QM2 on 3 pods - Marlow Comments - little change to schedules

guernseyguy

Courtesy of Winchester, I thought this might be worth highlighting given people's anxiety over possible changes to schedules or fear of cancelled crossings/cruises. Lets hope Marlow has it right! Thanks Winchester:

We have answers to a couple of the questions. From a cruise news source February 1, 2006:

--------------------

"What will it mean to have QM2 operating on three pods?

Cunard President Carol Marlow tells us the liner still sails faster than most ships do normally, and she anticipates little disruption. "She's not too much below her normal cruising speed, so for the most part, future itineraries won't be impacted," reports Marlow.

On the occasional times that there will be slight adjustments, Marlow assures that guests will be informed well before departure. "We've gone through the itineraries going forward over the next nine months. On transatlantics, we will make some slight changes to the arrival and departure times, but it won't affect the schedule. It will all be done in the same number of nights."

Eventually a drydock will take place, likely before the 2007 world cruise. "We have yet to work out exactly when that will be," says Marlow. "There will be good advance notice when and if it's necessary. It may not disrupt things at all, or it might make some minor disruptions."

Looks like they may be squeezing Transatlantic turn arounds, but apart from that no real changes.....further proof that they built a Liner with reserves of speed.

Peter

Well............ must be some serious damage, rather than just the blades!

Anyway, I hope what Ms Marlow says is true and that everyone on voyages in the near future can relax.

Very surprised that they will undertake the Transatlantic season in the present condition. Guess we will all just have to wait now for 2007 to enjoy the QM2 with 100% power & speed.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like they may be squeezing Transatlantic turn arounds, but apart from that no real changes.....further proof that they built a Liner with reserves of speed.

Peter

Too true Peter. By everyday, average cruise ship standards, it hardly seems she's hobbling. Liner indeed :)

There appears to be a two-day window on the transatlantic schedule following the eastbound journey on April 15, the westbound trip doesn't leave until April 23. Perhaps this was intended as a public relations cruise for travel agents. Seems this brief spurt of time might be better used for a little pod maintenance.

There was a recent thread questioning where QM2 would be during this two day period, April 21-23, now perhaps we know.

Jonathan

Unfortunately she now has no reserve. Lets hope they dont have bad weather or medical evacuations in 2007.

Stephen,

IIRC a great circle 6 night crossing averages a bit under 25 knots - if what was posted earlier about her max now 28 knots she still has a knot or two up her sleeve! Of course not as much as with 4 pods....

Peter

I just hope earlier than later. That "before the 2007 World Cruise" sounds ominious to me as I got her booked on December 2. I would hate to wait 11 months only to not end up having a 2006 vacation after all. Oh well, I really hate to have someone else robbed of a trip too so let's hope it'll be sometime where it impacts very little.

There appears to be a two-day window on the transatlantic schedule following the eastbound journey on April 15, the westbound trip doesn't leave until April 23.

Seems this brief spurt of time might be better used for a little pod maintenance.

There was a recent thread questioning where QM2 would be during this two day period, April 21-23, now perhaps we know.

Jonathan

My man at Cunard tells me that this is exactly what is planned...

I'm with you Bramcruiser. We are booked for the Dec 2nd cruise as well. We're traveling with our oldest friends to celebrate my husband's birthday. I've booked a charter fishing trip for him in St Thomas and am certainly hoping we'll all be there on the QM2 with or without that missing pod! It took me long enough to convince him to try cruising again after a less than memorable NCL trip years ago. I certainly don't want anyone else to miss their trip either so let's all hope that those open April days will be the charm! By the way, we have a Roll Call started on the Roll Call forum if you'd like to join us. Penny

I am also booked on a cruise in December- I was just going to reply that I guess it doesn't matter when you have a reservation for the fact that it is going to be fixed sometime before the World cruise leaves all of us with cruises booked for the remainder of the year to worry about who is going to be cancelled if anyone- One can only hope it will all work out well- two days doesn't seem like very much time to fixe something to me!!!:D

My man at Cunard tells me that this is exactly what is planned...

Kyle,

Very interesting. Hopefully with enough lead time to plan this pod repair, the job will ultimately be carried out within that two day window without any hitches.

Jonathan

Is it just me being daft here, but if indeed QM2 can operate virtually at full speed on 3 pods, they why did Cunard deem it necessary to miss all the ports on the way to Rio, and create such mayhem with passengers and media alike?

Doesnt seem to add up......

Is it just me being daft here, but if indeed QM2 can operate virtually at full speed on 3 pods, they why did Cunard deem it necessary to miss all the ports on the way to Rio, and create such mayhem with passengers and media alike?

Doesnt seem to add up......

Because she left Fort Lauderdale 2 days late.......

Peter

Archived