Anyone taken the Hummer shore excursion?

Sun&Sand52

Thinking of doing a little shore excursion of Turks &Caicos via a Hummer tour.  Cannot find any information on the boards about this excursion and was just wondering if anyone has done this in the 2 person hummer that travels in a caravan.  Not sure there is really anything worth seeing in T&C, but it would be an easy way to see the island.  Thanks in advance for any comments if you took this (or similar) tour! 😀

Thanks, didn’t know that about the cars.  Wow, would hate to book and then find out at the last minute it’s canceled due to lack of interest.   By any chance have you taken this excursion? Maybe it’s just an island that you don’t need an excursion.... 

Have not. Have used gas powered golf carts on the island.  They are slow and not well maintained.  Can't imagine what the salt air could do to batteries and components in electric  carts  or , having drive electric carts on golf courses,  or slow these would be.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, crewsweeper said:

Have not. Have used gas powered golf carts on the island.  They are slow and not well maintained.  Can't imagine what the salt air could do to batteries and components in electric  carts  or , having drive electric carts on golf courses,  or slow these would be.

Would you recommend upgrading to the jeeps over a golf cart.  Four of us will be on GT in a few weeks and thought about renting golf cart for the day and exploring. We have golf cart at home.

Responding back to my own question last month about the Hummer shore excursion on Grand Turk - just in case anyone is thinking of taking this excursion.  

I did take this excursion through HAL and it was actually good.  The “Hummer” cars were adorable and were well maintained.  No issues at all with the cars and they were quite fast.  The guide we had was excellent and made the experience really nice.   There were about 10 or 11 hummer cars that all drove in a convoy with a guide in the front and one at the back.  We drove on the LEFT side of the road.  Very interesting facts about the island and lots of history was told to our group.  There is not that much to really see in Grand Turk as it is a very small island, only 7 miles long by 1 mile wide.  And a very poor island that relies on only tourism for its economy.  But DH and I were glad we took the tour as it showed us the island.  Highlights were a “downtown” area which really was not much to see but some old buildings and many were empty.  It had an area with some local vendors who were selling items.  And a nice beach lookout.  Some other areas seen were Salt Ponds, local magistrate offices and John Glenn replica space capsules.  My only complaint is the price that HAL charges for this excursion which was $100 each person.  It was not worth the price per person.  Should be half that cost, but that is what the cruise line charges and we knew this ahead of time and did the tour anyway.  If you don’t mind spending the $$ then it is worth the cost as it was a fun way to see the island.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did this same tour in Feb/19 and thoroughly enjoyed it.  (I'm sorry I didn't see this thread to answer the OP's questions prior to her tour.)  Yes, it was expensive but we had OBC that was non refundable so that worked out for us.  To add to the comments above, there is radio contact between the guide and the rest of the vehicles in the convoy during the tour so you are told in advance which way to turn.  Following in the convoy helped with staying on the other side of the road than some of us may be used to.  We had to use arm signals prior to turning to signal our turn but, again, we just followed the leader's example.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1