Insignia CPAP socket

stoshb

First trip on Insignia on Dec 28.  Just wondering if there is a plug in next to the bed.  Probably not, as no other ship I have sailed has one.  Just get tired of running my extension cord all over the room just to breathe at night.

Nancy and I both use CPAP's and have been on two of Oceania ships (and third on Dec 6).  Before refurbishment there was enough plugs.  That said we pack a surge power bar for CPAP's as we carry a lot of electronics.  It is my understanding that there are even more outlets since the refurbishment. 

As an aside we both recently  bought travel CPAP's originally for long flights and have been testing them over the last month.  We have decided to use them for the whole trip and take one of our regular CPAP for back up.  

Edited by GICNJC
To clarify

2 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

That said we pack a surge power bar for CPAP's as we carry a lot of electronics.

PLEASE do not take a surge-protected power strip onboard ship.  Many many articles and posts about the inherent danger of surge protectors in a maritime power environment.  Non-surge protected strips - fine.  But even those may be unplugged by housekeeping, per the rule that no electronics are to be plugged in when the cabin in unoccupied.  (As mentioned on my last Oceania cruise)

One thing you should take are adapters that will allow you to utilize the round two-prong "Euro" outlets (220v) IF your devices are certified for that voltage.  Makes for an easier use of outlets throughout the cabin and ship.

• Like 2

We were on Insignia last year after refurbish--yes there are plugs for CPAP at headboard bedside .

My husband has one and for past 10years this has been no problem. They provide you with distilled water as well.

You can specify to O under special requirements and it will all be in place by your room steward by the time you board.

This is a great cruise line that looks after you well.  That's why we will be on our 21st O cruise in December.

Thanks for the info about the plugs on the headboard.  With more and more of us out that hotels and cruise lines need to make sure to have plugs near the bed.  Will take a long time to get there, but every little bit helps.

BTW, I havent use distilled water in years.  Every six months or so I rinse the water chamber out with vinegar.  Sure makes life easier not worrying about the distilled water.

Wish I could get to 21 cruises on any line 😋

We’re currently on Insignia, and the socket by the bed is European type.  I brought my own adapter just in case, and I’m glad I did.  Bring your own adapter or request one.  There are both US and Euro sockets on the desk, as well as USB ports.

5FD08E6A-3AB0-46EE-96A0-A67D6CF857F1.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by YoPhilly
Added photos

Flyertalker, I disagree with your comment on surge protector power bars.  Power always flucates and I am not putting at risk more than $3000 of medical CPAP equipment that can not be replaced at sea.  I can not get any REM sleep without my CPAP, and I would not want to disturb those sleeping in cabins close to me with snoring that was measured just a few decibels under a jet engine. 

The cabin attendents have never disconnected our power bar on any of the cruises we have been on.

5 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Flyertalker, I disagree with your comment on surge protector power bars.  Power always flucates and I am not putting at risk more than $3000 of medical CPAP equipment that can not be replaced at sea.  I can not get any REM sleep without my CPAP, and I would not want to disturb those sleeping in cabins close to me with snoring that was measured just a few decibels under a jet engine. 

The cabin attendents have never disconnected our power bar on any of the cruises we have been on.

Disagree all you want.

There are some articles you might want to read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/31nkbn/is_there_a_technical_reason_why_surge_suppressors/

https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/26645/what-is-it-about-the-cabin-electrical-supply-on-cruise-ships-that-makes-surge-pr

Many others as well, including a number of threads here on CC.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2260556-belkin-mini-5w-3-outlet-swivel-travel-charger/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2268198-power-strip/

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, GICNJC said:

Flyertalker, I disagree with your comment on surge protector power bars.

The problem with surge protectors is they will eventually (7 seconds from now or 70 years, depending upon how much surge they have seen) catch fire when plugged into shipboard power.  Ashore, they're safe, but the way ships wire the "neutral" slot on plugs makes surge protectors afloat a fire waiting to happen.

Here's a US Coast Guard report on two such fires:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/Alerts/03-13b (second version).pdf?ver=2017-07-25-143030-170

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Just off Regatta, first cruise after refurb. We had North American style plug by bed, don't remember if also a European one.

Apparently the Regatta and Insignia are different for some reason as there's only Euro (two pin) plugs and a USB on each side of the bed.  So if using a US CPAP you will need an adapter to plug in by the bed.  

Because of earlier posts in this thread I meant to bring an adaptor but forgot to.

When I got to the cabin and noticed the Euro style plug, I asked  my room attendant for an adaptor, and by the time we were ready for bed my CPAP was plugged in and ready to go.

No hassle, as was everything else on my Insignia voyage.

Just an update.  Plugs for both Europe and NA are on ship since update.

Bonus  when our room attendant saw we both had CPap's we came back from dinner to find a gal container of distilled water on the desk.  Great unexpected bonus.  Did not even know they had it in stock.