Noumea - Travel Insurance

You just reminded me to get our insurance for the cruise we booked this past fortnight.  We always get travel insurance.  We probably have it on our credit card but we also get it through Australia Post as well who are Covermore who will cover my pre-existing conditions.  We have only once gone to claim insurance and it wasn't for health reasons, it was because our airline decided to cancel our flights to get to our cruise the day before we were due to fly.  They did offer to move us to another flight - 3 days later.  Not helpful.  Where we live there are very limited flights and luckily we were able to secure some on another airline, but not direct and at a high cost.  We were trying to claim some of the difference in price.  The pain was that the difference in price per person was only about $20 over the excess each so my husband gave up for $80 once the cancelled tickets were refunded.

20 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

We always get travel insurance.  We probably have it on our credit card but we also get it through Australia Post as well who are Covermore who will cover my pre-existing conditions. 

This reminds me of a question I have previously considered, as I have TI via my employer's business insurance, which includes private travel in addition to business travel, and also have had insurance thru my cc . In the case that there are potentially two insurers, how does that work in terms of claims? Does one take precedence over the other? Does there become a demarcation dispute?  I doubt I can get paid twice 🙂

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

This reminds me of a question I have previously considered, as I have TI via my employer's business insurance, which includes private travel in addition to business travel, and also have had insurance thru my cc . In the case that there are potentially two insurers, how does that work in terms of claims? Does one take precedence over the other? Does there become a demarcation dispute?  I doubt I can get paid twice 🙂

Read the terms of your CC insurance - you will probably find that they only pay if no other insurer will pay first! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

agreed, but how is it decided who pays first?

Well my CC  insurances says something like " we only pay if there is no other insurer involved and you can't get a claim from them" in legallise so many , many more paragraphs than that  

ETA - found it! 

Except for section 4A Events 1-16 inclusive, there is no cover under this policy for any loss or event or liability which is covered under any other insurance policy, health or medical scheme or Act of Parliament or to the extent that free healthcare or treatment is available under any reciprocal health agreement between the Government of New Zealand and the Government of any other country or is payable by any other source. These other sources will be considered the primary provider and must be claimed on in the first instance. We will, however, pay the difference between what is payable under the other insurance policy, health or medical scheme or Act of Parliament or reciprocal health agreement or such other source and what you would be otherwise entitled to recover under this policy.

https://www.checkyourcover.co.nz/assets/theme/anz/docs/PolicyBooklet.pdf p20 -  paragraph #2 

Edited by lissie