Broken Ankle.

jdcruiser60

Have been on 5 cruises before, BUT this is the first time I'll be going with a broken ankle. Happened last Thursday and leave on Carnival Liberty next sunday. Taking crutches, have been advised to rent a scooter or wheelchair. Any suggestions? Have been to all of the ports before so don't mind just sitting, reading and eating; but is is difficult to get around.

Love to hear from others who have had this happen as I am determined not to give up this cruise.

Sorry about your broken ankle. I broke my big toe four days before a cruise last October. I almost didn't go, but decided to tough it out and it was tough. It didn't help that our room was as far from elevators as it could possibly be.

Folks here told me to rent a wheel chair or scooter. It just seemed like a lot of extra bother, so I used a cane. Crutches would be lighter and take up less room, too.

The hardest part was standing in line to board, to debark and standing for the muster. It was hard to manage a cane and a tray and choose food in the buffet. Frankly, I gave up the notion of doing the shore excursions. But actually that turned out to be very relaxing, staying on board with most passengers gone.

If I were you, I think I'd use the crutches , even though they surely can make your arm pits hurt. A wheel chair or scooter present an entirely different set of challenges. But don't give up the cruise, whatever choice you make. I had a lot of fun even though my toe ached the whole time and I had to limit my activities. I hope you will too. I hope your ankle heals soon.

Sorry to hear about your ankle....I have cruised, and I have broken my ankle (2x actually), but never @ the same time. Both times I broke my ankle (1st time in 3 places, 2nd time in 2 places) I was not allowed to put any weight at all on it for a few weeks. If that is your situation, I would defininitely rent a small portable wheel chair and take your crutches. It's not all or nothing. You can for instance wheel to the dining room, and leave the wheelchair outside, walk with your crutches into the dining room. Those halls from one end of the ship to the other are very long. Also, think of embarkation & debarkation. I would imagine they would cut you a break as far as standing in line, but there is still a lot of walking to do. You don't want to be so exhausted you can't enjoy yourself. Another thing, people's UNbroken ankles sometimes tend to swell while on the ship...so try and keep it up as much as possible.

You didn't say how bad a break you have. Hopefully, your ankle is not a severe break and they are allowing you to put weight on it right away...(and it doesn't hurt like hell when you do). If that's the case, maybe you can make it ok without the wheelchair.

Have been on 5 cruises before, BUT this is the first time I'll be going with a broken ankle. Happened last Thursday and leave on Carnival Liberty next sunday. Taking crutches, have been advised to rent a scooter or wheelchair. Any suggestions? Have been to all of the ports before so don't mind just sitting, reading and eating; but is is difficult to get around.

Love to hear from others who have had this happen as I am determined not to give up this cruise.

A folding wheelchair would be a good idea, for a scooter you should have an HC cabin which I am sure you don't because a non folding WC or most scooters will not fit in a reg cabin or even through the door.

If you go to the disability section of these boards there is a lot of info there.

you can rent either of these items from scootaround.com or from carevacations and they will be delivered to the port on your day of sailing. Also tell the cruiseline you will need wheelchair assistance when boarding and then look for a representative when you arrive who direct you or call the person with a chair. they will get you through check in and if you need to pick up the rented chair will take you to it, then will push it with you in it onboard and to your cabin. after that you are on your own, other than assistance when required.

if wanting to go ashore on excursions that the only reason to get a wheelchair rental.

if jsut getting around on aship-- use the ones supplied onboard. I agree with the poster who said about the scooter. It willnot fit in a reg cabin and you will not be able to keep it in the hall. For a scooter you will need to take it to the pursers desk--trade it in for a reg chair.. etc.etc. seems a lot of work.

I sailed on RCI in May 2005 on my honeymoon after having emergency achilles tendon surgery just a week before my wedding. We opted to honeymoon anyway, not cancel, and go with it. Its a great story for everyone when we talk about wedding...and how I went up to alter in a wheelchair :) I didnt use crutches at all on the cruise, although I could have, but that would be soooo tedious!!!! I rented a wheelchair through a private company for my wedding and honeymoon. What a relief. I am sooo glad I got the chair. I think I would thought of my cruise as a job rather than a honeymoon if I had to trot around on crutchest the whole trip.

You need to make sure the chair folds up so you can use your crutches when you enter the stateroom. My wheelchair wouldnt fit in the doorway of room, so I had to crawl around everywhere in room since I didnt bring crutches. THANK THE LORD the shower had rails!! Whew. You may find it tough to catch an elevator with a wheelchair though, as I did. People (rude) would even shut the door in my face as I tried to board because they didnt want to be bothered with making room for me in elevator or me "holding them up" Getting on the tenders were tricky too...but we managed. So, bring a wheelchair with you, but bring your crutches for short distances. I wish I would have for the room, because that was not fun crawling everywhere.

I have also broken my ankle before and that was no fun. Just make sure to follow everything doc tells you to so you can heal right. Dont try to walk on it before doc says its time. I wish you a speedy recovery, and have fun on the cruise. Glad you are goin for it anyway, as I did!

The week before going on our Disney cruise my son broke his right ankle and chipped the left. Luckily a walking cast was what he needed, and crutches. With the walking cast he was able to take it off for sunning, swimming and getting from the catamaran to get to the beach. So did this slow him down? Nooooooooooo, we saw him in the limbo contest, did very well, he told us, at the hockey skills game he was the only one to get a goal. Oh and the young ladies, my my he had 3 hanging off of him. Moral of this post, if you want your broken ankle to ruin your vacation, it will. If you want to have a great time, you'll find a way. Go, have fun, and tell us all about it.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. In Labadee I saw strange looking wheel chairs with big gray tires that could be pushed in the sand. I have no idea where these came from, but I assume Royal Caribbean. At least would be one port day you could do if they have one available for you.

You'll have a fun vacation anyway. You'll just have more stories to tell.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your broken ankle. Our cruise is at the end of April and I'm glad because I am on crutches right now because of a broken bone in my foot. I've wondered often over the last few weeks what I would decide if we were going next week. It's a real dilemma. Whatever you decide, I sure hope that you have a wonderful time.

jdcruiser, sorry to hear about your ankle. I'm glad that you refuse to let this ruin your cruise. I say rent a scooter, that way you don't have to depend on anyone to push you around and you can go off by yourself if you want.

So much has been said already. The only thing I can add is, since it will be hard to maneuver a tray in the buffet, go to the dining room instead whenever you can. We do it all the time with no broken bones. It's a delight to be waited on.

I do hope you heal quickly.

So much has been said already. The only thing I can add is, since it will be hard to maneuver a tray in the buffet, go to the dining room instead whenever you can. We do it all the time with no broken bones. It's a delight to be waited on.

I do hope you heal quickly.

As soon as I entered the Windjammer with my wheelchair, the crew IMMEDIATELY waited on me and took my tray for me to help out. I never once had to worry about that while in buffet line. I just pointed to what I wanted and crew put it on plate. They dont want a lawsuit with you spilling hot food on you or falling, so trust me, they will be there to assist you!!

Oh, and the big wheelchairs in Labadee are fun, but I hated the person from Labadee towing me around. He expected a tip and when I gave him $2 bucks he still had his hand out. I didnt want his help to begin with, because my husband could have towed me...but they are pushy there!!! Just a warning! And it stinks because your crutches wont work in sand there, so you are stuck in the wheelchair.

My wife broke her ankle on Splendour of the Sea in Dec. The wheelchair they provided was poor (rubber on wheel kept coming off). I have read that wheelchairs on other ships are also iffy.

I got a very nice new wheelchair on ebay for $7 (shipping was $50), which might be better than renting. Otherwise, the ship's personnel were super.

Archived