Taxis in St. John New Brunswick

bayou cruiser

I've rented a car from Budget at the airport location for our port day in St. John, New Brunswick.  Will it be easy to get a taxi to the airport to pick up the rental and then one to return to port?  All the other rental places are booked.  Anybody do this?  Or should I just give in and take the ship's excursion?

Hi Bayou cruiser. I live in the Saint John area. The drive from the cruise terminal to the airport is 20 to 25 minutes in good traffic. I am not sure the date you will be here but right now there is major road construction all over the city. Getting to the airport in the morning probably wouldn't be a problem but getting back into town in the afternoon could be. 

There are taxi drivers outside the cruise terminal who will do tours.  We booked with an tour operator originally but he was NOT in a good mood and after driving us out of the city for half an hour, we mutually agreed that it would be best to not continue with the tour.  He brought us back to the cruise terminal and dropped us off.  We then went with one of the taxi drivers who gave us a great tour for less cost than the tour operator.  The cost was US$50/hour and we had about a 4.5 hour tour for four of us.