Crew Member Recognition

Observer

Many of us believe that the crew are the special sauce for the Silversea experience.

One CC member has given us wonderful portraits of crew encountered during his voyages.  But otherwise there is little formal online recognition of crew of which I am aware.

Another luxury cruise line apparently designates an employee of the month and posts photos of the employee with officers and his/her recognition certificate on Facebook.  I imagine there may be a monetary recognition as well.

I find these photos to be quite touching.  I am certain that the crew members' family members proudly pass the Facebook post around, etc.

Why doesn't Silversea do this?  Is anyone from HQ reading/listening?  🙂 

• Like 1

Indeed the Excellent Crew are recognised on Silversea with Employee of the Month presentations, and over the years I have been present at a great many of these on the farewell evening when the Crew Parade, and the HR Manager together with the Captain will present the Crew, sometimes more than one, with certificate and reward, which I believe is monetary.

You are absolutely correct, the Crew are one of Silversea’s enduring legacy’s and greatest strength, and long may that be the case.

There was a Cruise Director some years ago now who always introduced the Crew by referring to them as the ‘Ladies and Gentlemen of Silversea’. 

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the quick and helpful response.  I am delighted to know that these awards are given.  

I am embarrassed to say that I have not attended a welcome reception or the farewell (including the impressive Crew Parade) for a number of years. I was sad to learn while at a bar during one recent farewell that the crew is not very enthusiastic about participating in the Parade and refer to it as The Monkey Show or something like that.

Perhaps Silversea could share photos of these awards on Facebook.  Appearing thus on Facebook would probably mean a great deal to many crew recipients.

Thank you Observer for expressing a wonderful desire to have Silversea provide formal recognition to their above & beyond serving crew members.

I do know about once a quarter on board the Silversea ships they have a crew recognition dinner, often held in La Terraza (formal notice announced in the previous evening’s Chronicles that La Terraza will be closed to guests the night this crew dinner is held).  However, I do not know the details of what happens during these crew dinners—for example, do they recognize a crew member of the month.

Having sailed equally multiple times on board Regent and Silversea, believe you are referring to Regent in your post above.

Often over the last decade, when I do behind the scenes  crewmember profiles (i.e., in coordination with the Hotel Director (Silversea) or General Manager(Regent) I ask for their help to identify volunteer crew members who work behind the scenes (generally do not get told thank you by guests (e.g., galley crew, provisions staff, dry cleaning team). On Regent often the GM has had me profile their crewmember of the month.  Interestingly during one profile on Regent the GM asked me to profile a father and son on board the Seven Seas Mariner.

I post these Silversea or Regent behind the scenes crew profiles not only here on cruise critic but (with the crew members permission we become Facebook Friends) on my facebook page.  I then Tag these crewmembers in the profile photos, so the crew member’s family and friends can read of his or her duties.  Very often the Silversea or Regent  crew member family or friends post on my crew profile Facebook post that they are proud of their crewmember for winning this employee award 🙂

Regent also has a dedicated Corporate sponsored Facebook page that post the photos I think you are describing about the crew members of the month and photos with wonderful captions of those crewmembers who have reached seniority milestones (10 year, 15 year, 20 years).   Believe, Facebook is a terrific forum for posting these photos of outstanding crew as most likely the crew members family and friends will enjoy learning of their superb performance.

Believe Silversea could also do something similar on their facebook page as well.  If you agree with this, will copy your post and send it to the Managing Director of the USA, Mark Conroy and suggest SS Facebook pro’s do something similar for worldwide Silversea crew members.

Thanks again Observer for your post, your sentiments reflect sincere caring for the welfare of our beloved Silversea crew—kudos!

23 minutes ago, WesW said:

Thank you Observer for expressing a wonderful desire to have Silversea provide formal recognition to their above & beyond serving crew members.

I do know about once a quarter on board the Silversea ships they have a crew recognition dinner, often held in La Terraza (formal notice announced in the previous evening’s Chronicles that La Terraza will be closed to guests the night this crew dinner is held).  However, I do not know the details of what happens during these crew dinners—for example, do they recognize a crew member of the month.

Having sailed equally multiple times on board Regent and Silversea, believe you are referring to Regent in your post above.

Often over the last decade, when I do behind the scenes  crewmember profiles (i.e., in coordination with the Hotel Director (Silversea) or General Manager(Regent) I ask for their help to identify volunteer crew members who work behind the scenes (generally do not get told thank you by guests (e.g., galley crew, provisions staff, dry cleaning team). On Regent often the GM has had me profile their crewmember of the month.  Interestingly during one profile on Regent the GM asked me to profile a father and son on board the Seven Seas Mariner.

I post these Silversea or Regent behind the scenes crew profiles not only here on cruise critic but (with the crew members permission we become Facebook Friends) on my facebook page.  I then Tag these crewmembers in the profile photos, so the crew member’s family and friends can read of his or her duties.  Very often the Silversea or Regent  crew member family or friends post on my crew profile Facebook post that they are proud of their crewmember for winning this employee award 🙂

Regent also has a dedicated Corporate sponsored Facebook page that post the photos I think you are describing about the crew members of the month and photos with wonderful captions of those crewmembers who have reached seniority milestones (10 year, 15 year, 20 years).   Believe, Facebook is a terrific forum for posting these photos of outstanding crew as most likely the crew members family and friends will enjoy learning of their superb performance.

Believe Silversea could also do something similar on their facebook page as well.  If you agree with this, will copy your post and send it to the Managing Director of the USA, Mark Conroy and suggest SS Facebook pro’s do something similar for worldwide Silversea crew members.

Thanks again Observer for your post, your sentiments reflect sincere caring for the welfare of our beloved Silversea crew—kudos!

Thanks for your post and the profiles you post.  I had forgotten who the poster was.

I have encountered the closure of La Terrazza for crew dinners, but not recently.  My most vivid memory was a December 2001 sailing on RSSC Navigator.  The ship was empty because of 9/11.  A dining facility was used for one of two holiday dinners for crew.  They apparently celebrated in shifts.  Several hugely "entitled" passengers were indignant that crew were having a holiday celebration/dinner in guest "space."  I let them know clearly that my sentiments were precisely opposite.

Actually, I was referring to Crystal rather than Regent.  They post photos of winners on their corporate Facebook page every month.  (Most of the photos are from cruise ships rather than river boats.)  I would be delighted if you would share this suggestion with Mark Conroy.

This is sort of on-topic - at least it is if you view it charitably. 

We often meet people on board who bring up the vexed question of tipping, usually in terms of tipping butler, waiter, barman etc. And full credit to most who also appreciate the seamen, cooks, laundymen etc that we never see yet are vital to the voyage's success but many (most?) pax don't know how to show such appreciation. 

Which leads me to the crew fund. This exists almost invisibly yet provides welfare facilities to the benefit of all crew. So we suggest adding up what you might tip individuals and make a donation to that value to the Crew Welfare Fund instead. Reception will add your donation amount to your on board account (on board credit can't be used for this purpose). 

In return you get a letter of appreciation from the HD and, more importantly, the satisfaction of recognising the contribution of all crew to the enjoyment of the cruise. 

Thanks for listening. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

This is sort of on-topic - at least it is if you view it charitably. 

We often meet people on board who bring up the vexed question of tipping, usually in terms of tipping butler, waiter, barman etc. And full credit to most who also appreciate the seamen, cooks, laundymen etc that we never see yet are vital to the voyage's success but don't know how to show appreciation. 

Which leads me to the crew fund. This exists almost invisibly yet provides welfare facilities to the benefit of all crew. So we suggest adding up what you might tip individuals and make a donation to that value to the Crew Welfare Fund instead. Reception will add your donation amount to your on board account (on board credit can't be used for this purpose). 

In return you get a letter of appreciation from the HD and, more importantly, the satisfaction of recognising the contribution of all crew to the enjoyment of the cruise. 

Thanks for listening. 

Hear! Hear!  An inspired post.  Thank you for it.

Anyone who has much, much too much time on his/her hands could examine my previous posts and see that I have several times urged participation in the Crew Welfare Fund.  In fact, I tip butler/suite attendant and perhaps a waiter/bartender as well as contributing to the Crew Welfare Fund.  I make my contribution at the same time that I go to Reception to opt out of the charity solicitation.

I wish that Silversea publicized the existence of the fund (though I realize this is a sensitive matter given the all-inclusive nature of the Silversea experience).  I saw that another line (Hapag-Lloyd?) held an auction the proceeds of which went to the fund and suggested on this board that Silversea might follow suit.  I rapidly became aware that mine was a minority position.  🙂  

Observer; pls see Mark Conroy’s reply

Col. Wes,

Great suggestion I will pass it to the persona who runs our Facebook page and Cruise Critic relationship.

Mark

Mark Conroy, Managing Director, The Americas

Silversea Cruises

Wells Fargo Center

333 SE 2nd Avenue | Suite 2600 | Miami, FL 33131

+1 954 468 3036 Direct | +1 954 562 0229 Mobile

mconroy@silversea.com Silversea.com

To: Mark Conroy 

Good Tuesday Morn Mark,

Pls see the first post in this active Silversea cruise critic thread (cut & pasted below).

Believe this Silversea cruise critic (Observer) makes a good point to give Silversea crew members who earn employee of the quarter/month honors coverage on the Silversea Facebook page.  Your former cruiseline (Regent) and Crystal does this well.

thanks for listening.

Best, Wes

Many of us believe that the crew are the special sauce for the Silversea experience.

One CC member has given us wonderful portraits of crew encountered during his voyages.  But otherwise there is little formal online recognition of crew of which I am aware.

Another luxury cruise line apparently designates an employee of the month and posts photos of the employee with officers and his/her recognition certificate on Facebook.  I imagine there may be a monetary recognition as well.

I find these photos to be quite touching.  I am certain that the crew members' family members proudly pass the Facebook post around, etc.

Why doesn't Silversea do this?  Is anyone from HQ reading/listening?  🙂 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2703043-crew-member-recognition/

• Like 1

Silversea do indeed hold auctions sometimes for te crew fund.There have been some when we have sailed on the Silver Explorer.One of the crew draws amazing maps of the itinerary.The original is auctioned off and usually raises a tidy sum.

We have sailed several times when the employees are recognised.I then usually post pictures here on my cruise reports.But I agree Silversea could make this better if only via Facebook.

• Like 3

I have just left the Whisper. On the final but one night the crew did the usual parade with all passengers cheering. Then came the certificates which were given to the crew who had excelled in their duties, this was more cheering from the passengers who always appreciate their hard work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrscrab said:

I have just left the Whisper. On the final but one night the crew did the usual parade with all passengers cheering. Then came the certificates which were given to the crew who had excelled in their duties, this was more cheering from the passengers who always appreciate their hard work.

Missed you on the M & M at Tilbury.