Water bottle off ship...Ruby Princess not allowed?

On 11/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, Bubbeh said:

We always travel with 750ml Tupperware bottles which I fill / refill with potable water out of the tap in our cabin.  Sometimes I refill from the water station in the buffet using the glass to bottle technique but spillage is always a problem and people get irritated* because it takes a short while.  Cruising NZ on the Sun Princess in 2018, I took ship's water off and brought  NZ water back.  Nobody has ever questioned me about this practice and I've cruised to 16 countries since 2012.  However, if I were queried by NZ Bio Officers, I would be polite and comply with their requirements.  It never pays to challenge anyone with the power to fine, detain or cavity search you.  Unless, of course, at least one of these forms part of your bucket list.

*Don't understand why people get irritated on a ship.  In my mind, 'tis all about settle petal and smell the roses.

I bring a funnel. I get a glass of water. Then use f mess.unnel into my bottle. No

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:47 PM, kiwimeggles said:

Inline with when you fly into NZ you cannot bring non-commercially bottled or packaged water or food for example home made chocolates, confectionary or biscuits etc as the ingredients or in case of the water the source is unknown. Whilst the water on the ship may have been treated for drinking the origin is unknown and may still contain foreign bodies not native to NZ. It is clearly explained on the NZ government department of primary industry biosecurity webpage for all incoming tourists. They have a page specifically for cruise passengers. I think if travelling to NZ the regulations should be respected these rules are in place to protect our beautiful but sensitive ecosystem from foreign organisms. 

That is not correct. I have taken homemade Christmas cake across the border in both New Zealand and Australia. Both cakes contained eggs and nuts. What I did do was declare them to border officials who had a look at them and waved me on. Bringing water across the border at both countries has also never been a problem. One must remember that in order to take any liquid through security prior to boarding an aircraft it must be less than 100ml and declared to security in a clear plastic bag. Water on a cruise ship is about as pure as water can be. Don't go looking for problems where there aren't any.

• Like 1

We have just returned from a NZ cruise on Sea Princess. We did see an inspection dog on board the ship around passengers disembarking at Port Chalmers but at none of the other ports and did not see anyone inspecting bags of disembarking passengers. A lot of passengers were obviously carrying water. My bag was searched when reboarding in Auckland "In case you are carrying a knife"!