Insignia in Miami 10/5/19

ropomo

I was watching the Port of Miami webcam yesterday evening.  Insignia was docked and ended up leaving about an hour late and required a tug to pull her away from pier and turn her 180 degrees. The tug was definitely doing the maneuvering as the line remained taught and there was no wash from Insignia forward or aft.  Tug remained tethered to the stern of Insignia until out of sight moving toward the main channel on the north side of the port island. Surprised me as most ships pulling out of Terminal J just pull forward a few hundred yards to the turning basin and do a 180 on their own.  Is this normal for Insignia or R ships in general?  Possibly a mechanical issue with thrusters?

She did the same thing the week before.  Yet, if you watch her leave from Key West later today, 10/6, (unless it's different than last week) she will need no assistance from a tug.  I wondered why the tug was necessary from Terminal J as well.  We'll be on her next Saturday and can maybe find out.

Same procedure when we were on Marina last year. I asked an officer why Oceania does it that way. The response was a very courteous "it's policy".  :classic_huh:

Azamara doesn't do it that way. Regent didn't do it that way on the few departures that I have watched on the POM webcam.