Extended int’l travel with a mobility scooter - 1st time questions and some worries

snowglobe

Hello,

For the first time in January, I’ll be traveling with a mobility scooter : a Pride Go Go LX.

As the thread title says, we’ve got an extended trip planned which includes 30 days of cruising (two b2bs in an accessible cabin), and a long extended independent tour of Australia. Traveling with a Canadian passport through the US for the departure, but not the return.

I would very, very much appreciate any advice and travel hacks that you can share, please.

This type of itinerary is normal for us, but also kind of nuts: two Canadian airports (YOW & YVR), one US lay-over airport (SFO), two connecting airports (DTW, LAX), one international arrival (PPT), 5 domestic flights within Australia, one lay-over airport in NZ (ACK). Total flight segments: 12 - that’s a dozen chances of getting the scooter damaged...

We’re seasoned international flyers, but the mobility scooter is adding a whole lot of worry where there usually is only minimal concern. We have our flights booked with Delta, Air France, Quantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar, Air New Zealand and Air Canada. Tips regarding dealing with any of these would be most welcome! There are forms to fill for most of these, but I seem to be having more trouble with the smaller Aussie carriers (beginning to regret Jetstar, but it’s taking me to Uluru.)

For the North American flights, I understand that I can ride the scooter to the gate, that I will not need to take the gel-cell batteries off, and that I will be able to get it back at the arrival gate (just like the baby strollers), correct? Does this happen at the connecting airports too? (I’ve allowed very generous connecting times, and plenty of cushion time with our arrivals in case of delays.)

Can anyone confirm if I can expect the same in Australia? Quantas’ website seems to indicate that the gel-cell battery will have to be checked in as luggage in a hard case... making the scooter unusable to the gate. I’ve e-mailed Quantas, but have not yet had a response from them, and I couldn’t find a number to call for their special needs assistance dept.. Does Australia have something similar to the ‘disabled passengers rights’ act in N.A.?

I  can walk down the jetway by myself, with a cane. If the airline confirms the scooter, then I do not need wheelchair assist to the gate, correct? How are the security lines for scooters at DTW, SFO and LAX?

How scooter-friendly are taxis and airport hotel shuttles in SFO and YVR?

The scooter’s battery charger is dual voltage. Both Pride Canada and Pride USA have assured me that all I’ll need to charge it in Australia and NZ is a plug adapter from a travel store. Is this really the case? Does it take longer to charge with an adapter, and is there a danger of it over-heating?

I generally avoid having anything visible in a rental car. So, needing the trunk for our luggage in Australia, is it OK to put the disassembled scooter in the back seat of our rental sedan during ’driving days’?

Can you please share links for resources or forums that could be useful for planning scooter sightseeing, for stays of several days in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Ayers Rock Resort, Darwin, Brisbane and Auckland. I have several private tours booked for the ports of call in New Zealand, and will post separately for those.

I’m tired of sitting out on a bench or in the car, when DH and my friends explore and visit when we travel or cruise. So I’m looking forward to trying out an alternative way of traveling, with different trade-offs...

Thanks for reading this far, and many more thank you’s for any and all suggestions.

Thank you both for the very useful replies!

I posted on the Australia/NZ board as suggested and am getting good replies. I’ll seek out that blog, it sounds like a valuable read.

Edited by snowglobe