On what cruiseline would you not even book your Mother-in-law?

flagger

What's a blue collar joe, and whats wrong with working at a blue collar job. What would YOU do without those blue collar workers? Fix your own car, ect.

Last time I looked at DH pay check it was still more than mine. DH the auto tech still makes more than me the Lawyer.

I didn't care for Costa. So I wouldn't send MIL on their ships.

I agree with the defunct Epirotiki line. I was on the Jupiter, if i hated my mother in law that would be the ship( its at the bottom of the Med) i really like my mother in law and have travelled with her. Met some people off the Triton when asked how their trip was they gave us the finger! I guess that says it all.

no marti, not toward you, it was meant for mr. pickett. my point is there are a lot of blue collar workers that travel celebrity, myself include, and i take offense at his callous remarks and the snobbery it smacks of!

"live long and prosper...so you may cruise!"

Skyward/Starward/Carla Costa/Meridian x3/Enchanted Isle x5/Enchanted Seas/Horizon x2/Zenith/Galaxy/Norway x3/Nor.Sun x2/Nor. Wind/Nor. Majesty/Nordic Prince/Oceanbreeze x3/Seabreeze x2/Seawind Crown/Islandbreeze

For my (now deceased) MIL--a leaky canoe. She didn't like me and didn't mind making it perfectly clear, and that dislike spilled over onto her grandchildren. Fortunately, I had a very valid reason for not attending her funeral. Saved me the trouble of being hypocritical.

I am probably going to book a 2-nt cruise to nowhere on Carnival for my sil and myself. She's finishing up chemo for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and her dr said she should be feeling back to par in Oct/Nov. When I did the math, a cruise is more affordable than a chick trip to Vegas or a spa in AZ as well as a shorter flight.

Since we're taking our first cruise (ever) on Celebrity in Aug, I'll have a std for comparison come Nov.

M/R

Would not book MIL on any cruise I'm on!! icon_wink.gif

Regarding the Carnival comments, while we have never sailed with them, we do have a number of experienced cruiser friends who have. Their newer ships (those less than 3 yrs. old) get nothing but praise from friends. Yes, the interior decor may still be a bit garish, but has been toned down. And everything I've heard praises the food. They seem to be moving ahead of most of the other lines in that regard. I can speak from first-hand experience as to how the level of quality/choice in DR's and buffets have fallen on RCCL, for instance. Do know this- regardless of what we might think, Carnival must be doing SOMETHING right!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til the cruise of the Century

Celebrity Horizon '97

RCCL Sovereign '98

Grand Princess '99

RCCL Enchantment '00

Ocean Princess '01

RCCL Radiance '02

Golden Princess 4/5/03

RCCL Navigator 1/10/04

Celebrity Century 9/11/04

Diamond Princess-Alaska 9/05

Have sailed on Celebrity, Carnival and NCL. Of course we like Celebrity but were treated like royality on NCL when we took a trip to South America. Carnival was a hit or miss for us. Yes, at times we ran into rowdy people but not on every cruise. I think the problem with Carnival is their reputation. They seem to compel people to act differently then they would at home. I don't think many people leave beer cans in the middle of their floor.

As far as blue collar workers, just let me say this, my husband is an Attorney and we don't have a pension provided for us and since we spend too much money on cruising some of our blue collar friends will be in better shape then we are when we retire.

I think my mother in law would like what I dont like. I really did not like NCL...so she would like that. That is the nice thing about cruises what I like others will dislike.

Find a cruiseline that meets your needs and and have fun and sail away!

Michael

Regal Princess 1995

Sun Princess 1996

Veendam 1996

Viking Serenade 1996

Carnival Fantasy 1996

Costa Victoria 1996

Celebrity Century 1997

Carnival Elation 1997

Sea Princess 1998

Sovereign of the Seas 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Voyager of the Seas 1999

NCL Sea 2000

QE2 2000

Carnival Ecstasy 2000

Crystal Harmony 2000

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Monarch of the Seas 2001

Disney Magic 2001

Carnival Victory 2001

Sun Princess 2001

Golden Princess 2001

Radisson Mariner 2001

Celebrity Millennium 2002

Zuiderdam 2002

Century 2003

Summit 2003

Zenith 2004

Diamond Princess 2004

Island Princess 2004

If I had to pick one it would be NCL, it wasn't horrible, just not close to my other cruises. I have sailed on Carnival's oldest ships, with one coming up next month, and I've always had a great time - although granted I don't enjoy them near as much as Celebrity - I've never seen the type of behavior mentioned earlier in this thread. I do agree with the poster who said "a cruise is what you make of it!"

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Having experienced NCL, Carnival, Costa as well as many other lines, I wouldn't book anyone I cared for on any of those three lines. NCL's food and service is just plain poor, Carnival is just too crowded for my tastes, and Costa's food and service along with too much smoke is just not for me. It has nothing to do with the passengers, as there are choices for everyone, but those three lines are just not what I would want in a cruise.

Darcie

I'd put her on any cruise ship I wasn't. I wouldn't wish her on any ship and staff at any time! (Complains professionally).

That said, we just got back from a Carnival cruise and it was very nice. The only drawback was on sea days, the decks got WAY too crowded for me. That's when the balcony came in handy. My favorite ship is the Zenith, hands down, but Carnival's Miracle was very pretty (except for the PINK in the dining room but I didn't really even mind that), the food was good (not AS good as Celebrity IMHO) and the desserts were very good.

PS: I'm not going to respond to any slamming. icon_wink.gif

Not only does my MIL live with us,but she is booked for her first cruise ever.And yes we are going too.She has never been on a cruise,and we have been on several.I'm thinking i should make it a bad expirence for her,that way she will never wanna go again!!!....JK icon_biggrin.gif

Cruising is what you make of it,as stated above!!!I have been on NCL,Celebrity,and RCCL,I never had anything to complain about except having to come back home!!!...And i am a blue collar worker and LOVE IT!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dreamward 1994

zenith 1996

norweigen 1998

zenith 2000

nordic empress 2002

zenith 2003

nordic empress?...2004

If i'm not cruising i'm fshing!!!

Glad to see snobery and elitism is alive and well. It must be nice to be so well off that price isn't an issue.

Carnival may be far from the Ritz- Carlton but neither is it a trailer park filled with beer swilling "blue collar Joes" as some of you claimed. What it does allow are families and other people to enjoy vacations that don't wreck their budgets. They can escape for a few days a little more often since the cruises are less expensive.

Fortunately there are many cruise lines catering to different tastes and budgets. Those of you who are just too good to join with the regular folks stick to what you are doing.

Windjammer Fantome May 1988 ?

Elation Sept 2001

Voyager of the Seas May 2002

Celebration July 2002

Jubilee Sept 2002

Destiny June 2003

Jubilee Sept 2003

Minnow Cruises, they always get lost!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

Having been on many, many, many I have to honestly say we have NEVER been on a BAD cruise. Carnival included. We just prefer some lines over others and we prefer some for one reason and another for a different. Watching the world go by from the deck of a ship (for me) is such a rush, I'd be very happy to be on ANY ship rather than not be on a cruise. I don't think I would send my MIL (nor would I go) on a Windjammer only because I know what the product offers and that type of trip just does not appeal to me, but it doesn't mean its not good.

OOOH, I ventured to this board to just check it out. I am considering taking Celebrity, just not sure if it will be fun enough for me.
I resent your statement Pickett. I took my belated honeymoon cruise on Carnival Pride, and let me tell you just how "trailer park, Blue Collar" my husband and I are.
My husband and I are 20-something professionals who make a very nice sum of money. We are both educated and cultured individuals. I purchased a brand new Jaguar on my own two years ago. I have traveled all over the world and even attended school in Europe. I do not drink beer out of a can, I would prefer wine or champagne. I enjoy film, theater, and fine dining. I shop at Saks Fifth Avenue.
I will admit, I was hesitant to book a cruise with Carnival because of all the comments I have heard from people like you. I didn't think I was "low" enough to sail on Carnival, but you know what? I did and we had a great time. Granted this was a 7 night sailing aboard it's newest ship at the time. I found the food to be wonderful ( and I have dined at places like the Aqua at the Bellagio, and Areole's) The service was wonderful, the nightlife was terrific, and surprize surprize, I found the majority of the fellow passengers to be very pleasant people.
Oh and you know what? I've priced many cruises, and it seems to me that I could have booked many Celebrity cruises for the same price as a Carnival cruise.
Now should I listen to what I've heard, that Celebrity is a "Stuffy" cruiseline? No, I experience things on my own and form my own opinions. For my next cruise, I will either be sailing another new Carnival ship or maybe trying Royal Caribbean. We will also be taking along our attourney friends who do not live in or have never lived in a trailer park. Maybe some of you need to have a more open mind. Some of us choose Carnival to have a good time, not because we are"poor" and can't afford any better. Hell, if I wanted to, I could take a Crystal Cruise, whose cruisers probably look down on Celebrity - but I would be bored stiff!

??????????? November 2004
Carnival Pride 4/27/02
Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

"Friends don't let friends cruise Carnival" and that's based upon first=hand experience - 2x!!!! NEVER AGAIN. As much as I love cruising, I'd stay home before I'd go on another Carnival cruise.
Happy Sailing!

Dawn Princess 5/04;Infinity 12/04; HAL Veendam 11/05; HAL Ryndam 12/03; PP 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; '88 Admiral Stardancer

My only experience with Carnival was the beach we (un)lucky enough to share with some of their patrons while in Mexico...the more they drank the drunker they got. The drunker they got the louder they got. The louder they got the more vulger they got. The thought of being trapped on a ship with these cretins would turn me away from cruising for ever.

By the way I think the term "trailer park" refers to attitude NOT income level...I have met lots of wealthy trailer park trash as well as lots of folks with modest income that exude class.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04
Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Littlegoo. Thanks for posting. I agree wholeheartedly. It's great to try them all.
The only bad one for me was on the unRegal Empress. Terrible ship but they had great fresh homemade donuts on the aft deck every morning and it was a super itenerary.

Some of you people are terrible. I just ventured over to this board and reading this thread would make me think twice about sailing celebrity. As you can see in my signature I am a Carnival gal and love it. My DH and I are professional people and do not drink. We have met a lot of very nice people of all walks of life on our cruises. Our last cruise we met a couple who were 68 and 70. they were professional people who said they had sailed 9 times . They had been on various cruise lines but liked Carnival the best because it was "fun". They were our table mates and we spent a few evenings together. They too were not big drinkers. for all those reading this thread please take any bashing of any line with a grain of salt.

Mardi Gras 4/1988
NCL Norway 8/1990
Sensation 8/1996
Sensation 4/9/2000
Paradise 2/1/2002
Triumph 1/31/2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;5;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
9/5 Paradise- Panama Canal

I have only taken one cruise in my life so my experience to draw on is limited. However after reading some of the replies I felt I too needed to put my 2 cents worth in. Both myself and my wife are late 30's professionals, well educated and financially comfortable. We decided to take our first cruise in January and after researching many different lines, ships and itineraries we chose the Carnival Legend for many reasons - not just the cost which by the way was not the cheapest. Not knowing what to expect from a cruise vacation we went with an open mind and will admit we had heard all the "Bubba Trailer Trash" talk, etc. What we found was an incredible vacation, a beautiful ship (yes I agree flashy and not how I would decorate the house but beautiful all the same), many new friends from all walks of life and the grand total of ONE obnoxious person out of 2000 (this person was able to clear 3 different groups of people from a hot tub in less than 45 minutes by going on about everything that was wrong with Carnival and how great his regular cruise line of choice was). The food was wonderful, the service above what I expected and the crew professional and courteous. We loved it so much we have booked another cruise on the Legend for next January.

Now to answer the original question, I would probably not book my MIL on our Legend cruise as 2 days pre cruise and 8 days on a ship would pretty much do in our relationship as we have learned over time that moderation is a good thing. That being said though I would not hesitate to book her or anyone else on a Carnival ship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mpickett2000:
very easy, carnival, unless of course she said she wanted to vacation to a floating trailor park<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, my MIL will only sail Celebrity and she lives all summer in a trailer park - ah the irony.

Carnival Legend 02/04

Our Cruise Pics
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/stevencindy"]http://community.webshots.com/user/stevencindy[/url]

To be honest.....Alot of you Carnival bashers just need to back off!! I have sailed with many cruise lines and most of my cruises have been with carnival.(Celebration, Pride, Victory, Inspiration, Triumph) and all were wonderful cruises, in my opinion I believe alot of you "bashers" go on to these ships with a bad attitude from the start, I have had some bad experiances on other cruise lines and I dont have to go around telling people not to go on the ships just because I had a bad experiance.

Coty Jones

Wow, I could not resist! It seems that some people have some extremely strong opinions about Carnival! It just seems to me quite unfair to speak of people that sail on Carnival as "blue collar, beer guzzling, trailer park" people. Sure, there are a ton of blue collar workers that sail on EVERY SINGLE cruisline, they are the majority of workers in this country... and the problem with this is? Sorry, I'm confused... Of course, I'm fairly certain that every line has it's "exceptions". I was quite impressed with the passengers on Carnival. I own an IT company and I am in the faces of high level executives every day, I don't think any of them would be out of place on Carnival, or any of the other lines for that matter. I agree, a cruise is what YOU make of it. Honestly, I feel sorry for some of the posters here, as it sounds like they truly don't WANT to enjoy life anymore, you'd prefer to put others down in order to feel good about yourselves. So, if I HAD a MIL, I would put her on the cruiseship with the likes of SOME of the posters here, that seem to think they are above all else... just my .02.

[img]http://members.aol.com/laracd29/images/animated+angel+and+devil.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;10;30;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Valor Vampires 10/30/05

Sensation 7/03

See our cruise pics at: [url="http://groups.msn.com/thesensationgroup/chrisandchrispictures.msnw?Page=1"]http://groups.msn.com/thesensationgroup/chrisandchrispictures.msnw?Page=1[/url]

I sailed the Carnival Conquest in January. One of our stops was Cozumel, Mexico. Lo and behold, right across from us was the Grand Princess. Can you guess to which ship most of the "drunk", "unable to stand up", "have to be carried" people went. You guessed it, it definitely wasn't the Conquest. I'm only posting this to show that you can encounter rowdy and drunk people on any cruiseline. I'm sure even Celebrity. As you can see, so far all of my cruises have been on Carnival so far, but I'm scheduled to take RCCL's Mariner of the Sea and next year the Carribean Princess. Just to try something new, so when I post on these boards about something - I can speak from firsthand experience - not hearsay. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I have loved each and every cruise that I've been on on Carnival.

Petra

****Proud member of O.A.T.C. (OPENLY ADDICTED TO CRUISING!!)****

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;09;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Until I howl with the Royal Hounds

[img]http://www.bigotis.com/royalsmallwide.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;02;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://www.bigotis.com/Miracle.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;09;16;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[img]http://www.bigotis.com/hounds3.gif[/img]

Carribean Princess - 9/17/05 (Royal Hounds), Miracle - 2/13/05, Mariner of the Sea - 9/04 (Royal Hounds), Carnival Conquest - 1/04 (Conquestadors), Carnival Glory - 9/03 (Glory Hounds), Carnival Legend - 2/03, Carnival Victory - 11/00, Carnival Ecstasy - 11/99

It's kind of funny with a thread like this..You will always have ppl to take offense when something is said about "thier"favorite cruiseline...Now if this was posted on the carnival thread,alot of these celebrity lovers will be over there defending "thier" favorite cruiseline!!!...It will never end..One thing for sure,We all love cruising!!!...Put me on any ship anywhere anytime!!!...Heck i'll even take the MIL... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

dreamward 1994
zenith 1996
norweigen 1998
zenith 2000
nordic empress 2002
zenith 2003
nordic empress?...2004

If i'm not cruising i'm fshing!!!

Archived