NCL transport with free air

kac911

We are cruising out of New Orleans.  We got the free air (which by the way we called NCL prior to it being actually ticketed and were able to change our flights, we wanted a different carrier and they obliged, so doesn't hurt to ask so long as it's before you are actually ticketed she said).  Flight lands at 0850, how will the NCL transport work?  And more importantly the return flight is 6pm, will they be planning to take us to the airport at 8-9am and have us just hang out there all day?  I mean, it's NOLA, I want that time to explore.  If I could get an early (maybe 8-9 ride to the airport I can check in my bags and go back to town on my own for a few hours, but if they won't let me do transport until say 10-11 there won't be enough time to go enjoy the city.  And coming in if I can get to the port and drop off bags early enough I should have time to go play for a bit, I don't need to be the first on the ship!  What has been past experience?  Should I cancel NCL transport and do it all on my own?  We've done cruise air once before on HAL and it was a nightmare because of this and I really wish I'd done my own thing. But because I anticipate having to drop off luggage so i'm not hauling it around it probably isn't so horrible to take it to the airport.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

51 minutes ago, kac911 said:

We are cruising out of New Orleans.  We got the free air (which by the way we called NCL prior to it being actually ticketed and were able to change our flights, we wanted a different carrier and they obliged, so doesn't hurt to ask so long as it's before you are actually ticketed she said).  Flight lands at 0850, how will the NCL transport work?  And more importantly the return flight is 6pm, will they be planning to take us to the airport at 8-9am and have us just hang out there all day?  I mean, it's NOLA, I want that time to explore.  If I could get an early (maybe 8-9 ride to the airport I can check in my bags and go back to town on my own for a few hours, but if they won't let me do transport until say 10-11 there won't be enough time to go enjoy the city.  And coming in if I can get to the port and drop off bags early enough I should have time to go play for a bit, I don't need to be the first on the ship!  What has been past experience?  Should I cancel NCL transport and do it all on my own?  We've done cruise air once before on HAL and it was a nightmare because of this and I really wish I'd done my own thing. But because I anticipate having to drop off luggage so i'm not hauling it around it probably isn't so horrible to take it to the airport.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

How do you know when your free air is going to be ticketed?  Is it so many days before your cruise? Did you have a special phone number you used to call NCL to request a certain carrier?

As to your question I know you usually cannot check in bags earlier than 4 hours before your flight. There might be somewhere to stow them.

We did a cruise last Feb with the free air & booked transport thru NCL.  I would never do it again!  There was a huge line of people waiting to have their transport vouchers checked, then herded to an area where we had to stand since not enough seating, & just waited & waited until our group number was called.  It is not just a group for your ship.  I could have taken Lyft or Uber for a fraction of the cost (4 in our party) & been at the pier 1 1/2 hrs. sooner.  Oh...and for this high cost we got a bus driver who went on & on about how we better have passports or we're not getting on the ship (wrong!) & remember he's the one responsible for getting your luggage safely to your cabin (yea, I'm sure I saw him pushing the luggage cart down the hall of the ship).  All the while this nonsense continued we were all told we could not speak as he was in charge of the bus & we must listen to him.  Heading home was more orderly, not a lunatic driver, but still regretted having pre-booked the transportation & not going with Lyft for a less expensive ride with just the 4 of us.

• Like 1