Cruising after Universal vacation - questions

slmiller99

We are taking our 1st cruise after a week at Universal and have a couple of questions. Does anyone know of a company that would pick us up at a hotel near Universal Studios and take us to Port Canaveral or should we use Lyft/Uber? Does Carnival enforce the 1 bag per person limit? We have 2 bags each because of the length of our vacation. The bags will fit inside each other once we have unpacked so we arent worried about storage space in the cabin. Thanks!!

I've cruised out of Port Canaveral 3 times after Universal vacations, using Uber or Lyft for each. I travel alone with my special needs sister and it's been effortless each time. I check the rates to see which service is cheaper, we then gather our luggage and call for a ride on the app when we are ready at the entrance of the hotel. They arrive within minutes, the last one seemed like seconds lol, because they are usually stationed around the resort area. 

How exciting you're taking your 1st cruise! Welcome to cruise critic!

Edited by Host Kat
Thread moved to a more correct forum.

Where did you read about a 1 bag per person rule??
I am Platinum on Carnival and have never heard of such a thing!!!

Is someone pranking you???

There are no rules about how much luggage you can take on a cruise!

IF you are carrying it on board yourself you need to be able to handle it alone.

IF you are checking luggage then you can check as much as you like!

Thank you all for the info! As far as the 1 bag limit I saw it on the Carnival FAQs under luggage info. It only printed 2 luggage tags for our cabin and I was trying to figure out why. I am guessing it is just a suggestion though based on your responses. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, slmiller99 said:

Thank you all for the info! As far as the 1 bag limit I saw it on the Carnival FAQs under luggage info. It only printed 2 luggage tags for our cabin and I was trying to figure out why. I am guessing it is just a suggestion though based on your responses. Thanks again!

Yes, under the FAQ Carnival does suggest limiting luggage but they won't limit you;  you can take as many bags as you want.   However, if it was me I would probably take less clothes or do laundry before leaving Universal instead of trying to deal with 4 bags in the cabin (unless you have a suite).

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:51 PM, slmiller99 said:

We are taking our 1st cruise after a week at Universal and have a couple of questions. Does anyone know of a company that would pick us up at a hotel near Universal Studios and take us to Port Canaveral or should we use Lyft/Uber? Does Carnival enforce the 1 bag per person limit? We have 2 bags each because of the length of our vacation. The bags will fit inside each other once we have unpacked so we arent worried about storage space in the cabin. Thanks!!

Carnival doesn't have an one back per person limit; anyone who told you that is sooooo wrong.  My kiddo always brings two bags, and then I have one 😄 do need not worry about that.

We like to hire a private car you can hire a shuttle through Mears, or Orlando Limo Ride (all but one time we have used them they upgraded us to a limo from a towncar which is always a fun time).  We also have rented cars from the airport, but that's then an extra step going from Universal to MCO to the rental section to the port (annoying).  

I would just Uber or Lyft from your hotel to the port, or use a one-way car rental - all of the rental agencies in Cocoa Beach will shuttle you to the port after you return the car..

If your hotel offers a shuttle to MCO airport you can catch one of several shared shuttles from there to PC - fares start at about $20 per person.  Check with Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle and others.

Have a great cruise! 😎

If you’re staying at/near Universal there should be rental agencies nearby that wouldn’t require you to go back to MCO.  All agencies near the port will have shuttles to take you to the ship, however it may be easiest to drop your party and luggage off then drop the car off yourself and ride the shuttle back without bags.  

Worth at least pricing out a one way rental to compare costs as it definitely can come in cheaper.

• Like 1