Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

Hi! Kind of a strange question, but my partner is blind and we'll be in Palma de Mallorca on Nov. 4, off Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady. Typically at a port we like to just walk from port to a cool place for lunch and drinks. Is this something we can do here? Or is it better to take a taxi to a specific area? Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Podie said:

Hi! Kind of a strange question, but my partner is blind and we'll be in Palma de Mallorca on Nov. 4, off Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady. Typically at a port we like to just walk from port to a cool place for lunch and drinks. Is this something we can do here? Or is it better to take a taxi to a specific area? Thanks!

Hi, 

Virgin will probably put on a shuttle into the city it's only about 10 mins ,

A taxi will be also a short journey for about 12 eu, head for the Cathedral you will a large choice of restaurants .

Hopefully you will get a sunny day and you will be able to have lunch outside.

Roger b 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my family of 4 will be aboard the Celebrity Ascent which arrives in Palma de Mallorca on Sunday, June 30th at 8 AM.  We decided to keep this port visit short and easy since we have full days planned for the other ports we are visiting.  Our sons who are in their 20s made reservations for us for brunch at 1 PM at Barbuda Beach in Palma Nova.  I believe that it is about a 15 minute taxi ride?

I understand that taxis are waiting at the port as people are getting off the cruise ship in the morning but will they still be available around 12:15 as we are heading to brunch?  Will there be "mini van" type of taxis waiting? Our sons are over 6 feet tall and I can't see the 4 of us comfortably fitting in a regular size taxi.

I also read that taxis would be readily available in Palma Nova. How far is the taxi stand from Barbuda Beach?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, motherof22boys said:

Hi, my family of 4 will be aboard the Celebrity Ascent which arrives in Palma de Mallorca on Sunday, June 30th at 8 AM.  We decided to keep this port visit short and easy since we have full days planned for the other ports we are visiting.  Our sons who are in their 20s made reservations for us for brunch at 1 PM at Barbuda Beach in Palma Nova.  I believe that it is about a 15 minute taxi ride?

I understand that taxis are waiting at the port as people are getting off the cruise ship in the morning but will they still be available around 12:15 as we are heading to brunch?  Will there be "mini van" type of taxis waiting? Our sons are over 6 feet tall and I can't see the 4 of us comfortably fitting in a regular size taxi.

I also read that taxis would be readily available in Palma Nova. How far is the taxi stand from Barbuda Beach?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

Hi,

Yes, it is a 15 min taxi ride from the port, you should have no difficulty in finding a taxi even if there is not one waiting outside the cruise terminal.

You should dock at the main terminal which is near the main seafront road, no guarantee of a large taxi !!

It being a Sunday it will be very busy so start earlier if you can , taxis pass Barbuda beach all the time , ask the restaurant to call one for you or it is a 2 min walk to the taxi rank.

Rogerb

58 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi,

Yes, it is a 15 min taxi ride from the port, you should have no difficulty in finding a taxi even if there is not one waiting outside the cruise terminal.

You should dock at the main terminal which is near the main seafront road, no guarantee of a large taxi !!

It being a Sunday it will be very busy so start earlier if you can , taxis pass Barbuda beach all the time , ask the restaurant to call one for you or it is a 2 min walk to the taxi rank.

Rogerb

Thanks so much!  We will definitely plan on getting an earlier start.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 9:49 AM, roger b said:

Hi, 

You are in the right thread now.

I don't think you will be to do a cycle ride and hire a car.

There is a lovely cycle ride from the port all along the the coast for miles.

http://www.portbikemallorca.com/en/

If you hire a car for the day there are many things to see just look back at my past posts.

https://arashrentacar.com/

They will leave the car at the port to pick up and return to the port.

Roger b 

Hi Roger,

How much do you know about the Arash rent a car?  I have not found much information about them other than the link you provided to their website.  No ratings or reviews. The are on TripAdvisor but zero reviews. I don't find them at all on Yelp. We love the fact that they will drop off and pick up from the cruise port but I like knowing for sure companies are legitimate before using them. Also some of the information on their site about the optional insurance coverage isn't very detailed.

Do you know of any other carriers that offer pick up at or near the cruise port?  Has anyone else on here used them and can give a review?

Also, how long does it take to get to Deia & Valldemossa from there?  Would you recommend doing one before the other or any specific things we should consider doing in those areas?  We will only be in port from 11:00 am till about 7:00 pm and it will be in Mid November so I'm assuming it will be too cold to swim.

Thank you for your assistance and information!

24 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

Hi Roger,

How much do you know about the Arash rent a car?  I have not found much information about them other than the link you provided to their website.  No ratings or reviews. The are on TripAdvisor but zero reviews. I don't find them at all on Yelp. We love the fact that they will drop off and pick up from the cruise port but I like knowing for sure companies are legitimate before using them. Also some of the information on their site about the optional insurance coverage isn't very detailed.

Do you know of any other carriers that offer pick up at or near the cruise port?  Has anyone else on here used them and can give a review?

Also, how long does it take to get to Deia & Valldemossa from there?  Would you recommend doing one before the other or any specific things we should consider doing in those areas?  We will only be in port from 11:00 am till about 7:00 pm and it will be in Mid November so I'm assuming it will be too cold to swim.

Thank you for your assistance and information!

HI

I have no hesitation in recommending Arash I have known them for 20 years and have had many people thank me for recommending them.

Ask for Carlos !!

Just to put your mind at rest :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=e561d0ec59a4f4d7&sxsrf=ADLYWIKfSFQT0TJ5wqv0oUkKIWIg8A-RNw:1720110672311&uds=ADvngMjcH0KdF7qGWtwTBrP0nt7dWh3pMQ8boPWDC5mbLmmB-Sya94XnqixNsTmr1wIW6c9PLwHa-mwoipIGtVBkz8Sgw1DNfRM1QogIptthu7KjGNkAwPjMRj2SQkrdh4M8Fr8EYLiV&si=ACC90nzcy7sviKw0NTZoUBUzhQehr3jouizIrVSf6avWI23m1T2gGEDDKnjOB0vRIPJAYvfuHFuvbia-4p2D8Q7b0TRv12AZ94hU5IsTm0RHKUf63jCyT5w%3D&q=Rent+A+Car+Arash+Reviews&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilr-PM542HAxU_Q_EDHdHzCcgQ3PALegQIPRAF&biw=1280&bih=599&dpr=1.5

The journey to Valldemossa and Deia will take around 30/40 mins then on to Deia for another 20mins carry on to Port de Soller and Soller .

From Soller it is about 30 mins back to Palma , do the trip in this order.

TOO Cold to swim ,but lots do !!

Roger b

We will be in Palma on 7/21 from 12 to around 11pm.  They say to be back on board by 9pm.

Would it be possible to go to a beach for a little while then do a 4pm tour of the Caves of Drach?  And, is it easy to get a taxi to and from the Caves of Drach?  Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

We will be in Palma on 7/21 from 12 to around 11pm.  They say to be back on board by 9pm.

Would it be possible to go to a beach for a little while then do a 4pm tour of the Caves of Drach?  And, is it easy to get a taxi to and from the Caves of Drach?  Thanks! 

Hi.

Yes , it would be possible allow at least an hour either way for the trip .

Personally I would hire a car drive to Porto Cristo which has a beach and is a lovely place to visit.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187462-i124-k13631222-Beaches_near_Caves_of_Drach-Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

Then you would not be rushed , see Arash Rent a car will meet you from the ship and return car to port when you return.

The easiest and cheapest way to do it .

Roger b  

Posted (edited)

Thanks Roger!  I will look into Arash.

One other question, would we need an international driver's license?

Edited by FlashF15
added question

Roger,

About how much would a taxi be to the Caves of Drach?  And, would it be easy to get 1 back to the port?  I know you mentioned the car hire and we are looking into it, but as someone else mentioned there are no reviews online.  If I add delivery to the port and the insurance, it's over 100Euros.  So, just trying to figure out the best for 4 people.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, FlashF15 said:

Roger,

About how much would a taxi be to the Caves of Drach?  And, would it be easy to get 1 back to the port?  I know you mentioned the car hire and we are looking into it, but as someone else mentioned there are no reviews online.  If I add delivery to the port and the insurance, it's over 100Euros.  So, just trying to figure out the best for 4 people.  Thanks!

Hi 

A taxi would be 110 eu each way and no guarantee you would get one back,then you would have to fit in the beach which would be difficult to sort out .

I have a driver that would be about 400/450 eu for 4/5 hours.

You will find my reply to the reviews by reading my answer.

Car hire wold be about 75/85 eu for the day including insurance.

This the cheapest and best option !!

Roger b

19 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

Thanks.  Went ahead & booked a car through Arash. Where is the lock box located at the Palma port?

O.K the car is left in the car park  at the port , the key is in a locked box with a code attached to the window. 

Arash  will  tell you exactly  where  the car is , just confirm  everything  with Arash 

Roger b 

1 hour ago, FlashF15 said:

Thanks.  Went ahead & booked a car through Arash. Where is the lock box located at the Palma port?

Can you please let us know how your experience was with the car rental?  Thanks!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

Can you please let us know how your experience was with the car rental?  Thanks!

Hi,

Please see my post 659 about 6 back!!

Roger 6

Edited by roger b
Wrong number

14 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

Sure, I’ll do my best. Rental is for Sun, 7/21. I haven’t seen any negative posts so hopefully it’ll be great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

Sure, I’ll do my best. Rental is for Sun, 7/21. I haven’t seen any negative posts so hopefully it’ll be great. 

Put your Phone on Google  maps and you will have no problems, very  good wi fi nearly  everywhere. 

• Like 2

Hello,  What do you recommend for a beach day from our Cruise Ship the first week of September?  We had wanted to go to Magaluf (even though we are 60 somethings we love hanging out on the beach, in the beach bars, and in the cafes.  I've gotten concerned reading about the recent - new planned tourism protests in Palma De Mallorca. (Magaluf was specifically written about.)  Would we be better at a more family oriented beach like Palma Nova? Or should we avoid beaches altogether and do a tour of some kind. Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, mrc1961 said:

Hello,  What do you recommend for a beach day from our Cruise Ship the first week of September?  We had wanted to go to Magaluf (even though we are 60 somethings we love hanging out on the beach, in the beach bars, and in the cafes.  I've gotten concerned reading about the recent - new planned tourism protests in Palma De Mallorca. (Magaluf was specifically written about.)  Would we be better at a more family oriented beach like Palma Nova? Or should we avoid beaches altogether and do a tour of some kind. Thanks in advance.

Hi , Yes if you decide  on a beach day neither  of these  would  be my choice .

Try 

https://balnearioilletas.com/

No problem  with protests  They are on the other resorts than those near Palma .

If you have not been  to Palma before  take a tour the most beautiful island in the Med.

Roger  b

• Like 1

We have a tight schedule because we dock at noon on Sat Oct 19. Will take the train to Soller (and a quick RT tram ride/visit to the Port) so may want to get a taxi from Soller back to the ship.  Might you easily know the approximate cost for the taxi?  I'd want to be back onboard not later than 6:30pm.

1 hour ago, Adventures ahead said:

We have a tight schedule because we dock at noon on Sat Oct 19. Will take the train to Soller (and a quick RT tram ride/visit to the Port) so may want to get a taxi from Soller back to the ship.  Might you easily know the approximate cost for the taxi?  I'd want to be back onboard not later than 6:30pm.

Hi,

You can get the 1.30pm train , you should  have plenty  of time ,if you want to be back by 6.30pm..

A taxi will be 65/80 eu , back from Port de Soller. 

Roger b 

34 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

Roger, what restaurants would you recommend between the port & Caves of Dradh?

Hi, 

I would  probably  go into Porto Christo , you have a choice of waterside  restaurants. 

It is a lovely  fishing  village ,and is very  close to  the caves.

Roger b 

• Like 1