Zenith Review - A Disappointment

artvlay

I was on the Zenith in May 2005 and felt the service (dining room) was the best I ever had. Better than Cunard, Carnival, NCL, RCCL and other Celebrity ships I been on.

Kurt

I certainly can't say ours was the best we ever had being our waiter took great pains every night at the end of the meal to lecture us on how hard he worked to make us happy. He may have worked hard, but on a 5 night cruise he neglected to give my husband a menu twice and the one time DH ordered double entree the waiter came over twice to see if DH was finished with the sccond one. We felt a bit rushed. Other than that everything was fine; average but certainly noting to gripe about. As for renovations: our cabin CC class had new carpets and spreads plus great quality sheets. yes, the ship was renovated and my understanding still in the process of changing decor, working from the top deck down. That is just what we have been told. One thing we all have to remember, what ship or line that thrills some will be a disappointment to others. That is why all ships are sailing almost full right now. NMNita

We just returned from a 5 day Zenith cruise January 23-27. There was soooo much food along with great service. There was always pizza, as well as hamburgers and hot dogs. Yes the ship was older but that didn't deter a great crew, great service, fantastice food and wonderful shows. We attended each show and the Celebrity singers and dancers were fantastic. They did a great tribute to broadway shows. If folks are looking for everything shinning and sparkling new then a cruise on a maiden voyage of a ship is what they want. Zenith was great - she is a smaller ship consider what is out there now but my DH and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with her and her great crew again.

Perhaps on your cruises there were things out but the crew on the ship was VERY quick to clean everything up, even when you were sitting and eating. So if you go there at ten to 2 there was NOTHING out.

This was at breakfast as well. They'd come around cleaning the tables while your sitting and eating.

I understand that the ship has to be neat and clean but you don't grab people's plates when they've put their fork down for a minute.

Everything felt like a marathon. You couldn't sit and leisurely enjoy unless you got up at the crack of dawn and frankly that isn't much of a vacation.

You'd think they'd be a little more lenient with the times considering they're in port and people do leave the ship. We had late seating but had we known this is how Celebrity does things we would've schedueled for earlier seating. Then that would've opened another can of worms with what to do with the eveing since the shows weren't at all good.

There wasn't any pizza there were only hot dogs and hamburgers, neither of which I eat.

Why should people have to sit in their rooms, wait there for room service?

In most parts of the world 2-3 is still considered lunch time.

I just thought it was a bit harsh and unnecessary for a cruiseline. But if this is how all their ships work, its nice to know before hand instead of returning from being on shore everyday (after being used to other lines having food out) and finding nothing there.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure many people like this about this line.

And as far as the condition of both ships, they were both not good. So perhaps it went in for rehab or something since I was on it.

We don't expect food to be out on port days. If it is, it's limited, and frankly, on port days may hurry people along, but it's because they are turning around the buffet and dining areas for the dinner.

When we go into port, we solve this problem by eating in port. Hubby and I order a couple of dishes and share, and we almost always are full until dinner. If we're hungry when we come back, we go to our cabin and order something from room service, take a nap, and chill. Works for us.

We're looking forward to booking our first Celebrity cruise soon.

Responding to the comments of others

I said the food was slightly better than others and the waffles were excellent.

One of you said that the drydock was for mechanical problems and one said that it was for carpeting. I didn't see anything new.

It is interesting that I just took a last minute cruise on business on the Carnival Fantasy. It was a 3 night trip from Port Canaveral. I never was on Carnival before because of a perception that it wasn't up to the other lines.

The Fantasy (about the same age as Zentih) was also recently in drydock, recently and there were numerous updated things onboard. Carpeting, bathrooms, a mini golf course.

I was able to see things that were updated unlike that of Zenith.

I wrote this to point out my opinion and realize that others see things in a different light and I think its great to offer other opinions. But after 22 cruises I have something to compare good and bad issues to. And think it helps when planning a vacation.

Were we all on the same ship? There was new carpeting everywhere, halls, pool area, rooms, new soft goods in the rooms. I think the only rooms that have not yet been refurbished is on the 4th floor, is that where you were. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I would sail this ship again in a heartbeat.

Except for the bathrooms, I saw nothing wrong with this ship, it has just been refurbished, new carpeting, new soft goods in the staterooms. This ship is in great condition for a 13 year old vessel. It is sparkling clean.

I was on the Horizon several years ago, Pa to Bermuda, and it appeared very shabby to me, worn carpeting etc. I really didn;t see anything wrong with the Zenith.

Hello there, slotaddict! ... greetings from a fellow Jerseyite!

I can't agree with you more. Was onboard Zenith 2 years ago, and the condition impressed me! Granted, there were areas that had the usual wear and tear, but hey ... hi-traffic conditions will do that.

My overall feelings are that this ship is a keeper, and Celeb has been giving some TLC recently. And I can't look at it as 'shabby' .... well lived-in is more like it. Can't wait to see her again in May!

:)

And there are burgers, hot dogs and pizzas during that time, then tea starts at 4, plus room service. Give me a break!

I think this is a good point, Gail, but driving it home with "give me a break" is a little harsh.

Everyone has an opinion and here is one of mine. I think the OP has a good point in that the times certain food venues open and close on Celebrity can be improved. For instance, we just returned from the Century, 7-night Western Caribbean cruise yesterday. We finally got to try the Sushi bar because we had late seating, as opposed to early on Mercury last April. In other words, people with early seating couldn't choose this dining option, unless they went after dinner. Highly unlikely that anyone would do that AFTER eating a five course meal. We heard several people comment on this and agree. NO - no one is going to "starve to death" between 2 and 4, but if you have to be back on the ship for an earlier port departure, and you are realllllly hungry after running around a port trying to see as much as possible, wouldn't it be nice to keep one side of the buffet stocked all day? Afterall, the same items are on it all the time anyway. The sushi bar, as well as the themed night buffets only happen on one tiny part of the buffet so it's not like they have to clear the entire place for that.

BTW, I am writing a review on our cruise last week and there are good things and bad things. Did the bad things ruin our cruise? Absolutely not, but I think the fair thing is to be honest about the whole picture without ridicule or argument. So I'm putting it all out there like it or not. :D ;) :D

I and my wife and her parents just arrived home from a 5 day cruise on the Zenith. We left on the 28th of January. I had some reservations about this ship and itinerary. It was our 7th cruise and my inlaws first. I have only cruised on newer and bigger ships.

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience.

The whole experience was great! I found the ship to show some age but surely not as bad as some others have expressed. The service was great and the friendliness of the staff outstanding.

We had a rear room on the 5th floor and on our first night, we experienced some problems. I expressed these to guest services and they moved us to an new and better room. I did not expect nor request this. It just showed me how exceptional the service is with Celebrity. The following night, we had some excessive noise in the room next to ours, I tried to resolve this on my own with no success. I made the front desk aware of this, they followed up the next day to see if it was resolved. It had been. I also received a written apology for the excessive noise.

The food was very good and our waiters were fantastic!

Our room was very comfortable and always very clean.

I more than received my money's worth.

I think if one desires 5 star service and accomodations, they should be willing to pay 5 star prices.

I would highly recommend this ship to anyone, I also would cruise it again in a heartbeat.

From Minnesota

Archived