Questions about sailing from New York

PattiHere

My husband and I are looking at cruising from New York on the Norwegian Dawn, September 2, 2006. The only problem, we have never been to New York. Both of us are not fond of flying, so we are considering driving from Florida, and stopping to see friends in Virginia for a day, arriving in the New York area on a Wednesday. That would give us two days for sightseeing.

We have been looking at the Sheraton Suites Hotel in Weehawken, New Jersey. My husband gets a discount with this chain, so it would help our budget. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? The reason we are looking at this hotel is because we are not sure about driving into the city, and where we would keep our car - do the hotels have parking for your car if we stay in a hotel in the city? Also, we are wondering about driving into the city on Saturday, the day we embark for our cruise? Will it be difficult for us to find the pier? Is it difficult driving in the city?

I guess we are not sure about driving or getting around in the New York area and that is what is stopping us from booking this cruise at the moment. We would love to see New York and go on this cruise, but I suppose we just need to know that we will be okay getting around the city. We imagine getting lost and not being able to find our way around the streets of New York.

We would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone could give us about getting around the city, sightseeing and getting to the port. Thank you in advance for your help!

You're asking many different questions in one post. I can answer some, but not others.

No, I'm not familiar w/ the hotel in NEw Jersey you're looking at, so no input there. However, I think that WeeHawken is probably too far a place to stay in if you want to visit NYC.

Some hotels in NYC do offer parking for their guests. Of course, once you leave for your cruise, you're no longer a guest so you would have to look at long term parking. So it's probably best just to put it into long term parking from the time you get here til the time you're ready to leave. I can't help you with where to park, perhaps some others here can.

NYC is extremely easy to get around, however, you don't want to drive around from place to place here. Parking is a nightmare. So, if you drive into the city and stay in a hotel, park your car and then forget about it until after the cruise. The best way to get around NY is by foot, bus, taxi and subway. It's a very easy city to navigate so I don't think you should worry about getting lost.

If you stay in a NYC hotel, just take a taxi to the port for your cruise. It's very easy.

Jane

Thank you Jane for your reply. I am sorry about all the questions. My husband and I would love to see New York City, and it sounds like it may not be as difficult to get around as we were fearing. I will try to research long term parking also, since it sounds like we will not need our car once we arrive in the city - now I just have to figure out where to begin! Thank you again!

While Jane (Hi, Jane!) is definitely a NYC expert, I'd just like to give you some additional food for thought.

Here is a thread from the NCL board with parking info for the pier. The price is extremely inexpensive for Manhattan:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289219

Also, if DH gets a discount through Sheraton, here are more Starwood hotels that are located in Midtown and much much closer to the pier.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=421

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=425

http://www.westinny.com/

I would go to the Norwegian board where there are many threads from posters who have cruise on the Dawn from Manhattan. You will find loads of info.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.;)

P>S> I see you've already been on the NCL boards.

for you reply and the links. Yes, I posted the same questions at the NCL board. Everyone has been very helpful, I don't think my husband and I feel as nervous now about driving to New York and going on the cruise - now we just have to begin researching where to stay, what we would like to see and I will also look at the thread about parking at the pier. Do you know if we will have a difficult time finding the pier, since we have never been to New York. We won't use our car while we are sightseeing, but will have to drive to the port of the day of embardation.

Yes my husband does get discounts with Starwood hotels - thanks for the links to the other hotels. We are going to check them out.

I see you are from Baltimore, we are also considering spending a night there on our way to New York and seeing the Inner Harbor. Not definite yet, but it is something we are thinking about.

Thank you again for all your help.

P.S. I love your name, Madeline - it has always been one of my favorite names!

Patti,

If you can get a Starwood or Sheraton hotel in NYC that's in your budget, go for it! Don't even think about staying in New Jersey!

Ask the hotel about long term parking. Perhaps with your husband's discount, it's almost as reasonable at a commercial garage.

It really doesn't matter where you park your car in terms of location. Park it by the pier only if it's that much cheaper than somewhere else. Taking a taxi to the pier and then back to the garage after your cruise is just no big deal.

You would not have a hard time finding the pier. Just drive to the water and look for a big ship! :D

This is all really simple. I know it seems overwhelimg to you, but take it in steps......

1. Find hotel w/ best rates. Either select one yourself or post the choices here for some feedback.

2. Shop for best car parking rates in NYC.

3. Drive to NYC. Drop luggage off at hotel. Park car at hotel or in garage.

4. Enjoy NYC. See things, eat stuff, drink stuff, buy stuff.

5. Take taxi to pier and board your cruise. Have a fabulous cruise.

6. After cruise, pick up car. (or stay in NYC a few more days)

7. Drive home.

8. Report back here how wonderful and easy-peasy it all was and how you were nervous about nothing!

Jane

PS Just found some parking info for you to look into: http://www.WeParkNewYork.com

or call 1-877-PARKING.

Patti, since Manhattan is an island and surrounded by water, if you head east or west, you can only go so far. No, you shouldn't have any trouble finding the pier. We never drive to NYC, so you may want to check mapquest or somewhere else for driving directions.

Just as Jane said, NYC is one of the easiest places to get around. If you think you're lost, just ask someone.

Here's an Inner Harbor link:

http://www.baltimore.to/baltimore.html

Thanks for the "Madeline" compliment, but my name is Karen. ;)

Do you know if we will have a difficult time finding the pier, since we have never been to New York.

Yes my husband does get discounts with Starwood hotels - thanks for the links to the other hotels. We are going to check them out.

I see you are from Baltimore, we are also considering spending a night there on our way to New York and seeing the Inner Harbor. Not definite yet, but it is something we are thinking about.

Thank you again for all your help.

P.S. I love your name, Madeline - it has always been one of my favorite names!

I'm going to throw my two cents in.

Why not hop the train to NYC? It is cheap and getting a sleeper car makes it very romantic. You can hop the train in Florida or after visiting your friends in Virginia.

The train station is Penn Station and it is right smack dead in the middle of Midtown. From there you can jump in a cab and go straight to your hotel.

Why stay in New Jersey if you want to sightsee in NYC?

I think you are making it much more intimidating than the city really is.

The two Sheratons in Midtown are right across the street from each other steps from Times Square and a couple of blocks from:

Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall)

Fifth Avenue Shopping (Bergdorf Goodman, Saks, Bendel's, Tiffany & Co, H&M, A/X, Takashiyami, Cartier, Prada, the shops at Trump Tower, etc)

Central Park

St. Patrick's Cathedral

And oodles of other places.

My husband and I are looking at cruising from New York on the Norwegian Dawn, September 2, 2006. The only problem, we have never been to New York. Both of us are not fond of flying, so we are considering driving from Florida, and stopping to see friends in Virginia for a day, arriving in the New York area on a Wednesday. That would give us two days for sightseeing.

We would love to see New York and go on this cruise, but I suppose we just need to know that we will be okay getting around the city. We imagine getting lost and not being able to find our way around the streets of New York.

Patti --

Welcome.

I'm a little confused. You live in Florida & want to drive to NY to take a cruise to Florida. huh? I think it would be cheaper to schedule 2 vacations -- 1 cruise leaving from Florida & 1 trip to NYC.

I'm not sure why you want to sail through northen atlantic waters in hurricane season to get back where you bascially started. If you are going to do this, perhaps you'd be better served finding a repositioning cruise. get yourselves up to NYC & then sail home to Florida.

Getting around NYC is easy because there are so many options. You can

Drive -- most difficult & expensive

Walk -- obviously depends on the distances

Take a cab -- convenient but gets expensive

Take a bus -- pretty easy & safe (buy a metro card)

Take a subway -- relatively easy & getting safer. (I don't care for the subway, personally, but respect it's expanse & convenience)

Enjoy.

I realized my mistake after I sent my reply - but Karen is a nice name also. I have always loved the name Madeline though!

Thank you for the link to the Inner Harbor - I do hope we will have enough time to see it on our way to New York.

Also, thank you Blue Herons for the information on the two Sheratons - I was wondering what would be nearby. My husband and I are beginning to do our research on hotels so your information helps a lot.

Tishic, the cruise we are looking at goes to New England - another place I have always wanted to visit - we liked this cruise because it leaves from New York - which I have always wanted to see. Our biggest fear was getting around the city, but with everyone's help, I think my husband and I will be fine.

Thank you again everyone for all your help and replies - I realy appreciate it.

We have stayed at the Sheraton Weehawken, it has fablous views of Mahatten. The roons are good size unlike the typical NYC hotel rooms. There is a ferry that will take you across the river if you want to sight see prior to your cruise.

Parking in a hotel in New York City is very expensive $30/day or more, and some will charge you that every time you car out of the garage. I don't remember what the charge for parking was but it was reasonable.

We have stayed at the Sheraton Weehawken, it has fablous views of Mahatten. The roons are good size unlike the typical NYC hotel rooms. There is a ferry that will take you across the river if you want to sight see prior to your cruise.

Parking in a hotel in New York City is very expensive $30/day or more, and some will charge you that every time you car out of the garage. I don't remember what the charge for parking was but it was reasonable.

I tend to discourage first time visitors from staying outside Manhattan when they are sightseeing specifically in Manhattan.

Thank you alexkrn46 for the information on the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken. Actually after doing some research, my husband and I still are thinking of staying here - we think it will be easier for us since we are not familiar with the city and are unsure about driving in New York.

We really appreciate your reply - it is helping us with making our decision!

Tishic, the cruise we are looking at goes to New England - another place I have always wanted to visit - we liked this cruise because it leaves from New York - which I have always wanted to see. Our biggest fear was getting around the city, but with everyone's help, I think my husband and I will be fine.

That makes a ton more sense now. :) New England is gorgeous in the fall. You'll love "leaf peeping" especially as a Floridian who doesn't get to see the blaze of color every fall.

Enjoy!

My DH and I are researching hotels, shows and other sighseeing options in the city. We were anxious about driving in the city, even getting to the port, but because of all the helphful answers and suggestions from everyone, we are now looking forward to our cruise and visit to New York.

Archived