Cruise port in Yokohama Japan

daveb714

Next year we will be taking a cruise from Vancouver to Yokohama Japan.  When we leave the ship in Yokohama, our plan is to take the train to Hiroshima and later back to Tokyo.  We are planning on purchasing a Japan Rail pass for our train travel.  We understand that we need to purchase the rail pass before entering the country and picking it up when we arrive.  Can anyone give me information about where I can pick up the train pass near the cruise terminal?  Also, can anyone tell me where we would be able to board the train?

2 hours ago, daveb714 said:

Next year we will be taking a cruise from Vancouver to Yokohama Japan.  When we leave the ship in Yokohama, our plan is to take the train to Hiroshima and later back to Tokyo.  We are planning on purchasing a Japan Rail pass for our train travel.  We understand that we need to purchase the rail pass before entering the country and picking it up when we arrive.  Can anyone give me information about where I can pick up the train pass near the cruise terminal?  Also, can anyone tell me where we would be able to board the train?

The Yokohama cruise terminal (Osanbashi) is our favorite cruise terminal in the world.  Sailing into the architecturally stunning terminal, we were welcomed by thousands of flag-waving locals, with a large group singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow".  Inside the cruise terminal, there were many areas providing maps, directions, and all types of information.  There was also a free shuttle to the train station provided by the city of Yokohama.  On our sail-away, we were again treated by a modern dance group and massive Taiko drums...more local waving flags of different nations as we sail away....breathtaking.

Here's information regarding the cruise terminal and train station.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3208.html

• Like 1

You usually need to purchase the Japan Rail pass before entering Japan - but not always.

You normally receive the pass at home, and then have it validated at a Japan Railways Station after you arrive in Japan.

In Yokohama, you have 2 major choices to do this:

Yokohama Station is the main JR Station in Yokohama. It is 15 minutes away from Osanbashi Cruise Terminal by taxi or subway. You can board the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) and many other JR Trains there.

Or you can take a taxi from Osanbashi to Shin-Yokohama Station (also about 15 minutes away by taxi) to have your JR Pass validated. Only Shinkansen trains pass through this station.

You need to purchase the JR railpass in your country & they send it to you.

Be carefull you do not get ripped off by non official sellers with high delivery charges.

When you arrive in Yokohama on your ship - take a taxi to SHIN YOKOHAMA station on the Shinkansen Line.

Have your ticket authenticated & book your required train to Hiroshima on right side incase Mt.Fuji is clear of cloud.

We went Green Class & needed to book each journey.

It is an outstanding service with signs are in English & its easy to navigate. 

We bought our Japan 7 day pass at Japan Pass Authorized seller in Toronto.  If you are in Vancouver, check on line and there will be an authorized seller as well in Vancouver.  The authorized seller will give you the voucher and you will exchange it at a JR Office in Yokohama (the Shinkassen station in Yokohama).   We exchanged ours at the Osaka Airport train station as we were arriving spending several days in Osaka prior to travelling to other cities in Japan and prior to boarding at Yokohama.   We loved the pass.  It got us on all the Shin Trains (be careful - certain trains the super super super duper fast ones) are excluded but who cares, there are enough of the others to get you wherever you want to go.  Also, when we were in Tokyo we were able to get around everywhere in that city using the JR trains.    Fabulous Fabulous pass.