Transfer from Tianjin port to central Beijing

BigY2

I need some help finding the best way to get one way from the port of Tianjin to central Beijing by bus.  Does anyone know a reputable operator?  Do I need to reserve in advance or do they have buses waiting at the pier that I can hop on?

Thanks!

The port of Tianjin is called Xingang (literally new port).

You can catch a bus or taxi from Xingang to Tianjin. The trip is about 30-40 minutes.

From Tianjin the best way to Beijing is via Bullet Train.

Not quite as good or fast as the Japanese bullet trains, but OK.

Tianjin to Beijing (Beijing South Station) is about 90 minutes via Bullet Train.

I was hoping to find information about the Tianjin port also concerning transportation into the city.  Was happy to see this post.

BruceMuzz:  Can you tell me if I can expect a line of taxi's waiting at the port/pier?  I'm presuming there will be but not 100% certain on this.  Also if there is, do you know if someone is there directing the taxi's to tell the driver where the passenger wants to go?  Hope that makes sense.  I have a print out of the hotel we are going to and hopefully have the name typed in Chinese to help.

Any information you can give me would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

I’m not sure if people realise that Beijing is a long way inland from its port….almost 100 miles so direct transport isn’t particularly straightforward. As previously stated, the bullet train from Tianjin to Beijing is the quickest and probably the cheapest way for an independent traveller.

Below is the entry from my diary of our visit to Tianjin in April 2019 with some photographs which may be of use.

Tianjin cruise port.

* The port is huge and very industrial

* It is situated approximately 20 miles from the city of Tianjin.

* The cruise terminal is very modern and absolutely huge.

* There are duty free shops, a post office, money exchange, toilet facilities and an information desk. Unfortunately, the information desk is small and only had 1 assistant so the queue was very long. Her English wasn’t particularly clear either so we were glad to get assistance from two ladies from Singapore who spoke fluent Mandarin and English.

* There are taxis available directly at the exit (drivers are not allowed into the terminal building). We were quoted US$100 to go into Tianjin. I think the drivers did tours as well.

I didn't see any bus tours being offered.

The public service bus to Tianjin.

* We opted to get the local bus, #513, into Tianjin. It took us a while to find out where the stop was. It is a bit of a walk to the main road but then the stop is directly across the road. The bus livery is mainly yellow. The service isn’t particularly frequent and the information assistant didn’t have a timetable or make it clear where the stop is situated. The busses seem to run every 20 minutes.

* The fare is 2 yuan pp (25p) each way and the exact change is needed. We were very lucky that the driver took pity on us and let us on as we only had a 50 yuan note!!

* The journey takes about 1 hour and the bus terminus in Tianjin is right next to the Bullet train railway station.

* The first part of the route took us along excellent roads but there was very little to see.....only scrubland and a few newly built high rise housing complexes. Once in the city, though, the bus does quite a circuitous route so it gave us chance to see a little bit of the city.

The Bullet Train Station.

* The station is easily identifiable because the roof is made of shiny bronze segments and looks a bit like a tortoise shell.

* The station is huge but luckily there is signage in English. 

* There are toilet facilities, a coffee shop, a supermarket and waiting areas. 

* The ticket office is on the lower concourse.

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_E0535.JPG

On 10/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, Hulagirl said:

I was hoping to find information about the Tianjin port also concerning transportation into the city.  Was happy to see this post.

BruceMuzz:  Can you tell me if I can expect a line of taxi's waiting at the port/pier?  I'm presuming there will be but not 100% certain on this.  Also if there is, do you know if someone is there directing the taxi's to tell the driver where the passenger wants to go?  Hope that makes sense.  I have a print out of the hotel we are going to and hopefully have the name typed in Chinese to help.

Any information you can give me would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

There is a line of taxis waiting at the port. There are people waiting at the end of the line to take your address in English and translate it to the driver. Best to have a printed address or confirmation of the hotel which they can use.