Outstanding Goodwill Gesture!

Clay Clayton

Wow!  Just found out that Viking has given each of us an onboard credit of $150 ($300 total per cabin) for the inconveniences we have/are/will face due to being in China during their 70th Anniversary National Holiday.

We had a card in the stateroom upon boarding noting this credit courtesy of Viking.  I didn’t remember that being part of the promo when we booked Orion’s Far East Discovery cruise so I wanted to confirm it was legitimate before we spent it. I asked at Customer Service this afternoon

and was told everyone on board was receiving it.  I suggested they might want to have it announced if they want to really get the goodwill out of it.  Otherwise some guests may not realize where it came from. 

All the sights have been VERY crowded and traffic is  crazy but that isn’t Viking’s fault so this gesture is unexpected and not necessary but certainly welcome!   Especially since in general it has been interesting to see some of the festivities. 

So how to spend it?  Hmmm, massage? A paid excursion? Or pay only $35 for the Silver Spirits package if we use our TA provided OBC too?   Decisions, Decisions!

in any case-thanks Viking!

F5E2BAA6-4494-4FC2-ADB1-D91965355BE8.jpeg

9C541CE1-B3E0-44D5-8655-C228E2866866.jpeg

36DAADD3-6B77-4BF8-80A4-E1639C53DA33.jpeg

• Like 4

Good for you, but I see that there is a rule for some and not for others! The same thing happened to us in our April and May Viking Cruise from Hong Kong to Vancouver. We paid £300 for a trip to Kyoto during the holiday Golden week and inauguration time for the new Emperor. It was so busy we lost the guides within minutes, they then lost most of the group and we spent an hour looking for them, there were many thousands of peope in huge crowds it was even busier than the photos that you submitted, like coming out of a football match. They eventually gave us 25% of what we had paid as a goodwill gesture but I do not think anyone else received anything.  Hope they learn from these situations.

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow!  Just found out that Viking has given each of us an onboard credit of $150 ($300 total per cabin) for the inconveniences we have/are/will face due to being in China during their 70th Anniversary National Holiday.

We had a card in the stateroom upon boarding noting this credit courtesy of Viking.  I didn’t remember that being part of the promo when we booked Orion’s Far East Discovery cruise so I wanted to confirm it was legitimate before we spent it. I asked at Customer Service this afternoon

and was told everyone on board was receiving it.  I suggested they might want to have it announced if they want to really get the goodwill out of it.  Otherwise some guests may not realize where it came from. 

All the sights have been VERY crowded and traffic is  crazy but that isn’t Viking’s fault so this gesture is unexpected and not necessary but certainly welcome!   Especially since in general it has been interesting to see some of the festivities. 

So how to spend it?  Hmmm, massage? A paid excursion? Or pay only $35 for the Silver Spirits package if we use our TA provided OBC too?   Decisions, Decisions!

in any case-thanks Viking!

F5E2BAA6-4494-4FC2-ADB1-D91965355BE8.jpeg

9C541CE1-B3E0-44D5-8655-C228E2866866.jpeg

36DAADD3-6B77-4BF8-80A4-E1639C53DA33.jpeg

This is just awesome!  And typical, at least in my experience, of how Viking treats is guests.  I vote for SS package for $35.00! 😉

Actually at the suggestion of our Scottish friend Lady McG (She has a name on here but I forget it) we are going to do both!  We had mentally budgeted to just buy drinks, and since this is a port intensive trip we won’t likely do much day drinkin, so we are just gonna drink what we want AND get massages!  

• Like 1

We were on the tour before you.  Hong Kong to Beijing . The cruise was fantastic.  As expected some of the tours were not much, but overall had a wonderful time.    We also got the credit.  Our extension tour to the Terracotta warriors and Beijing was great.  Fantastic hotels, and they took us to great restaurants .  Our Viking tour guide,  Francis, was incredible.  The crowds were unbelievable at the Warriors.  We had an early start, breakfast at 5.30 and on the bus by 6.30 a.m.

How many people on your cruise?.  Ours was not full.  I think we had about 750 passengers.

We are full or close to it. About a week before sailing there was only one ES and one PS available.  

Sorry you had such crowds at the warriors, glad we went early.  I could tell from the size of the ticket Plaza that they were set up for huge crowds. Thankfully not the day (two days pre holiday) we were there. We had big crowds at The Forbidden City and folks who did The Great Wall spent 4 hours on the bus each way due to traffic and said the wall itself was pretty crowded 

CFD4396E-CF13-4C8A-B519-29E81F4B4BF3.jpeg