san diego - airport to cruise terminal with stop along the way

scdreamer

Cruising out of San Diego and will be taking a taxi to the cruise terminal from the airport. We're just bringing carry-on to fly, and would like to stop on at a Trader Joe's or similar on the way to the dock to pick up a few things. Anyone know if there's a TJs on the way? And if it would be difficult to get the taxi driver to stop and wait?

There's a Ralph's in downtown San Diego.  What I would do is take an Uber or Lyft from the airport to Ralph's or a TJ's if you can locate one.  Do your shopping and than call another Uber or Lyft to take you to the cruise terminal.

If you use a taxi he's going to keep the meter running.

Edited by Roz

Except that we will have our carry-on bags with us, and I really don't want to schlepp them around a grocery store and then have to wait for an Uber to show up afterwards. I don't mind paying the taxi to wait for fifteen minutes or so. Just want to grab a few items.

2 hours ago, scdreamer said:

Cruising out of San Diego and will be taking a taxi to the cruise terminal from the airport. We're just bringing carry-on to fly, and would like to stop on at a Trader Joe's or similar on the way to the dock to pick up a few things. Anyone know if there's a TJs on the way? And if it would be difficult to get the taxi driver to stop and wait?

On the way there's very little. In fact dock to Airport is such a short distance, you could walk it in 40 minutes.

You'd have to detour into downtown (or closer to downtown), to do a little shopping on the way

5 hours ago, scdreamer said:

Except that we will have our carry-on bags with us, and I really don't want to schlepp them around a grocery store and then have to wait for an Uber to show up afterwards. I don't mind paying the taxi to wait for fifteen minutes or so. Just want to grab a few items.

Here is how it looks in Google Maps, my two cents is, I'd leave one person outside of TJ's, while the other shops. Getting in and out of TJ's in just 15 minutes is very optimistic.

There is also a Von's (Safeway/Albertson's store) in the same complex.

Maybe we'll just see if we can stop at a Ralphs or Safeway. Pretty much I just want to buy a case of water and a few bottles of inexpensive wine. I know we can't get the water at TJ's so probably a more mainstream grocery store is better. Thanks for the map.

1 hour ago, scdreamer said:

Maybe we'll just see if we can stop at a Ralphs or Safeway. Pretty much I just want to buy a case of water and a few bottles of inexpensive wine. I know we can't get the water at TJ's so probably a more mainstream grocery store is better. Thanks for the map.

We get water and inexpensive wine at the Rite Aid drugstore near the pier.  Its on Ash Street, about 4 blocks from the ship and walkable in about 10 minutes.  Check your luggage at the pier and walk to Rite Aid.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1