Bodo Norway Tour Question

PGI GUY

We were on this cruise the first week of March in 2019.  Due to weather, we skipped Bodo and had an extra sea day.  You may not get many responses because I believe that Bodo had to be skipped on over half of the Northern Lights cruises last winter season.

Viking included Bodo on the Midnight Sun itinerary in 2016, before they got permission to dock in Greenwich and changed the itinerary. So, I have been to Bodo with Viking and done the tour but not in winter.

We loved it! I was completely bowled over by the phenomenon and the scenery that surrounded it --the awesome power of nature! It was picture postcard views in all directons.

However, we were there in the warm weather. No ice and/or snow to contend with in order to walk right to the edge of the fjord to view the maelstrom. You can see it from above from the bridge but that view does not compare. We did not do the boat ride on the fjord into the maelstrom; we did all of our viewing from terra firma, so I can't comment on the boat ride.

My big question would be, if the ship is even able to dock in Bodo (which is pronounced more like Buddha than to rhyme with Bow as in tie a bow), is whether or not the paths down to fjord side viewing area are open and free from ice and snow. It is not a short walk and it is not flat. Will you be able to get to the water's edge -- a double question here, will you be allowed to do it and will you be able to manage it. Do they make special arrangements in winter? Or is it au naturelle?

This is what it looks like in summer. What will it be like in January? Trip Advisor has some winter picture shared by users. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjK5eT_kqzlAhVQUK0KHdIODp4QFjAOegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tripadvisor.com%2FAttraction_Review-g190470-d2336808-Reviews-Saltstraumen-Bodo_Nordland_Northern_Norway.html&usg=AOvVaw0SgIKIyMDpDrcSHTA3vyuK

image.png.8d68a338308fae0a1ccc2f07a6bb50ba.png

image.png.8e350513253a4e2d3cb4f7b21f6192d0.png

See how far it is from the parking lot to the water's edge

image.png.ec61df610682765d9bdb8b12c4c7d946.png

Now one final though since I have been think about this for a while. I just read the description of the tour and it is the same general description that was given three years ago when we did the trip; it has not been adjusted for winter conditions. You may want to direct questions directly to Viking (best reached at tellus@vikingcruises.com).

• Thanks 1

We did this cruise March 2019 and we were able to dock in Bodo (didn’t miss any ports).  In Bodo we opted for the excursion Experience the Arctic Circle which we rated as ‘fair’.  Just wanted to remind you that it gets dark very early, around 4 pm.  Best to book early excursions, otherwise you'll be sightseeing in the dark.  

In order to maximize your chances to see the lights, (strongly) suggest you book a private tour.  Smaller group with a flexible schedule, that’s key.  Have fun!

We were also on one of the March 2019 cruises, ours also missed Bodo, yes it was that one.

I fully endorse the private small group tour suggestion for maximizing your chance to see the lights, we did an excellent tour in Alta and were very glad we did, in fact Glod (not a typo) as we were taken to a very different location and saw this

DSCF3121.JPG