Sandy toes

jptoz

we went on that day trip this july, and had a wonderful time.  the lunch was good and you could have 2nds or 3rds if you wanted.  the crew was great and fun.  The pigs were cute and harmless.  The bathrooms had a/c which was nice.  It was a quick 20 min ride from paradise island.  I would go again, price was right. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:54 PM, Snickles65 said:

we went on that day trip this july, and had a wonderful time.  the lunch was good and you could have 2nds or 3rds if you wanted.  the crew was great and fun.  The pigs were cute and harmless.  The bathrooms had a/c which was nice.  It was a quick 20 min ride from paradise island.  I would go again, price was right. 

Im in port till  6 PM. Do you think that would be enough time, or would I be cutting to close. It says on there website that your back at the ferry terminal by 3:45 is that true. Also would it be good for kids.or was it more adult oriented.  Thanks for any info

22 hours ago, BNBR said:

Just note that this is where the girl was recently mauled to death by tiger sharks.  Just an FYI.

Yes, there was an incident, but Sandy Toes has taken several precautions as well as adding employees and medical staff.   

There are now warnings about wandering off alone and going beyond the markers.

And yes, there are sharks in Bahamian waters... you are in their territory.

BTW.. Coroners (and others) report there was only 1 shark.  

Edited by scubagirrl

Those involved claimed 2 sharks. And yes, it was a Sandy Toes snorkeling excursion at Rose Island.  The northern Bahamas has a lot of tiger sharks in general. Personally, I would not be swimming there more that 5-10 yards off the beach after this happened, which was very recent. 

17 hours ago, Shidah said:

Wow, just looked this story up.  So horrific for that family.  Article stated 3 sharks I thought.  You couldn’t pay me to put my family in those waters.

It's right next to Nassau.  The NCL and Royal private islands are in between Nassau an the West End, with tons of tiger sharks. It's one of the benefits to Blue Lagoon, that while possible, it's unlikely sharks are going to be hanging out in the lagoon. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, BNBR said:

It's right next to Nassau.  The NCL and Royal private islands are in between Nassau an the West End, with tons of tiger sharks. It's one of the benefits to Blue Lagoon, that while possible, it's unlikely sharks are going to be hanging out in the lagoon. 

Ive never seen or heard of anyone getting attacked in NCL or RCCL's private islands, or even reports of tiger sharks.  Please let me know when and where so I can look further into that.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Denise&Paul STL said:

Ive never seen or heard of anyone getting attacked in NCL or RCCL's private islands, or even reports of tiger sharks.  Please let me know when and where so I can look further into that.  Thanks!

Do you think sharks politely avoid the waters around these island?  The Bahamas is loaded with sharks in general.  Their islands are right along the deep eater in between Rose Island and the West End where sharks navigate.  Tiger sharks are at both... I can assure you they are near these islands as well.  Shark attacks are unlikely in general, and with a ton of activity in the water even less likely.  But certainly possible and they are absolutely in that area.  Great whites, tigers, and bulls are the most dangerous but also tons of lemon sharks as well as hammerheads and several other species.

Edited by BNBR