 12.15 pm ,not sure of exact time as it will be the winter timetable, which will not come out until later in the year.

Look back in this thread and will give you different  suggestions of what to do at this time of the year.

Roger b

https://trendesoller.com/eng/timetable.php?register_vars[ckAnalitica]=1

Thank you for that info and link.  Strange that I read a couple places that there is only one train a day and a video I watched showed that as well....

Edited by tjbarney

11 minutes ago, tjbarney said:

Thank you for that info and link.  Strange that I read a couple places that there is only one train a day.  Is the link you provided for the "old" train?  Perhaps that's the difference?  One is the old train and the other is a regular train?

This the summer  timetable ,it will change  in September/October.

Not sure what will happen  but last  year there were  trains all day .Last one back is around  6.30pm.

Saturday  is a good day to visit Soller  as it is Market day !!

Edited by roger b
Missed something
  • Like 1

Hi Roger, we will be in Palma de Mallorca next July on the Oasis.  It is in port from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  We are looking at the 4.5 hour tour with Route Mallorca. Do you have any experience with this company?  I am also a little concerned we may be cutting it too close in getting back.  The tour starts and leaves from Via Puig des Teix, 6, 07183 Santa Ponça, Illes Balears, Spain.  Is this going to be a problem? Thanks in advance!  

5 minutes ago, CaroleandAlan said:

Hi Roger, we will be in Palma de Mallorca next July on the Oasis.  It is in port from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  We are looking at the 4.5 hour tour with Route Mallorca. Do you have any experience with this company?  I am also a little concerned we may be cutting it too close in getting back.  The tour starts and leaves from Via Puig des Teix, 6, 07183 Santa Ponça, Illes Balears, Spain.  Is this going to be a problem? Thanks in advance!  

Hi Carole,

I don't know this company  , I have looked over the website as far as time is concerned you will have time to get back to the ship as the tour finishes at 2.30 pm , it is about 30 mins by taxi back to the port.

Now i will give you downsides :

Its expensive ,you will have the added cost of a taxi both ways,its nothing special.

around 300 eu as against around 80 eu if you hire a car 

You could do this trip and see more , I would hire a car ,pick it up and return to the port , look back a few posts and you will see a better route covering nearly the  same ground .

That way you could be off by 8.30 am you will see more any not be governed by time.

Roger b

Does one need an International Driving Permit in order to rent a car there?  I was thinking that would be the best way to explore but I hadn’t gotten around to looking over the laws.

4 hours ago, mdcrim said:

Does one need an InternaHi , tional Driving Permit in order to rent a car there?  I was thinking that would be the best way to explore but I hadn’t gotten around to looking over the laws.

Hi,

Well I have never heard this before and all the people that that I have sent to the car hire company I know have not needed one .

In saying this I looked on the internet to find the answer and found this , leave this with me and I will find out tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/oct/04/why-did-i-need-an-international-permit-to-collect-a-hire-car-in-spain

Roger b

25 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi,

Well I have never heard this before and all the people that that I have sent to the car hire company I know have not needed one .

In saying this I looked on the internet to find the answer and found this , leave this with me and I will find out tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/oct/04/why-did-i-need-an-international-permit-to-collect-a-hire-car-in-spain

Roger b

Thanks for checking for me!  I leave Friday for my trip but have time to run by AAA if needed to obtain one.  

1 hour ago, mdcrim said:

Thanks for checking for me!  I leave Friday for my trip but have time to run by AAA if needed to obtain one.  

I have asked and the law seems to be you do need an international driving license ,even though I don't think it is inforced.

Better safe than sorry

Roger b

7 hours ago, roger b said:

I have asked and the law seems to be you do need an international driving license ,even though I don't think it is inforced.

Better safe than sorry

Roger b

Further update as long as you area visitor a U.S license is acceptable,

Roger b

8 hours ago, roger b said:

Further update as long as you area visitor a U.S license is acceptable,

Roger b

Thanks for the update and the update to the update!  I’m from the US and I booked a car through your recommendation of Arash Rent a Car.  They did confirm my booking with my US drivers license entered.  Thanks for the referral.  I’m really looking forward to my visit.  

1 minute ago, mdcrim said:

Thanks for the update and the update to the update!  I’m from the US and I booked a car through your recommendation of Arash Rent a Car.  They did confirm my booking with my US drivers license entered.  Thanks for the referral.  I’m really looking forward to my visit.  

I actually  went to Arash this morning  and they told me no IDL is needed. 

@roger b I first want to thank you for all of the information.  We will be in Palma de Mallorca on July 31 and I think we will  take the train to Soller and then the tram to Port de Soller after based on your recommendation.  Then most likely a taxi back to the ship. Does all of this sound feasible based on your extensive knowledge? Our ship arrives at 8:00 am. I’ve been in and out of this thread and wanted to make sure I had everything straight with all I have been reading about all of our various stops on the cruise. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Sugarlandsooner said:

@roger b I first want to thank you for all of the information.  We will be in Palma de Mallorca on July 31 and I think we will  take the train to Soller and then the tram to Port de Soller after based on your recommendation.  Then most likely a taxi back to the ship. Does all of this sound feasible based on your extensive knowledge? Our ship arrives at 8:00 am. I’ve been in and out of this thread and wanted to make sure I had everything straight with all I have been reading about all of our various stops on the cruise. Thanks again.

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts ,if you are getting the first train at 10.10 am get to the station around 45 mins before departure as it will be busy.

You should be able to get a taxi in Pt de Soller go to a restaurant  or hotel and ask them to call one for you .

Have great day !!

Roger b

Wow!  What a great thread!

We will be lucky enough to be visiting this lovely island on Aug. 19th during our 35th anniversary trip.  We are planning to do Soller, its port, visiting the cathedral/palace, and walking/shopping a bit in the old town.  A couple of questions...

1) To maximize our time (8am-6pm in port), it seems we should head to Soller first by train, come back by taxi, and then do our Palma visit.  Will that potentially put us in bigger crowds at the Cathedral?  Will getting admission tickets be a problem?

2) Is there beach access at/near Port de Soller?  If so, where would we be able to change?

3) Am I understanding that we could grab a direct taxi from the ship to the train station?

Thanks,

Natalie and Alan

1 hour ago, teachermom2boys. said:

Wow!  What a great thread!

We will be lucky enough to be visiting this lovely island on Aug. 19th during our 35th anniversary trip.  We are planning to do Soller, its port, visiting the cathedral/palace, and walking/shopping a bit in the old town.  A couple of questions...

1) To maximize our time (8am-6pm in port), it seems we should head to Soller first by train, come back by taxi, and then do our Palma visit.  Will that potentially put us in bigger crowds at the Cathedral?  Will getting admission tickets be a problem?

2) Is there beach access at/near Port de Soller?  If so, where would we be able to change?

3) Am I understanding that we could grab a direct taxi from the ship to the train station?

Thanks,

Natalie and Alan

Hi Natalie and Alan,

You are right get the 10.10 train, Get the shuttle from the ship into Palma will stop opposite  the cathedral, walk to the station taking in  :

https://www.mercatolivar.com/ca/inici/

Amazing market its on the way to the station , there is a lovely beach in port de Soller,

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/port-de-soller-beach-port-de-soller-662643.

Book your ticket for the cathedral and train on line.

https://catedraldemallorca.org/.

If you want to you can get a taxi straight to the station be there 3/4 hr before departure .

Roger b

5 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi Natalie and Alan,

You are right get the 10.10 train, Get the shuttle from the ship into Palma will stop opposite  the cathedral, walk to the station taking in  :

https://www.mercatolivar.com/ca/inici/

Amazing market its on the way to the station , there is a lovely beach in port de Soller,

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/port-de-soller-beach-port-de-soller-662643.

Book your ticket for the cathedral and train on line.

https://catedraldemallorca.org/.

If you want to you can get a taxi straight to the station be there 3/4 hr before departure .

Roger b

Thanks so much!  We see there are changing rooms/showers at the beach.  We are torn right now as it seems that you can only pre-book round-trip tickets in advance.  That makes out timeline tight.  do you know if there is an issue with booking a one-way ticket at the box office on the day of travel? We'd hate to miss out.