Exploring the Baltic with a mobility scooter

We recently went France to visit friends and then on to Amsterdam to join a 21 day cruise on Nieuw Staatandam for a cruise thru Baltic and Norway. I recently was forced to acquire  a scooter or electric wheel chair for traveling more than about 50 yards. This was first for us.

We got off to a horrendous start when confusion at Singapore airlines meant my own folding scooter didn't travel with us!!. It was a bad start but we were determined to make the best of it. My friends were in France were able to find a company which would hire me one while I stayed with them. I contacted my booking agent at HAL Seattle and she sent me the names off 2 companies who could provide a scooter to the ship. I checked both websites and found that one of them had a scooter which would be suitable for me. Feeling a little cheeky I called Scootaround and was soon talking to someone in Winnipeg Canada. .   I asked if it was possible to hire a scooter to be delivered to the ship in five days time and she said which one would you like and sent me the forms by email. One more phone call and it was paid for and when I boarded the ship it was waiting in my stateroom.I thought that was excellent service and it saved my cruise from being a disaster. I would not have been able to leave the ship without it. I have no hesitation in recommending the Scootarounds services.

Before leaving home we had searched many websites looking for information about shore excisions. I found cruise critic to be very helpful. Many people recommended  tours but they didn't want to take scooters or wheeled walkers. I found a thread from a   fellow cruise critic mentioning they were able to book with T J travel so I searched their site and contacted them.Their office staff were extremely helpful and answered all my  questions and yes they would be able to  help us by accommodating my scooter We booked for st. Petersburg on their relaxed tour. We waited a few days for confirmation as they needed six people to go. By combining with someone off the Queen Victoria (to be moored alongside) were set to go. As they were so helpful we booked tours for Berlin and Helsinki as well.

We cannot recommend their tours more highly. On our 2 day St Petersburg tour we saw so much more than we ever imagined. Our guide Alexis and driver Yuri gave us a wonderful experience. Yuri just picked up my scooter and loaded it into the bus effortlessly. He always found the closest drop off points to where ever we went and then magically appeared when we exited. We never had to queue and seamlessly went from one venue to another, Alexis displayed a great knowledge  and love of her city and passed it on to us all. We saw all the sights including the Heritage, Peterhof gardens and fountains, Church of the spilled blood and even had a canal boat ride around the city. Despite what I had read earlier about scooters and wheelchairs not being allowed in Hermitage or  Catherine's Palace and amber room,  we were able to go everywhere. T.J. Travel also arranged all our visas and emailed them to us before we left home. For a small group tour at half the price of what ship was offering go with TJ Tours Comfort tour.

Because we had booked SPB  tour we were given a discount on the Baltic tours. We choose to go to Berlin from Warnamande and then Helsinki. When the train took ships booked passengers in an non air conditioned train to Berlin we speed along in a air con coach on a 36C. day.Our tour guides both on Berlin & Helsinki demonstrated a great knowledge and love of their respective cities and in both places we covered many sights. The drivers made us feel safe at all times and always managed to drop us off close to sights and magically reappear to pick us up when we had finished.

We cannot recommend T.J. tours enough. It was a dream of mine to return to St Petersburg again after 42 years. TJ Tours allowed me to successfully do so and enjoy every minute of it, scooter and all.

I'm glad that you had such a lovely time, especially after getting off to a bad start (I sincerely hope you were reunited with your own chair eventually!).  I'm returning to St Pete's next year and it will be the first time using a powerchair and your report has been very reassuring, thank you.

WE used Alla Tours in Copenhagen, Helsinki and St. Petersburg.  My husband travels with a foldable scooter.  In Copenhagen, the van that arrived had a lift on it, but the driver had not taken the seats out so we were not able to use it. That was my only disappointment with the arrangements.  I had told them we traveled with a scooter and the driver should have been prepared.  After that tour I contacted Alla ahead of our arrival in Helsinki to reconfirm that we would like a van with a lift.  There was one waiting for us when we got off the ship.  And the same in St. Petersburg.  This made our trip so enjoyable as it did not tire my husband out when getting in and out of the van.  He just drove onto the lift, it went up, he drove off and then we helped him to sit in a regular seat.  The driver locked down his scooter and we were off.  I highly recommend Alla Tours but be sure to tell them you need a lift equipped van.  They may tell you at first that they can only confirm one in St. Petersburg, but keep after them.

Kari

Hi I am just wondering did you get your scooter in the end, I’m Australian living in the uk and we go back to Australia every couple of years. I’m now using a Travelscoot and we do sometimes travel Singapore airlines but next time will be the first with the scooter. Would you not recommend them? 

Firstly to "I'd rather be diving", I was told that as recently as 12 months ago Alla was  taking scooters but they were very emphatic they no longer do so unless we took  a private tour with just the two of us. They didn't mention if that included a vehicle with a lift. My hired scooter( from Scootabout on board the ship) did come apart but our driver just lifted it in fully assmbled.

To Ozscotart, My scooter never got to leave Australia due to wrongful information given to us by a Singapore staff member but all along our travels we were told by check in staff that they always take them all the time. My advice would be to  ask for initial book in affirmative agreement be emailed to you as proof.  As I said in my original post I was taken off aircraft in Barcelona with gentleman who was travelling with his fold up scooter which he told me goes to Europe once or twice a year. As to singapore airlines crew and ground staff, I couldn't fault them. I received wonderful care and attention all the way. Would I travel with them again, probably yes as I prefer their route not going thru middle east. I will probably feel more positive when they settle my claim for reinbursement of money spent hiring scooters along  the way.

6 hours ago, Two cruisers downunder said:

Firstly to "I'd rather be diving", I was told that as recently as 12 months ago Alla was  taking scooters but they were very emphatic they no longer do so unless we took  a private tour with just the two of us. They didn't mention if that included a vehicle with a lift. My hired scooter( from Scootabout on board the ship) did come apart but our driver just lifted it in fully assmbled.

To Ozscotart, My scooter never got to leave Australia due to wrongful information given to us by a Singapore staff member but all along our travels we were told by check in staff that they always take them all the time. My advice would be to  ask for initial book in affirmative agreement be emailed to you as proof.  As I said in my original post I was taken off aircraft in Barcelona with gentleman who was travelling with his fold up scooter which he told me goes to Europe once or twice a year. As to singapore airlines crew and ground staff, I couldn't fault them. I received wonderful care and attention all the way. Would I travel with them again, probably yes as I prefer their route not going thru middle east. I will probably feel more positive when they settle my claim for reinbursement of money spent hiring scooters along  the way.

Thanks very much, that’s very reassuring! We like Singapore Airlines too. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, ozscotart said:

Thanks very much, that’s very reassuring! We like Singapore Airlines too. 

I learned a few things while traveling with a scooter:

1. Always let the airline know, include weight, battery size and battery type and any other important info.

2. Always travel with a printout of the reply back stating that your info has been updated.

3. If on a code share flight, always do the same for the other airline.  Never assume your info passes to the other airline.  They must approve also, and send you an email

4. Always find out the procedure before hand for gate checking or baggage checking. 

5. Always find out about the airport rules, and where you will get your scooter.  Oversized baggage or at the gate.

6. Always know that every airline is different, and have different rules.  Know them before you go.

7. When you think you know everything, something else will go wrong.  Be ready to flow with this.